Speculation: Carolina Hurricanes - All Time Team?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Was Coffey really that bad here? Or relative to HoF Coffey? I didn't start following the Canes until the Brindy trade, but I always loved Coffey and (relative to other Canes defenseman) I would think he'd make the cut even under the "what they did here" criteria.

He wasn't bad while he was here at all, decent 2nd pairing option. But that said there's no way he'd be in over any of the other guys named since his tenure here was rather short and nondescript.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
That all time blueline is still pathetic, no matter who you put on the list! No way do some of the suggested guys make the list. But it does hammer home the fact that this organization has always made do with less!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
In fairness to Corvo, there have only been 8 seasons in which a Hurricanes defensemen reached 10+ goals. Corvo x2, Hill x2, Babchuk, Ozolinsh, Coffey, and now Sekera. He had 38 points, 40 points and 21 in 23 in the year he was acquired. His possession numbers have actually been pretty good, save for 2010-11. He was actually a decent defenseman at one point.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In fairness to Corvo, there have only been 8 seasons in which a Hurricanes defensemen reached 10+ goals. Corvo x2, Hill x2, Babchuk, Ozolinsh, Coffey, and now Sekera. He had 38 points, 40 points and 21 in 23 in the year he was acquired. His possession numbers have actually been pretty good, save for 2010-11. He was actually a decent defenseman at one point.

He's an instance where using possession numbers don't tell you the whole story. I've honestly never seen an NHL hockey player look like he's playing the game with his head tucked up his ass more often than Joe Corvo.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Whitney-Staal-Cole
Skinner-Francis-O'Neil
Stillman-Brind'Amour-Williams
Battaglia-Cullen-Kapanen

Wesley-Faulk
Hedican-Pitkanen
Gleason-Hill

Ward
Irbe

I am praying for your sanity that you don't think Eric Staal is a better Center than Ron Francis.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^^ I mean, I don't disagree. I have him basically as my #8 with Sekera likely to move past him really soon, and a case could be made for Wallin. But he wasn't some awful player who was always a liability and contributed nothing. That's being a bit unfair to him. They really haven't had a guy with a shot from the point like his since he left.

^ If we're going on what they accomplished as a Hurricane, Staal (.895 ppg) deserves it over Francis (.750).

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I am praying for your sanity that you don't think Eric Staal is a better Center than Ron Francis.

During his time with the Hurricanes he was. And Ron Francis is my favorite professional athlete of all-time. If we are talking all-time, it's a no brainer for Francis.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm going Hurricanes players only gauged by how successful they were while playing on the Hurricanes only. I also paid almost no attention to handedness.

Cole - E. Staal - Whitney
Williams - Francis - O'Neill
Stillman - Brind'Amour - Skinner
Roberts - J. Staal - Semin
Brad Fast

Wesley - Hedican
Pitkanen - Sekera (I imagine this pair would cycle the puck around our defensive zone for entire periods)
Hill - Gleason
Alexandre Picard

Cam Ward
Arturs Irbe
Patrick DesRochers

Scoring Machine Jeff Daniels barely missed the cut. Geez our defense has been so terrible.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
O'Neill- Francis- Kapanen
Stillman- EStaal- Cole
Whitney- Brind'amour- Williams
Roberts- JStaal- Skinner
Gelinas- Vasicek- Semin

Hedican- Ward
Wesley- Hill
Pitkanen- Faulk
Gleason- Wallin