GDT: CARNAS: Lack of secondary scoring is killing us

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Moms cheer sons on to 4-1 victory in Nashville

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
NASHVILLE
- With their moms cheering them on, the Carolina Hurricanes put forth one of their most complete performances of the season in a 4-1 win over the Nashville Predators.
Sebastian Aho and Andrei Svechnikov both extended their point streaks, and Mrazek made 28 saves.
Mothers Know Best
"You don't want to disappoint mom," Justin Williams smiled after the game. "Dad gets angry. Mom just gets disappointed, right? We definitely didn't want to do that."
With a suite full of moms cheering and chanting and offering their assessments of various plays through the game - at one point, Warren Foegele was shoved down behind the net, and the response from the moms was "That's not nice!" - the 'Canes responded with one of their most complete wins of the season.
From the drop of the puck, the Canes had an edge on the Predators. They grabbed an early lead, reclaimed it in the second after briefly losing it and fortified the score the rest of the way.
"I thought from the outset our mentality was good," Williams said. "Sometimes you have a good sense of the dressing room and where it is. It's time to get this going in the right direction."
"There was lots of energy tonight. The guys wanted to put on a good show," Jordan Staal said. "Everyone was involved tonight. Everyone played a great game."
That's the blueprint of what makes the Canes successful.
"That was a great effort, right from the start. I thought we were engaged, everybody. We got a great effort from all 20 guys," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "Everybody was digging in, making some good plays and battling when they had to battle. That's a pretty good effort."
"We're not here just to play. We're here to compete," Williams said. "The table's set. The stage is set for the last 20 games to have a race. We've just got to win our games. I don't care that we're in the best division in hockey with the most points. Just win our games, and we'll be fine."
Recap: Canes Storm Past Predators

Reactions: Tryamw

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
December was the only month they were under .500.

Aren’t you missing the point?

6-3-4 is more losses than wins in November, even if it's averaging just over 1 point per game thanks to OT points.

If your point is they are finally playing good again, I'm not missing or disagreeing with it at all. If your point is even in the slump last year they weren't that bad, I disagree.

Both you and @TheRillestPaulFenton are correct here: the Canes have not looked as good this year as they did the second half of last year and have not played the same style as last year consistently.

However, the Canes have looked more consistent this year than they did last year, when they had a quick start, an awful 40% of the season, and a red hot second half to get into playoff position.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
6-3-4 is more losses than wins in November, even if it's averaging just over 1 point per game thanks to OT points.

If your point is they are finally playing good again, I'm not missing or disagreeing with it at all. If your point is even in the slump last year they weren't that bad, I disagree.

Both you and @TheRillestPaulFenton are correct here: the Canes have not looked as good this year as they did the second half of last year and have not played the same style as last year consistently.

However, the Canes have looked more consistent this year than they did last year, when they had a quick start, an awful 40% of the season, and a red hot second half to get into playoff position.
My point pretty clearly was we played like last year for the first time imo last night. Then he said “playoff last year” which is nonsensical because this team went on the best run of play I’ve ever seen them have starting at the turn of the year, which is why they were in the playoffs. They didn’t turn it up a notch imo when they got there, they just continued on doing the thing that got them there in the first place. I could care less what anyone thought of the time before that or whether or not anyone agrees with me or talks of loser points.

Last night we played like the team that outplayed not just the majority of the NHL last season during its extended run, but outplayed every Canes team in its existence other than arguably the cup team. It certainly didn’t start in the playoffs.

If we can keep doing it we’re a playoff team. We’ve been pretty bipolar this season imo. Not consistent at all. If we’re gonna do it this year now’s the time to get consistent.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
My point pretty clearly was we played like last year for the first time imo last night. Then he said “playoff last year” which is nonsensical because this team went on the best run of play I’ve ever seen them have starting at the turn of the year, which is why they were in the playoffs. They didn’t turn it up a notch imo when they got there, they just continued on doing the thing that got them there in the first place. I could care less what anyone thought of the time before that or whether or not anyone agrees with me or talks of loser points.

Last night we played like the team that outplayed not just the majority of the NHL last season during its extended run, but outplayed every Canes team in its existence other than arguably the cup team. It certainly didn’t start in the playoffs.

If we can keep doing it we’re a playoff team. We’ve been pretty bipolar this season imo. Not consistent at all. If we’re gonna do it this year now’s the time to get consistent.

CONSISTENT IN INCONSISTENCY.

Three words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad