Rumor: Carolina Hurricanes offered 1 million USD to Spartak Moscow/KHL for D Nikishin

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
My understanding is that in lieu of a transfer agreement, KHL players have to buyout their own contracts. NHL teams can't assist as that would be considered player compensation outside of the CBA.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
His NHL rights appear to be own by the Canes. But lets not pretend players are not signed as free agents and enter in our CBA contracts. The only thing holding this back is his current KHL contract so if you come to agreement on buying out the contract, you can make this happen.
That is not how Russian players’ rights work. Without a transfer agreement, teams have the rights to sign a Russian draftee indefinitely. Even if the player finishes their ELC and goes back to Russia, the team just needs to offer a qualifying offer to maintain their rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This kind of deal shouldn't surprise anybody who's had to work in Russia - especially in sectors like energy. From what oil patch people tell me money talks and gets things done there. I can see where a million US would get a KHL team's attention and motivate them to release a player.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I feel like there would be a lot of pressure on a Russian team to never accept something like this, but maybe I'm wrong.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
I think the NHL should be wary of letting this kind of thing happen, otherwise this could become a racket where every Russian prospect will be pressured to sign longer term deals with KHL teams just to get the buyout money.

They'll be stuck with those contracts and shoot themselves in the foot if they think they can extort NHL clubs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My understanding is that in lieu of a transfer agreement, KHL players have to buyout their own contracts. NHL teams can't assist as that would be considered player compensation outside of the CBA.
This. It's not entirely impossible I suppose that an NHL team could try some underhanded circumvention by trying to secretly do something under the table... but I just don't think they would take that chance. The penalty they would face if they got caught would be too steep, it wouldn't be worth it. It doesn't mean they didn't talk to Nikishin about whether he would be interested in buying out his deal and whether THAT was a possibility, and that conversation could easily have drifted into his agent saying "hey, can you help me do that, then"... to which they could have said "we have an ELC sitting here worth $1M a year for him if you can pull it off" or things along those lines. Which isn't the same thing.

Nikishin is still just 21. So he'll be 24 when his new deal is up. Unfortunate that they have to wait on him, he'd be a star already in the NHL, teams would offer a lot more than $1M to get him over here today, if they could.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
1--Nikishin is a Canes drafted prospect

2--the rumored offer was to Spartak and not his current team, which he was traded to in July 2022. If the offer happened, it would not only have been before that date, but probably around the time of their last game in January 2022 BEFORE the Russian Invasion

3--the offered payment was NOT to Nikishin but to Spartak to release the contract--so not player compensation

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
According to journalist Zislis (reliable source), Carolina Hurricanes offered 1 million USD to Spartak Moscow (KHL) to buy out D Alexander Nikishin. This happened when he played for Spartak but Zislis does not specify the time. Nikishin was traded to SKA in 2022.

Based on NHL Transfer Agreement with Sweden etc, the European club gets around 300k USD for player. The sum is not negotiable & can not be refused by European club.

The NHL doesn't allow teams to buyout contracts or otherwise negotiate transfer fees outside of the NHL Transfer Agreements.

So I'm going to doubt this report is accurate.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That is not how Russian players’ rights work. Without a transfer agreement, teams have the rights to sign a Russian draftee indefinitely. Even if the player finishes their ELC and goes back to Russia, the team just needs to offer a qualifying offer to maintain their rights.

In your second case, so long as the player fulfilled their ELC and the team made a qualifying offer then they will hold their rights until the player reaches Age 27. At which time the player becomes a UFA--standard 10.2(a) RFA rules.

The indefinite rights only apply to players who were never signed at all, or who didn't fulfill their NHL contract before signing with another league.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
His NHL rights appear to be own by the Canes. But lets not pretend players are not signed as free agents and enter in our CBA contracts. The only thing holding this back is his current KHL contract so if you come to agreement on buying out the contract, you can make this happen.
His rights have nothing to do with it. You can't go and grease the associates of free agents in order for them to sign. It's a form of compensation for the player.
Teams can't even give tickets to their players for free.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
what do you mean? They would be sending a million so Spartak would buy out Nikishin's contract. Canes cant sign Nikishin to a contract until his KHL contract is no longer.
Historically it was explicitly against the rules as a a way for KHL to protect their assets. Players could buy themselves out but NHL teams couldn't.

With the suspension of the transfer agreement last year though, that may have changed things... but definitely in the past NHL teams couldn't do it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
1--Nikishin is a Canes drafted prospect

2--the rumored offer was to Spartak and not his current team, which he was traded to in July 2022. If the offer happened, it would not only have been before that date, but probably around the time of their last game in January 2022 BEFORE the Russian Invasion

3--the offered payment was NOT to Nikishin but to Spartak to release the contract--so not player compensation

How is paying the fee for a player not player compensation?

Can teams start buying houses for players?

I've seen reports this is not true, but if it is I suspect that paying money that a player would normally have to pay is player compensation.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Reading about Lehterä - Sibir - St.Louis in 2014. Over $1 million went to Sibir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad