Speculation: Carolina goaltending

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I don't think it's so much the goaltenders with Carolina, I think it's their goaltending coach who's asked their last 2 goalie acquisitions to play differently then they did when they were successful

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't think it's so much the goaltenders with Carolina, I think it's their goaltending coach who's asked their last 2 goalie acquisitions to play differently then they did when they were successful

That may be true, but they fired their goaltending coach a season ago and brought in a different one this past season. So if what you say is true, it's two different goaltending coaches that have had the same problem that you suggest, which is a bit difficult to believe.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I was happy for Ward. It didn't took long for him (December) to prove most people wrong. Obviously people in charge had no clue.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I have nostalgia, basically. 2006 Stanley Cup win was the best moment for the Hurricanes, and I want to relive that moment again.

If you want to relive it maybe just buy a copy of the championship DVD?

They’re never getting back to that level with Ward as the starter. He was good in a backup role but the worse Darling got, the more Ward had to play and the more the cracks showed.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He wasn’t terrible but walk away from Ward already . Darling was trrrible but they have the cap space to give him another shot and sign another

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
He wasn’t terrible but walk away from Ward already . Darling was trrrible but they have the cap space to give him another shot and sign another

Problem is, they probably want the opposite...to jettison Darling and bring back Ward as a backup.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Halak is better than Ward and Darling.

Halak/Ward with a 46-36 game split would be ideal for both goalies.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Do you really believe for a second that this team will pay Darling his salary for three more years to hang out in Charlotte? Not to mention he’d be taking games from prospect goalies who may actually have a future with the Hurricanes.

There's only Nedeljkovic, isn't there?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I honestly have no idea what the Canes are going to do about their goaltending. From what I've read on here (and correct me of I'm wrong), the new owner doesn't want to pour money into the franchise and won't consider things like salary retention trades, buyouts or acquiring cap dumps. This also leads me to believe he's not going to pony up for another goaltender. I have this awful feeling that the Canes will be stuck with Darling as their #1 again next season.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I honestly have no idea what the Canes are going to do about their goaltending. From what I've read on here (and correct me of I'm wrong), the new owner doesn't want to pour money into the franchise and won't consider things like salary retention trades, buyouts or acquiring cap dumps. This also leads me to believe he's not going to pony up for another goaltender. I have this awful feeling that the Canes will be stuck with Darling as their #1 again next season.

We’ve never been a team that could buy our way out of our mistakes and it isn’t going to change now.

I have no clue what they will do either. I can’t see them burying Darling in the minors but I can’t see them accepting his level of play if it continues like this past season. How do you trade him, though, without taking bad an equally bad contract or paying dearly with picks/prospects. No easy answer.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We’ve never been a team that could buy our way out of our mistakes and it isn’t going to change now.

I have no clue what they will do either. I can’t see them burying Darling in the minors but I can’t see them accepting his level of play if it continues like this past season. How do you trade him, though, without taking bad an equally bad contract or paying dearly with picks/prospects. No easy answer.
I think if the new owner would allow a salary retained trade, a team might take a chance on Darling as their backup and potential future starter at 2+ million. Then the Canes could bring back Ward on another 1 year deal and maybe sign a guy like Mrazek for a couple years. The overall cost of goaltending would increase a bit but I feel like it is the only realistic solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad