Speculation: Carolina Hurricanes - All Time Team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ray Whitney - Eric Staal - Justin Williams
Jeff O'Neill - Ron Francis - Erik Cole
Jeff Skinner - Rod Brind'Amour - Cory Stillman
Tuomo Ruutu - Matt Cullen - Sami Kapanen

Sean Hill - Joni Pitkanen
Glen Weasly - Joe Corvo
Bret Hedican - Tim Gleason

Cam Ward
Arturs Irbe

How would your all-time team look like?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Glen Weasly - Joe Corvo

Cam Ward
Arturs Irbe

How would your all-time team look like?

Ron's brother Glen.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Skinner-Francis-O'Neill
Whitney-Staal-Semin
Kapanen-Brind'Amour-Williams
Ladd-Staal-Cole

Hedican-Wesley
Pitkanen-Coffey
Sekera-Faulk

Irbe
Ward

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Is this an all time team based on what they accomplished as a Hurricane? Or all time team based on each players overall NHL career?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If it's what they accomplished as a Hurricane (not a Whaler or anywhere else), here's my 23 man roster:

O'Neill // Staal // Cole
Kapanen // Brind'Amour // Williams
Whitney // Francis // Ruutu
Skinner // Cullen // Stillman
Jokinen

Wesley // Hedican
Hill // Pitkanen
Ward // Gleason
Faulk, Corvo

Ward
Irbe
Khudobin

Pretty easy, really. I don't see how you can include a name not mentioned above. Honorable mentions to Gary Roberts, Martin Gelinas, Josef Vasicek, Frantisek Kaberle, Martin Gerber.

Tried to force line combinations that made sense, but ended up with wingers out of position. Oh well.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Is this an all time team based on what they accomplished as a Hurricane? Or all time team based on each players overall NHL career?

I was doing a balance. I included Coffey because he's too egregious to not include if you're at all weighing career, but I didn't put him on the top pairing because he didn't do much as a Cane.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If it's what they accomplished as a Hurricane (not a Whaler or anywhere else), here's my 23 man roster:

O'Neill // Staal // Cole
Kapanen // Brind'Amour // Williams
Whitney // Francis // Ruutu
Skinner // Cullen // Stillman
Jokinen

Wesley // Hedican
Hill // Pitkanen
Ward // Gleason
Faulk, Corvo

Ward
Irbe
Khudobin

Pretty easy, really. I don't see how you can include a name not mentioned above. Honorable mentions to Gary Roberts, Martin Gelinas, Josef Vasicek, Frantisek Kaberle, Martin Gerber.

Tried to force line combinations that made sense, but ended up with wingers out of position. Oh well.

That's a decent list and you can make some arguments for the HM's. I'd probably take Corvo out and put Wallin in though.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ EDIT: Yeah, my reasoning is that I wanted to include a bit more offense from the back end for the 23rd, and I totally forgot about Wallin who was a pretty good 5/6/7 guy during his time here.

I suppose I should give an honorable mention to Wallin and Weekes as well.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I don't see how Sekera doesn't make the list.

Only Wesley and Hedican have given us better seasons than what he gave us last year, and even that's debatable.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't see how Sekera doesn't make the list.

Only Wesley and Hedican have given us better seasons than what he gave us last year, and even that's debatable.

I guess it all depends on criteria used. If a criteria is prolonged performance, then he doesn't make it. If the criteria is picking based on a single season, then I agree with you, he's at the top of the list for defensemen (or close to it).

Typically when "all time" teams are picked, that means guys that have played more than 1 year for a team. But that's just my view, doesn't mean it can't be looked at the other way.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
For me, it comes down to the fact that he's only been here one year, however good, and that there's a lot of competition on defense. I really don't like including Gleason in the top 6, and Faulk *should* overtake him next year, but I can't make the same case for Sekera. All of the younger guys (Skinner) still have a lot of time to shoot up the rankings, but I weighed a bit heavier towards guys who have larger bodies of work. I don't have a problem if you want to include Sekera, though. He had a great year offensively, even if he was somewhat inconsistent by the end. But who wasn't.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Accomplished as a Hurricane and only that? Gonna go 26 guys instead of the traditional 23

Sami Kapanen - Ron Francis (C) - Jeff O'Neill
Jeff Skinner - Eric Staal - Erik Cole
Ray Whitney - Rod Brind'Amour (A) - Justin Williams
Gary Roberts (A) - Keith Primeau (ugh) - Tuomo Ruutu
Alex Semin, Cory Stillman, Bates Battaglia

Bret Hedican - Sean Hill
Joni Pitkanen - Glen Wesley
Justin Faulk - Steve Chiasson (RIP)
Aaron Ward, Curtis Leschyshyn

Cam Ward
Arturs Irbe
Anton Khudobin

Semin is undeniably a better player then Ruutu and possibly even Cole. But he hasn't had quite the Canes career that Cole has... yet... and I want a 4th line to bring the pain as much as possible. A 4th line of Roberts-Primeau-Ruutu would do just that... even if I still ****ing hate Primeau. Toyed with Cullen over Bates, and probably should have gone that route. But just something about Battaglia's physicality that Cullen can't come close to replicating... and let's not forget that Bates was a damn solid two-way player too, though mind you he played primarily with Brind'Amour which would make anyone look pretty solid in Brindy's prime.

Another big year out of Sekera would have him pushing for a spot in our top 6 IMO, and a big year out of Faulk would push him above Joni onto our second pairing.

As good as Khudobin was this year, it'll take a solid 3-4 year stretch like that for him to even threaten to knock Irbe and Ward from the top 2 spots IMO.

If we're going to do greatest in franchise history regardless of accomplishments or location:

Bobby Hull - Ron Francis - Gordie Howe
Brendan Shanahan (ugh) - Dave Keon - Pat Verbeek
Eric Staal - Rod Brind'Amour - Kevin Dineen
Gary Roberts - Doug Weight - Jeff O'Neill
Sami Kapanen, Mike Rogers

Paul Coffey - Mark Howe
Chris Pronger - Glen Wesley
Rick Ley - Ulf Samuelsson
Kevin Hatcher

Cam Ward
Mike Liut

hard to say who between Sean Burke and Arturs Irbe I'd want as #3... likely Irbe.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC

Glen Weasly - Joe Corvo

Cam Ward
Arturs Irbe

Interesting...you have Corvo, but not Paul Coffey? And please tell me that your line combos are in not particular order. I am praying for your sanity that you don't think Eric Staal is a better Center than Ron Francis.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Dave, your 4th line on the all-franchise team is incorrect. It should be the Carlson's and you know it. I got a good deal on those boys, scouts said they showed a lot of promise.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Was Coffey really that bad here? Or relative to HoF Coffey? I didn't start following the Canes until the Brindy trade, but I always loved Coffey and (relative to other Canes defenseman) I would think he'd make the cut even under the "what they did here" criteria.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Whitney-Staal-Cole
Skinner-Francis-O'Neil
Stillman-Brind'Amour-Williams
Battaglia-Cullen-Kapanen

Wesley-Faulk
Hedican-Pitkanen
Gleason-Hill

Ward
Irbe

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If we're going to do greatest in franchise history regardless of accomplishments or location:

Bobby Hull - Ron Francis - Gordie Howe
Brendan Shanahan (ugh) - Dave Keon - Pat Verbeek
Eric Staal - Rod Brind'Amour - Kevin Dineen
Gary Roberts - Doug Weight - Jeff O'Neill
Sami Kapanen, Mike Rogers

Paul Coffey - Mark Howe
Chris Pronger - Glen Wesley
Rick Ley - Ulf Samuelsson
Kevin Hatcher

Cam Ward
Mike Liut

hard to say who between Sean Burke and Arturs Irbe I'd want as #3... likely Irbe.

In a more serious response to this I would suggest, as much as it hurts, Kaberle had a better career than Kevin Hatcher, IMO and I'd replace Verbeek (or someone else)with Mark Recchi. Tough to have Jeff O'Neil and leave out Blaine Stoughton, but a case can be made. Brad McCrimmon was a hell of a player as well and could probably had a case made for over Rick Ley. In net it gets a little clouded because the Canes did have Barasso and Kirk MaClean briefly at the end of their careers. Judging goalies of that caliber between eras gets really sketchy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad