Dreger: Carolina has pulled back from trading Ferland

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's fine, but it wasn't my point. Both of those players were disappointing in Carolina. I think Hanifin is still the same player. Lindholm, on the other hand, showed no sign that he was even a 50 point player....ZERO. He didn't drive a line and didn't show any glimpse of breaking out.
The idea that he is now THAT much of a better player can be attributed to two things..his new line mates and/or he has started actually giving a crap. That doesn't change his time with Carolina.

Yeah nobody can tell for sure what would happen if the trade didnt happen. We can only look at the results with their new team and there is no question Lindholm took a giant leap compared to the other players. Overall I think Ferland and Hanifin are slightly better than expected. Hamilton imo, went backward. And of course Fox is unknown.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think if Ferland would accept 5x 4.5 it would have been done months ago. And I say this as someone who isn't sold on management, but I think they pay that quite easily. The talk from Canes beat writers is he's looking more like $6m per for 6-7 years. That's where it becomes unpalatable.

I think whoever ending signing Ferland is going to be overpaying.

Ferland may look like a world beater in a short series. That's why somebody may pay a high price to obtain him but long term they will regret paying him that much. Dude only plays up to his full potential about 30% of the time. Maybe 40% now in Carolina...I have not followed him since the trade lol

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah nobody can tell for sure what would happen if the trade didnt happen. We can only look at the results with their new team and there is no question Lindholm took a giant leap compared to the other players. Overall I think Ferland and Hanifin are slightly better than expected. Hamilton imo, went backward. And of course Fox is unknown.

Hamilton struggled the first 2 months and was playing with injury . He's been fantastic since Jan 1st.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
here is a possibility, The Canes are getting feelers on Jordon Staal, and if he comes back before the trade deadline and proves he is fit, Jordon may be the one to go and his money used to sign Ferland.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I think whoever ending signing Ferland is going to be overpaying.

Ferland may look like a world beater in a short series. That's why somebody may pay a high price to obtain him but long term they will regret paying him that much. Dude only plays up to his full potential about 30% of the time. Maybe 40% now in Carolina...I have not followed him since the trade lol
Ferland is being pushed by the likes of Martinook, Aho, Tivo and now Nino. they are young and working hard and Ferland doesn't want to be left behind. And Rod isn't one to not work for.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So a year after the big trade of Lindholm and Hanifin all they will have to show for it will be Hamilton
Carolina should stop being such a tightwad organization and pay Ferland what he's worth.

And what would that exactly be? I think the Canes would go 4 X $5.5 or 5 X 5.25. It's that 6th or 7th year that they rightly shouldn't buy.

Losing him for nothing because you were too greedy or misread the market is just a sign of a bad GM, which Car doesn't need another one of.

The list of good moves by this front office has made has been listed on this thread already. At the time of the trade with Calgary, it was almost universally reviewed as fair for both sides. Fox is the true wild card. I'd put my money on him signing once Harvard's season is completed.

here is a possibility, The Canes are getting feelers on Jordon Staal, and if he comes back before the trade deadline and proves he is fit, Jordon may be the one to go and his money used to sign Ferland.

Nope, Staal is much more valuable to this team than Ferland. I'm not saying he couldn't be traded, but not to re-sign Ferland. There are and will be better free agents on the market should Jordan's salary money come available.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hamilton went backwards? He’s been one of our best players throughout the run we’re on. We wouldn’t be here without him. Trading him would absolutely downgrade our d.

Ferland has injuries and hasn’t really played with Aho since he came back. He’s everything he was supposed to be at least, if not a little more.

Hanifin isn’t much better than he was last season, he’ll be a solid second pairing guy but he’s never looked like the first pairing guy he was hyped to be. Still good but no regrets there.

I fully believed Lindy would have a huge spike in pts if he played first line. He’s too skilled and smart. He won’t lead but he can continue the plays they start and finish them as well.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hamilton went backwards? He’s been one of our best players throughout the run we’re on. We wouldn’t be here without him. Trading him would absolutely downgrade our d.

l.

Good to hear because 21 points at this point of the season is terrible for an offensive dman. And nobody should be confused with Dougie's defense. It's not going get him any praise.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hanifin isn’t much better than he was last season, he’ll be a solid second pairing guy but he’s never looked like the first pairing guy he was hyped to be. Still good but no regrets there.
I think I'd give Hanifin a little more rope to prove who he is. New team, new linemate, just turned 22 twelve days ago. I mean how many first pairing 22 year old d-men do you know who weren't drafted in the top 3?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That's fine, but it wasn't my point. Both of those players were disappointing in Carolina. I think Hanifin is still the same player. Lindholm, on the other hand, showed no sign that he was even a 50 point player....ZERO. He didn't drive a line and didn't show any glimpse of breaking out.a.

A guy with a 45 pt 21 yo season and a 44pt 22 yo season didn't show any sign he was even a 50 point player...?

Alrighty then.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

And what would that exactly be? I think the Canes would go 4 X $5.5 or 5 X 5.25. It's that 6th or 7th year that they rightly shouldn't buy.

The list of good moves by this front office has made has been listed on this thread already. At the time of the trade with Calgary, it was almost universally reviewed as fair for both sides. Fox is the true wild card. I'd put my money on him signing once Harvard's season is completed.

Nope, Staal is much more valuable to this team than Ferland. I'm not saying he couldn't be traded, but not to re-sign Ferland. There are and will be better free agents on the market should Jordan's salary money come available.

Beyond that, Jordan hasn't played a game since December 22nd and has been out with a concussion since then and isn't traveling with the team on the current road trip. I doubt a player who's been out for a month and a half and whose timeline to return is a question mark is drawing much, if any, trade attention.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think I'd give Hanifin a little more rope to prove who he is. New team, new linemate, just turned 22 twelve days ago. I mean how many first pairing 22 year old d-men do you know who weren't drafted in the top 3?
He was supposed to go in the top three all year? People were calling the draft the Mceichelfin. Regardless of position he was expected to be a pretty dominant player. His defensive awareness is too far behind for that, and while he's an amazing skater he isn't a lethal shooter or playmaker. He's a good player, but I don't think his ceiling is as high as hoped. It's still a good player to have, but the Canes sold high on him a bit. I think he'll always leave you wanting a bit more.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Good to hear because 21 points at this point of the season is terrible for an offensive dman. And nobody should be confused with Dougie's defense. It's not going get him any praise.
Not that I expect you to, but you obviously haven't been watching the Canes this year. Using stats and judging a season? Lame. He was used poorly by a first year head coach from the get go, and still is. He scored 17 goals last year. From the first day of training camp Faulk has been on pp1 by himself. Faulk has 5 pp pts this season....and is still by himself on PP1. Make that make sense to me. They don't have enough talent for two units and Dougie plays with Slavin on PP2, and he's had no chemistry with Slavin.

He often is paired 5v5 with Slavin despite having no chemistry. Rod won't break up Faulk and Dehaan.

Dougie makes runs to the net all game all year, it took half of the season for anyone to look up and see him. Our pp's are awful, even strength we've been weak offensively all year. He figured out how to take it into his own hands around xmas and has been very productive since. New team, new inexperienced coach, teammates that cant make successful passes to wide open teammates. He's been a big addition from day one, but even now when he's leading the way no one cares because they want to push some narrative about Doug.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Bottom line was Lindholm, Hanafin and Skinner are all soft players. Carolina needed to be harder to play against, they brought in Ferland who changed the Dynamics of the team.
Soft players do well in the regular season, not so much in big games and the playoffs when the style of play gets much tougher....

Reactions: The S5

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bottom line was Lindholm, Hanafin and Skinner are all soft players. Carolina needed to be harder to play against, they brought in Ferland who changed the Dynamics of the team.
Soft players do well in the regular season, not so much in big games and the playoffs when the style of play gets much tougher....

Has Ferland helped the canes to make the playoffs yet? Cause the soft players in Calgary are in pretty good shape now

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Has Ferland helped the canes to make the playoffs yet? Cause the soft players in Calgary are in pretty good shape now

It would have been just a bit impossible for Ferland to have "helped the Canes make the Playoffs" seeing as there hasn't even been a Playoffs since Ferland has joined the Canes.

Canes would be in the top wildcard spot right now in a weaker Western Conference. Ferland is actively helping the Canes have their best season in a decade. He and Hamilton are two of primary reasons the Canes have some Playoff hopes right now. Both are playing considerably better this year than Lindholm and Hanifin played for the Canes last year.

I'm glad Lindholm stepped up his game in Calgary. Canes fans are familiar with the concept of how another team's middle-6 forward can be placed on a top line and immediately look better. Another former 5th Overall Nino Niederreiter was dealt to the Canes for a cap dump, immediately placed next to Aho, and now he has 5 goals in 7 games.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
A guy with a 45 pt 21 yo season and a 44pt 22 yo season didn't show any sign he was even a 50 point player...?

Alrighty then.
He was a passenger with the Canes. A pigeon. For a kid who was drafted 5th overall, he was a disappointment. What's so hard to understand?
The idea that the Canes somehow decimated their team is just ridiculous. They haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Guys like Skinner and Lindholm weren't helping to get them there. They moved on and are now playing well without them. No hard feelings.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
If you know anyone interested in a guy who puts up his points at his salary and term, please let Waddell know. I can't imagine there's much interest in J Staal around the league

Reactions: garnetpalmetto

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Market must not be that great for high end rentals.

A 2nd for Boyle seems steep but a 2nd is nothing compared to what teams may be expecting to return for Ferland, Stone, Panarin, etc.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It would have been just a bit impossible for Ferland to have "helped the Canes make the Playoffs" seeing as there hasn't even been a Playoffs since Ferland has joined the Canes.

Canes would be in the top wildcard spot right now in a weaker Western Conference. Ferland is actively helping the Canes have their best season in a decade. He and Hamilton are two of primary reasons the Canes have some Playoff hopes right now. Both are playing considerably better this year than Lindholm and Hanifin played for the Canes last year.

I'm glad Lindholm stepped up his game in Calgary. Canes fans are familiar with the concept of how another team's middle-6 forward can be placed on a top line and immediately look better. Another former 5th Overall Nino Niederreiter was dealt to the Canes for a cap dump, immediately placed next to Aho, and now he has 5 goals in 7 games.

OK..7 games is a little short to make a claim, dont you think?

Glad that Ferland and Hamilton are helping you guys....I am just replying to the guy that claim Ferland is some kind of playoff warrior while he had ONE good playoff series 5 yrs ago and hasnt repeated since. While at the same time trashing the players going to Calgary. So far it's clear who is helping more. The Flames are at the top of their conference while the Canes are hoping to make the playoff...yeah nice touch with the weaker Western conference as if the Canes are anywhere close to the top of any conference ....

BTW, if you are talking about soft, look in the mirror, Hamilton is probably the softest big man in the game today and I kinda like him lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad