Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Chara

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m not sure if you misread, misunderstood or misinterpreted what I wrote. Strange response and it seems like you missed the whole point of what I was saying.

No...I think I got it. You said in a big game situation, it was Z. My response was that Carlo has never really played in that many big games (in the NHL), so how would anyone have any idea of how he would handle it.

Maybe you misunderstood that?

Personally, with the way the two have played THIS season, if I had to choose one, I would take Carlo in that spot.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Z is still the better player. He still may be the league's best defender on the PK and can add more offense then Carlo.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Carlo but that's how it should be by now. He's just about ready to fully take over Chara's role/time on ice when he retires. It was part of Chara's job to get him ready for that. I would be concerned if he wasn't better than Chara now with only a year left of mentorship.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
carlo wouldnt hold charas jockstrap if chara was still 29

at his age... I think carlo compares favorably to a young chara... lets remember chara wasnt an overnight sensation

today... for 1 game... I think they are rather equal.

can carlo improve? I feel yes
can chara improve? weve seen his best day

its kind of a weird question to even worry about... we are lucky to have both. both guys would play on any team in the nhl. both would play in the top 4 of any team in nhl

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
carlo wouldnt hold charas jockstrap if chara was still 29

at his age... I think carlo compares favorably to a young chara... lets remember chara wasnt an overnight sensation

today... for 1 game... I think they are rather equal.

can carlo improve? I feel yes
can chara improve? weve seen his best day

its kind of a weird question to even worry about... we are lucky to have both. both guys would play on any team in the nhl. both would play in the top 4 of any team in nhl

Carlo is light years better than Chara IMO in his first couple seasons.

That being said, Carlo won't sniff the ceiling Chara set IMO.

Carlo will hopefully evolve into a better skating Johnny Boychuk.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
No...I think I got it. You said in a big game situation, it was Z. My response was that Carlo has never really played in that many big games (in the NHL), so how would anyone have any idea of how he would handle it.

Maybe you misunderstood that?

Personally, with the way the two have played THIS season, if I had to choose one, I would take Carlo in that spot.
I looked at it from a similar perspective...I thought, who would I want on the ice more between the two, on a PK. If one of Chara OR Carlo was in the box for 2 mins...I still get worried when Z is serving...maybe I'm just used to his presence back there for so long....but I guess I pick Chara ATM.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Carlo is light years better than Chara IMO in his first couple seasons.

That being said, Carlo won't sniff the ceiling Chara set IMO.

Carlo will hopefully evolve into a better skating Johnny Boychuk.

Seems like an interesting comparable.

Btw can we agree that not giving Boychuk 6m was a decent choice?

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Carlo is probably the best defensive dman in the league over the full sheet of ice. Chara is still one of the best in his own end but his speed keeps slowing down with his age and he was never fast to begin with. If Chara is standing within stick range of the crease, he might still be #1 but there is a lot more ice than just that.
Also, Carlo is saddled with Krug most of the time who rarely plays defense so the fact his defensive numbers are as good as they are is incredible.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Carlo is probably the best defensive dman in the league over the full sheet of ice. Chara is still one of the best in his own end but his speed keeps slowing down with his age and he was never fast to begin with. If Chara is standing within stick range of the crease, he might still be #1 but there is a lot more ice than just that.
Also, Carlo is saddled with Krug most of the time who rarely plays defense so the fact his defensive numbers are as good as they are is incredible.
Big fan of Carlo, also a big fan of slowing your roll.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Chara will have had the better career, but Carlo today I think is better with all things considered. He is a little more stable and isn't getting burned like Chara has been sometimes due to his slowing speed and agility. It's awesome for us to have both because Carlo is providing the team flexibility to shorten Chara's minutes to really give him the best chance for success. As great of shape that he is in, I don't think top line minutes for a playoff run is a good idea.

Bingo. This.

Agreed.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014

What defensive numbers?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Lol no

One is a first ballot hof player that at one time could score a lot of goals on the pp.

Chara at 22yrs old = 13.4 p/gp
Carlo at 22yrs old = 13.9 p/gp

Why we're only talking about offense I don't know, but carlo is a big dman, untapped offensive potential, work horse on the blue line and excellent shutdown d-man...oh and he can skate.

Again Carlo is a new age Chara. Don't agree? Ok that's fine.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I accidentally posted this in the prospects thread instead of here. I guess I was too distracted watching the CBJ comeback.

For those asking, this is the paywall article on Carlo talking about his GA/60: Brandon Carlo is the most boring defenseman in the league,...
1.42 GA/60 (that was at the time of the article but Hockey Reference has it at 1.5 at the end of the season) at even strength is the best for any Dman playing 1000 minutes. What is amazing is he usually plays with Krug who has a 2.3 GA/60 EV which shows just how good Carlo is without him.
Interestingly, Lauzon and Clifton sit at 1.1 GA/60 EV in their 16 and 19 game stints respectively.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad