WJC: Carlson's goal - Best of the year?

Dado

Summary of the thread.

Canadian Poster: It was no big deal.

American Poster: It was the best goal ever.

Swedish Poster: The refs were brutal in the semifinals.

Second Swedish Poster: It's Canada's fault.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
watch an NHL game... honestly, very timely goal, but best of the year? maybe of 2010 so far, even then sweeden may have you beat from just today

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
to me it was a great goal. Not goal of the year. But to have enough skill to not ONCE look tp the net is very impressive. If I am a goalie I am playing shooter, and if he looks to the pass with a shoulder or head move I am still playing shooter. BUT, if the man with thepuck not ONCE looks at me the entire time inside the blueline, and he is a defensemen I am going to start cheating for the pass. Its exactly what makes this a great goal.

Yeah people look pass and shoot all the time. But on a fast speed rush from the blueline in, to not Once look at the goal? Ive actually never seen that. And Ive watched thousands of nhl games.

tim_*

Coming from a huge Carlson/Caps homer, this was a 'great' goal, but not 'goal of the year' or anything remotely close to it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
to be fair, the year is only 6 days old, so you've got a small sample size going for you...

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
2 goal game for Carlson along with the GWG in OT.

Back to back GWGs. :handclap:

Caps fans are sure excited. Trading Eminger and a 3rd round pick to Philly in order to draft him 27th overall. Absolute steal :)

He is having a great first season in the AHL as well.

Can't wait until he's up with the Caps full time.

eldiablo17

Aug 22, 2007
Huge goal in terms of importance but thats a shot the goalie has to have. You cannot let a player score short side coming down the wing with an inside shot, that should be an automatic save, and it wasn't even roofed. Good shot and play by Carlson but the misplay by the goalie stood out more to me.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
CLUTCH goal? Absolutley!!!!

Great goal???---Meh....it was nothing special. The goalie gave him to much room on the shortside. I am nothing special as a hockey player and I've sold pass and scored on the 2 on 1.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
It was a pretty nice goal since he made it look like he was going to pass, but it probably won't be a top 100 goal by the end of the year. Let's not confuse clutch and best.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
What I find funny is that this goal was scored directly after Campbell made a big save on a Canadian odd-man rush. Rebound comes to Ramage who head mans it to the late back-checking forward... no wait... that's... Carlson? WTF was Carlson doing while the Canadians were making their offensive play? I understand that 4 on 4 is more free flowing, but man was he behind the play/out of position.

This is nitpicky, I know, and I am pumped that he scored that goal, but if Campbell doesn't make the save on the preceding odd man rush we'd all be talking about the fact that Carlson was nowehere to be found in the defensive zone.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I believe it was a crap goal. Probably one of the worst i've ever seen.
Oh, and Allen woulda stopped it.:sarcasm:

endora2

Jan 3, 2010
I don't know how many of you have watched the replay, but my wife and I watched it over and over and over again because we were so impressed. If you just glance at it, it was just a high wrister short side. But if you look, you'll see that from the time Carlson crossed the blueline until the puck went into the net, Carlson never once looked at the net, and even had his head turned perpendicular to the goal line the entire time. To have that kind of accuracy on a shot with that much velocity having never even looked at the net, and moving the whole time...wow.

I kept waiting for the play by play guys to point it out, but they never did.
Yes I noticed what a great play that was by Carlson. Did you watch the game on the Canadian TSN feed? Because those 2 announcers are very biased towards Canada. If Ellis...or Pieterangelo...scored the winner(like Carlson did)...they would have been gushing about what a phenomenally great play that was...and replayed that 10 times to explain it to you...and tell you what an extremely special player "he" is. Anyways. The Americans....as a whole....are not only fast.....by very talented. How many 2 on 1's did the Americans have in this tournament....where they came flying in...and looked to the passer ...only to rip it with deadly accuracy shortside. Remember.....these guys are breaking in...and scoring these skill shot goals......at top speed. Not easy to do. I'm Canadian.....but I really like watching these Americans play...and I.....for one....am definitely aware of their talent.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Froze the goalie perfectly by looking pass all the way.

But goal of the year? Nah, I don't ... wait, we're only 6 days into 2010? Sure, goal of the year!

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
What I find funny is that this goal was scored directly after Campbell made a big save on a Canadian odd-man rush. Rebound comes to Ramage who head mans it to the late back-checking forward... no wait... that's... Carlson? WTF was Carlson doing while the Canadians were making their offensive play? I understand that 4 on 4 is more free flowing, but man was he behind the play/out of position.

This is nitpicky, I know, and I am pumped that he scored that goal, but if Campbell doesn't make the save on the preceding odd man rush we'd all be talking about the fact that Carlson was nowehere to be found in the defensive zone.

Carlson was deep covering his man, he stepped up to Pietrangelo, Stephan was the late man coming off the bench for a gassed Schroeder.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad