Rumor: Carolina Hurricanes offered 1 million USD to Spartak Moscow/KHL for D Nikishin

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to journalist Zislis (reliable source), Carolina Hurricanes offered 1 million USD to Spartak Moscow (KHL) to buy out D Alexander Nikishin. This happened when he played for Spartak but Zislis does not specify the time. Nikishin was traded to SKA in 2022.

Based on NHL Transfer Agreement with Sweden etc, the European club gets around 300k USD for player. The sum is not negotiable & can not be refused by European club.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
According to journalist Zislis (reliable source), Carolina Hurricanes offered 1 million USD to Spartak Moscow (KHL) to buy out D Alexander Nikishin. This happened when he played for Spartak but Zislis does not specify the time. Nikishin was traded to SKA in 2022.

Based on NHL Transfer Agreement with Sweden etc, the European club gets around 300k USD for player. The sum is not negotiable & can not be refused by European club.

I didnt think Russia was part of the basic agreement but had their own

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure NHL teams aren't allowed to buy out contracts of Russian players, no ?

There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL and to be honest, I don't blame the KHL for not wanting to be part of it. So if the player does not have a NHL contract and his rights are not owned by any team, not sure if the NHL can block this. Not 100% sure but this would be between the Canes and the KHL team to come to agreement and the KHL team has final say on the player they have under contract.

The $1M would come out of the Canes pocket and not factored in the cap. It's no different than the Leafs spending $10M on their AHL club where other teams spend less.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL and to be honest, I don't blame the KHL for not wanting to be part of it. So if the player does not have a NHL contract and his rights are not owned by any team, not sure if the NHL can block this. Not 100% sure but this would be between the Canes and the KHL team to come to agreement and the KHL team has final say on the player they have under contract.

The $1M would come out of the Canes pocket and not factored in the cap. It's no different than the Leafs spending $10M on their AHL club where other teams spend less.
Nikishin is a canes prospect, so his rights are owned by them

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With no formal agreement but the KHL contract process involving the player buying their own way out of remaining years, this is an interesting topic to dive into. If there is no wrong-doing here in terms of contractual stuff, this could get weird.

Seems weird to me that an NHL team would be allowed to send a million dollars to a KHL team so a player didn't have to spend their own money. Is this common practice? I'd think this should not be allowed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad