Rumor: Carolina Hurricanes offered 1 million USD to Spartak Moscow/KHL for D Nikishin

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If that happened, I wonder if they would have been in hot water with governments for evading sanctions.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Honestly, teams should be allowed to buy their drafted players out of Euro teams.

Would be mutually beneficial.
You can. Though KHL teams will often decline.

The player can choose the buyout his own contract but would have to reimburse roughly 75% (off the top of my head) of the amount of the contract.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not sure if already posted but unless there is a rule or agreement prohibiting it, ad hoc transfer fees are allowed.

in the late 1980s and early 1990s various nhl teams paid transfer fees to the soviet ice federation to get individual players they had released to come to north america. there was no nhl agreement in effect and so it was done with individual contracts with the soviets. the canucks paid $300k or so each for larionov and krutov. they later let igor larianov walk to free agency after his first nhl contract because they didn't want to pay a trailer fee in their contract to soviet ice hockey which kicked in if he extended. he then became a free agent to everyone in the league except the canucks.

something similar but even more chaotic occurred to get players out of other soviet bloc states like czeckoslavakia.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
not sure if already posted but unless there is a rule or agreement prohibiting it, ad hoc transfer fees are allowed.

in the late 1980s and early 1990s various nhl teams paid transfer fees to the soviet ice federation to get individual players they had released to come to north america. there was no nhl agreement in effect and so it was done with individual contracts with the soviets. the canucks paid $300k or so each for larionov and krutov. they later let igor larianov walk to free agency after his first nhl contract because they didn't want to pay a trailer fee in their contract to soviet ice hockey which kicked in if he extended. he then became a free agent to everyone in the league except the canucks.

something similar but even more chaotic occurred to get players out of other soviet bloc states like czeckoslavakia.
If I understand it, it was a direct payment to Russian clubs, not Russian hockey federation. Per Kuperman, Ottawa paid $700k to Dynamo Moscow for Alexei Yashin in 1992-93.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If I understand it, it was a direct payment to Russian clubs, not Russian hockey federation. Per Kuperman, Ottawa paid $700k to Dynamo Moscow for Alexei Yashin in 1992-93.
that was later, originally with the first russians it was payments to the soviet ice federation. i believe the club may have gotten some of that money in theory. i am also oversimplifying the story as larionov also opposed the payment because he knew where it would really go.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
that was later, originally with the first russians it was payments to the soviet ice federation. i believe the club may have gotten some of that money in theory. i am also oversimplifying the story as larionov also opposed the payment because he knew where it would really go.
OK, thanks.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think they can receive USD but whether they can do anything with that money is another question
I wonder how it would have been sent if not through the SWIFT system though. Seems like a shady method would have been used.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not all banks are under sanctions. There are a couple that can still use SWIFT. But it's a matter of time, of course, give it a couple of years, and they will be put under sanctions.
or the dollar system, as we know it, will collapse. Everything is going this way.

Reactions: Jay26

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Probably (albeit not definitely) before the war started, but if it was after, this would have been shut down pretty fast. Spartak is owned by PJSC Lukoil Oil Company, who have been subject to sanctions. They've had at least one high-profile action against them.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Pretty sure NHL teams aren't allowed to buy out contracts of Russian players, no ?
Why not? At the end of the day the ball is in the KHL team's court. They can say yes or they can say no.

Seems weird to me that an NHL team would be allowed to send a million dollars to a KHL team so a player didn't have to spend their own money. Is this common practice? I'd think this should not be allowed.
I would assume the player has a say.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Probably (albeit not definitely) before the war started, but if it was after, this would have been shut down pretty fast. Spartak is owned by PJSC Lukoil Oil Company, who have been subject to sanctions. They've had at least one high-profile action against them.
I would like to know what is your source regarding the ownership of HC Spartak Moscow.

...because what you say about Lukoil is false. You mix it with football (soccer) Spartak. They are two different legal entities with different ownership.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I would like to know what is your source regarding the ownership of HC Spartak Moscow.

...because what you say about Lukoil is false. You mix it with football (soccer) Spartak. They are two different legal entities with different ownership.
I stand corrected. Thank you!

Reactions: vorky

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not all banks are under sanctions. There are a couple that can still use SWIFT. But it's a matter of time, of course, give it a couple of years, and they will be put under sanctions.
Ah interesting, I wasn't aware. I knew there was some odd loophole with regards to gas companies early on, but thought that was a specific exception.

or the dollar system, as we know it, will collapse. Everything is going this way.
What dollar system? You mean the USD being the main currency of the world? That wouldn't be collapse. That would be a change of preference. Depending on where I go, I carry USD/EURO/GBP as a small cash reserve despite none of the above being my local currency (also a dollar). I do so because it's a lot more likely that someone will accept it if I'm in a bind and I'll get a better exchange than my relatively useless CAD.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Ah interesting, I wasn't aware. I knew there was some odd loophole with regards to gas companies early on, but thought that was a specific exception.
they still trade with Russia. For example, Belgium cries bloody tears but refuses to ban the import of diamonds. How will they buy them without swift?

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
they still trade with Russia. For example, Belgium cries bloody tears but refuses to ban imports of diamonds. How will they buy them without swift?
I wasn't aware. Of course many countries virtue signal one thing, then their actions speak otherwise. Of all things I follow, Belgium and diamond trades aren't particularly high on my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad