Proposal: Carolina - Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Carolina: Artturi Lehkonen + 2nd
Montreal: Jake Bean

Carolina is reportedly looking for a top 9 forward. They are heavy on D depth. Habs could slot Bean right into the lineup on the left side. Habs throw in a 2nd to even out trade.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Seems like a really good offer for both sides. I could see Carolina maybe holding out for a better one for one or adding to Bean for a bigger impact player but value wise in a vacuum this seems fair

Reactions: alasania94

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
What kind of gift basket says "thanks for trying to **** me over, but actually doing me a huge favor?"

Overripe fruit?

Processed cheese food and low-quality meats like bologna, potted meat and deviled ham?

Lets see how great the Canes feel about it when he's a FA in 5 years. Thats what they were trying to avoid.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I feel that your offer is fair. If we are going to get a lower scorer, we would need a righty.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Lehkonen does nothing for Carolina. He's not a RHS. He's not a player that will help on the PP. He doesn't bring that Ferland-like physical element that the team might look add back to the lineup. His production isn't good enough to offset the blandness of the fit.

If you want to sell Carolina a McGinn-like replacement for McGinn's spot in the Top 9, it better be be cheap. Bean is far from cheap. Easy pass.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't really see how either team comes out ahead in this. Lehkonen doesn't really fit a need for Carolina, Bean isn't the top pairing D that Montreal needs. Value isn't outrageous though.

Reactions: Tryamw

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
That contract was a gift for Carolina. They should be sending a gift basket to MB for it
A lot of people don't realize that Aho could have cost the Canes 10 Million plus over 8 years. I agree it was a gift to end our negotiations with him. Aho, knew the Canes would match that type of offer sheet, He also knew if he signed for 10 to 11 million the Canes would have let him walk.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Eh, its fine. I'm not sure Montreal needs to throw a 2nd to even anything out or that Bean would play in the NHL right away.

Lets see how great the Canes feel about it when he's a FA in 5 years. Thats what they were trying to avoid.

They should have offered up enough to avoid Aho going to Free Agency then. Aho didn't have to sign the offer sheet. He was the only guy who did last off-season. If the story is that Aho never wanted to leave Carolina and signed the offer to settle the issue quickly, then it kind of looks like it was on Carolina for not coming to terms quickly enough.

And its not like any other team with a big name RFA got a lot of term. If I recall correctly, the only forwards with more term were Rantanen, Marner and Connor. They all play less valuable positions and only Connor had a lower ES (and isn't as good as Rantanen, Marner or Aho).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don’t how or why Montreal would add a second round pick to a very useful and still young Lehkonen to acquire a 21 years old D who has yet to prove anything at the NHL level and has a so-so beginning of season in the AHL

if anything, it would be the other way around

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Eh, its fine. I'm not sure Montreal needs to throw a 2nd to even anything out or that Bean would play in the NHL right away.

They should have offered up enough to avoid Aho going to Free Agency then. Aho didn't have to sign the offer sheet. He was the only guy who did last off-season. If the story is that Aho never wanted to leave Carolina and signed the offer to settle the issue quickly, then it kind of looks like it was on Carolina for not coming to terms quickly enough.

And its not like any other team with a big name RFA got a lot of term. If I recall correctly, the only forwards with more term were Rantanen, Marner and Connor. They all play less valuable positions and only Connor had a lower ES (and isn't as good as Rantanen, Marner or Aho).
The problem was the Canes FO was firm on wanting a 7/8 year contract, Aho was firm on wanting a 5 year contract. The only way for the FO to "force" the issue was wait Aho out in hopes he agreed to a longer contract...Aho didn't want to drag it out all summer, so he signed a beneficial Offer Sheet pretty much knowing Carolina would match and he'd get the 5 year deal he wanted. Canes didn't do anything that every other FO wasn't doing in trying to wait it out, Aho was just the only player to use his leverage to force it the other way.
I don’t how or why Montreal would add a second round pick to a very useful and still young Lehkonen to acquire a 21 years old D who has yet to prove anything at the NHL level and has a so-so beginning of season in the AHL

I don't think the value is far off in a vacuum, but I don't see any reason for the Canes to do it as it doesn't fill any need (as someone else said, you don't replace McGinn with McGinn). Bean has developed well so far in the AHL and still has potential to be a top 4 D, which is probably more valueable than 3rd line winger (who can maybe fill in on 2nd line)? He's also on waiver-exempt ELC and 21 where as Lehkonen pretty much is what he is already.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The problem was the Canes FO was firm on wanting a 7/8 year contract, Aho was firm on wanting a 5 year contract. The only way for the FO to "force" the issue was wait Aho out in hopes he agreed to a longer contract...Aho didn't want to drag it out all summer, so he signed a beneficial Offer Sheet pretty much knowing Carolina would match and he'd get the 5 year deal he wanted. Canes didn't do anything that every other FO wasn't doing in trying to wait it out, Aho was just the only player to use his leverage to force it the other way.

And that's always the risk there. But other Connor (who isn't really in the same tier), no forward got 7/8 years.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Lehkonen is 24 and he has pretty much hit his ceiling, not that Bean is the answer for our D problems.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing Lehkonen and this proposal is meh for both sides. The 2nd is probably the most valuable piece in it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Lehkonen is 24 and he has pretty much hit his ceiling, not that Bean is the answer for our D problems.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing Lehkonen and this proposal is meh for both sides. The 2nd is probably the most valuable piece in it.

I mean, we definitely wouldn't trade Bean for just a 2nd so no, it's not the most valuable piece of this deal. Bean's progressed just fine for the Canes.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't think the value is far off in a vacuum, but I don't see any reason for the Canes to do it as it doesn't fill any need (as someone else said, you don't replace McGinn with McGinn). Bean has developed well so far in the AHL and still has potential to be a top 4 D, which is probably more valueable than 3rd line winger (who can maybe fill in on 2nd line)? He's also on waiver-exempt ELC and 21 where as Lehkonen pretty much is what he is already.

The issue I have is while Bean is 21, he still hasn’t shown he can produce, let alone be an NHL caliber player on a daily basis. He may get there at some point but it’s still unknown. While Lehkonen might be a more known commodity, he’s still just turned 24 and is already a very well rounded two-way forward, an excellent forechecker who’s good for 30+ points a year.

I can’t say whether he makes sense for Carolina or not, but I can (and easily) say that Bean doesn’t get you Lehkonen unless he proves he can at least be an NHL regular.

You wouldn’t, I would. He’s a very useful player and we need him to be able to run 4 lines and play the style we want to play to be a competitive team.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The issue I have is while Bean is 21, he still hasn’t shown he can produce, let alone be an NHL caliber player on a daily basis. He may get there at some point but it’s still unknown. While Lehkonen might be a more known commodity, he’s still just turned 24 and is already a very well rounded two-way forward, an excellent forechecker who’s good for 30+ points a year.

I can’t say whether he makes sense for Carolina or not, but I can (and easily) say that Bean doesn’t get you Lehkonen unless he proves he can at least be an NHL regular.

You wouldn’t, I would. He’s a very useful player and we need him to be able to run 4 lines and play the style we want to play to be a competitive team.

Yeah we don’t need a 30+ point two way player. We have enough bottom 6 guys like that. We need an upgrade on McGinn for our top 6. Bean as a 21 year old commodity has way more value than a player like Lek who doesn’t move the needle for ya at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad