GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Ottawa Senators l February 7th @ 7:30 l Scotiabank Place

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Man, it feels great to wake up to having won a game like that.

I'm with Dave on this one: this tastes better after the past few seasons of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory on what you can only call a regular basis. Last season this is the type of game we would have played the role of Ottawa: Good game? Lose in OT.

Reminded me of a few games in 06 where the entire team looked terrible and still ended up winning 3-1 or something. Those games are good because they can serve as a wakeup call to the team, but you still pick up points in the standings anyway. Better than the alternative.

Reactions: MinJaBen

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Amusing tweets from Grapes this morning:

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC

1. Ottawa lost last night. Shouldn't have. Outshot Carolina 47-23 including 17-3 in 2nd period. Karlsson alone had 11 shots. When Cam Ward

2. Is hot, there is noone better. My buddy from TO, Jay Harrison had a goal and an assist +2 and 3 hits. Remember he couldn't play for the

3. Toronto Maple Leafs

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
-Totally forgot what I had bet on this game: 2-2 after regulation :nod:

-Char want return a first line.

-Westgarth spent more time on the ice during the post game celebration than he did during the game.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don't understand what Westgarth's role is. I think I understand what it is supposed to be, but that's not what is happening. Why dress him if he's not going to play? I don't get it. I know this isn't breaking new ground or anything I just felt the need to say it. Maybe someone has some kind of insight into it I don't have?

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
I don't understand what Westgarth's role is. I think I understand what it is supposed to be, but that's not what is happening. Why dress him if he's not going to play? I don't get it. I know this isn't breaking new ground or anything I just felt the need to say it. Maybe someone has some kind of insight into it I don't have?

He brings psychological support to the players. Intangibles like that. He's a character guy. He motivates and excites those around him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ryan Murphy should be forced to watch every game film of Erik Karlsson. The way he uses his skating and skills to be effective on both ends of the ice is pretty impressive.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

It's an insurance policy.

If we need someone to fight a guy like Chris Neil or a Senator of even lesser skill, who does it? We don't want to lose Gleason or Harrison for 5 minutes+, and none of our forwards fight.

If we jump out to a big early lead, and the other team puts out a goon line, we put out Westgarth, again so nobody of value has to do the fighting.

Is it worth a spot in the lineup? Eh. Personally, I'd rather see Semin/Skinner/Bowman double shifting, than get whoever the mystery 12th man is that is wasting away on the sidelines while Westgarth takes his spot.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Ryan Murphy should be forced to watch every game film of Erik Karlsson. The way he uses his skating and skills to be effective on both ends of the ice is pretty impressive.

Every defenseman on this team should watch him play. He's a guy that can pinch in the offensive end of the ice and not give up a goal everytime doing it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Every defenseman on this team should watch him play. He's a guy that can pinch in the offensive end of the ice and not give up a goal everytime doing it.

Most of the guys don't have the skating ability to play like he does so if they play the game like he does, they'll be toast.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Re the game, it's nice to win a game by just being the more talented team.

As well as the Sens played, they are a bunch of nobodies, Erik Karlsson, and Craig Anderson. And playing really well isn't necessarily enough to beat an okay game from the Staal's, Semin, Skinner, and Ward.

That's encouraging.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Most of the guys don't have the skating ability to play like he does so if they play the game like he does, they'll be toast.

I'd venture to say the only two that even come close in the entire system are Joni and Murphy.

Not that our dmen can't skate (quite the contrary), just that Karlsson is basically in a tier that consists of himself for dmen in the league in that regard right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'd venture to say the only two that even come close in the entire system are Joni and Murphy.

Not that our dmen can't skate (quite the contrary), just that Karlsson is basically in a tier that consists of himself for dmen in the league in that regard right now.

I agree. I'm not at all insinuating that Murphy can become Erik Karlsson. What I am saying is that with Murphy's skating/skills, but his smaller size, he's going to have to learn to play the game like Karlsson if he wants to maximize his potential. It's obviously more than skills as there is a huge mental component to it as well.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I agree. I'm not at all insinuating that Murphy can become Erik Karlsson. What I am saying is that with Murphy's skating/skills, but his smaller size, he's going to have to learn to play the game like Karlsson if he wants to maximize his potential. It's obviously more than skills as there is a huge mental component to it as well.

Definitely won't disagree with that. There was another thread where I was talking about the idea of trading Murphy or Rask for immediate help, where the biggest thing to note on Murphy is that he needs time in the AHL to develop that kind of defensive game. He's doing fairly well in the OHL right now in developing defensively, but he probably should get the McBain treatment his first year pro. We absolutely need to give Murphy time to get that aspect of his game working. And as you said Karlsson's about as good a model as you can get for that. Karlsson's a work in progress defensively of course, but his style of defense is what these offense oriented small, fast guys are going to have to work with to be effective.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh

I knew the guy was pretty fast, but last night he seemed to be in warp speed. I really like that Karlsson guy. And wans't he still on the board when we picked up Boychuk? Damn shame.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I knew the guy was pretty fast, but last night he seemed to be in warp speed. I really like that Karlsson guy. And wans't he still on the board when we picked up Boychuk? Damn shame.

He was the next pick....which led to many of my JR is an idiot for not drafting defensemen in round 1 tirades.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I remember the 2008 draft being the first draft that I watched, considering I had just begun to avidly watch hockey that season. My dad and I were out of town, I'm not sure where, and I was freaking out about how we had to eat dinner someplace quick so that I could turn the draft on when we got back to the hotel.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
The Karlsson pick was blasted in the Ottawa media, and internally there was a big debate in the organization as well.

The asst GM didn't want EK, but the Director of PP pushed really hard for the pick. If memory serves it was the PP guy's first draft as well...talk about making your mark.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Karlsson pick was blasted in the Ottawa media, and internally there was a big debate in the organization as well.

The asst GM didn't want EK, but the Director of PP pushed really hard for the pick. If memory serves it was the PP guy's first draft as well...talk about making your mark.

I do remember some people saying that it was one hell of a reach to take him at #15. Not sure who was favored to go there, Del Zotto maybe?, but prettymuch everyone but McKenzie was surprised by that pick if I remember the reaction on TSN correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad