Speculation: Carolina goaltending

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Carolina has had some of the worst goaltending in the league for a while. Efforts to fix it by bringing in backups have been worse than futile. The latest experiment, Scott darling, had a historically bad season after signing a big contract. In end of season pressers, the organization said the Ward-Darling tandem can't return as is. Given the dire need to make the playoffs, one can guess they'll push hard for a surefire starter rather than another experiment. What options are there in this trade market?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Fredershit Anderseive and will the thrill nylander for peshe 2018 2nd and darling.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Give Howard a chance he is an upgrade for you. Howard is just playing on a bad team with a bad defense.

You guys have enough prospects you could afford a pick and maybe Det will retain some of his salary.

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
Trade you a 3rd for Lehner. Try him on for a year if you think your goalies are so bad :laugh:

Lehner wasn’t awful over the past couple years, especially behind our defense.

Having said that, we could do better, but in Carolina, he is upgrade over a guy like Darling, but, they may also be able to do better

his RFA rights carry little value

The asking price would be conditional third, fourth round picks

That would be low risk for Carolina

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don’t see an obvious fit. Washington is the team to watch, but a bunch of teams are watching. Holtby regained his net in the playoffs, though. So, I’m not sure Carolina would want to make a commitment, this time with trade assets, to another unknown in net after the Darling disaster. Washington might not even want to deal Grubauer in the division.

My guess:

Ward/Darling – I’m struggling to justify not buying out Darling, but who knows.

UFA Vet (Lehtonen) – A high QO guy may be interesting here (Mrazek, potentially Lehner). I'm putting down Lehtonen given the prior connection to Waddell.

Nedeljkovic ends up playing a bunch due to ineffectiveness/injury. Hopefully something opens up next year.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
With the Avs signing Francouz, odds are Bernier will not be re-signed. He's not an ideal #1 goalie, but he would be the better half of a 1A/1B tandem than Ward or Darling.

He wants to be a starter...seems like a solid third for our competition for the job since we're apparently not pursuing anybody expected to come in and be the starter outright. (The approach is clearly "throw enough darts (Ward, Darling, Nedeljkovic,...) at the dartboard and see what hits.")

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
comparable bad contract + prospect each swap sides

G Darling + RD McKeown
for
D Smith + G Georgiev

balanced, serves mutual needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad