WJC: Carlson's goal - Best of the year?

KL*

I don't know how many of you have watched the replay, but my wife and I watched it over and over and over again because we were so impressed. If you just glance at it, it was just a high wrister short side. But if you look, you'll see that from the time Carlson crossed the blueline until the puck went into the net, Carlson never once looked at the net, and even had his head turned perpendicular to the goal line the entire time. To have that kind of accuracy on a shot with that much velocity having never even looked at the net, and moving the whole time...wow.

I kept waiting for the play by play guys to point it out, but they never did.

BlackAces*

I mentioned that in another thread...nice goal...definitely not "goal of the year".

It was a 3 on 1. Odds are pretty good you are going to score.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not the best goal of the year by any stretch, but definitely one of the biggest.

It was a great play though. He was looking at Stepan the whole time to make the goalie start to cheat over, and he let go a perfect shot short side.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I noticed that as well. No wonder he can't remember anything about it, he wasn't looking!

That's the stuff of legend right there (from a player's bragging perspective), if only because it was the goal to win it.

Amputechture

Jun 24, 2007
Toronto
Goal of the year? No. However it was an incredible goal. He really forced Jones to think pass the entire time and when Jones bought it, he sniped it passed him. Tons of skill in Carlson!

mottjm7

Jan 30, 2009
Grandville, Michigan
the commentators on the NHL network were talking about how players shoot like that all the time. Some players use ice markings to release a pre-planned shot.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Summary of the thread.

Canadian Poster: It was no big deal.

American Poster: It was the best goal ever.

Swedish Poster: The refs were brutal in the semifinals.

BlackAces*

The way he kept looking at Stepan was awesome. He had everyone fooled. Even when he shot it, he was looking away.

I told people I was watching with as soon as he crossed the blue line he was going to shoot...our defenceman played it perfectly.

But of course I am watching an elevated view from my couch.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The way he kept looking at Stepan was awesome. He had everyone fooled. Even when he shot it, he was looking away.

Had he not scored, we would have all chided him back to Hershey for not passing.

Carlson wasn't as impressive/dominant as I expected in the beginning, but apparently Blais pulled him aside and told him he was trying too hard and to just play. He was amazing the past 4 games.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Summary of the thread.

Canadian Poster: It was no big deal.

American Poster: It was the best goal ever.

Swedish Poster: The refs were brutal in the semifinals.

:laugh::laugh: oh **** hilarious

Let me add:

Leafs Fan Poster: Cowen was just terrible

Sens Fan Poster: Kadri fanned on the handshake

Canucks Fan Poster: How did Hodgson play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad