[Carlo Colaiacovo] I hope this is a wake up call for change in the NHL. Fans are losing interest. No rivalries; lacking storylines; more buzz around t

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
NHL is still a top notch product. The salary cap means we are not MLB where really only 6-8 teams are going to be able to have a chance at the world series in the next few decades. Because of the cap there is a spotlight on scouting, development and coaching in the NHL. You need to be successful in those areas. Then if you are successful there you can move into trades and free agents. It really is an even playing field. I would like to see the contracts lengths go down to five and six years for free agents (whether going to a new team or re-signing). Also stop the European expansion talk. That will be the end of the NHL imo. Keep it at 32 teams. Jig the playoff format to 1 vs 16 or at least conference style. Or scramble the last four or eight based on overall standings not geography. Would love a Regional Cup final - Tampa vs Florida, Calgary vs. Edmonton, LA vs San Jose, etc. Also re-do the draft lotto to make it more compelling. Yzerman whined so much about it has become less dynamic. Last six or eight should have even odds for #1.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
NHL is still a top notch product. The salary cap means we are not MLB where really only 6-8 teams are going to be able to have a chance at the world series in the next few decades. Because of the cap there is a spotlight on scouting, development and coaching in the NHL. You need to be successful in those areas. Then if you are successful there you can move into trades and free agents. It really is an even playing field. I would like to see the contracts lengths go down to five and six years for free agents (whether going to a new team or re-signing). Also stop the European expansion talk. That will be the end of the NHL imo. Keep it at 32 teams. Jig the playoff format to 1 vs 16 or at least conference style. Or scramble the last four or eight based on overall standings not geography. Would love a Regional Cup final - Tampa vs Florida, Calgary vs. Edmonton, LA vs San Jose, etc. Also re-do the draft lotto to make it more compelling. Yzerman whined so much about it has become less dynamic. Last six or eight should have even odds for #1.
Yeah, could you imagine watching a sport where only 6-8 teams win?

Cup.png

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Was going to create a thread on the forum for this but remembered this thread....

I have NOT watched the amount of NHL hockey this year that I normally do. I would say my viewership is down 70%. The 2 main reasons are the the Ducks are really bad (even though I'm still tuning in to see the young players) and I'm a big NBA fan and have enjoyed the storylines in the NBA this year.

I'm not going as far as saying this NHL season sucks but does anyone else feel like their own viewership is down?

Mine hasn't been the same since the last lockout. I will catch part of a few games here and there but I don't actually sit down and watch a game from start to finish ever like I used too. Too many other forms of entertainment are available that a boring game isn't fun.

Reactions: quackquackquack

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Just to highlight the disaster that is NHL marketing....

The Caps and Canes are playing in the Stadium Series this weekend in Raleigh. Did you know? Bet it was a surprise for some, because that shit ain't been advertised at all this year. And when it was advertised, Ovi was the centerpiece of the commercials.

And now he won't be playing

The NHL f***s itself hard with the way they market, and don't market, some of their players and teams.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010

The Caps and Canes are playing in the Stadium Series this weekend in Raleigh. Did you know? Bet it was a surprise for some, because that shit ain't been advertised at all this year. And when it was advertised, Ovi was the centerpiece of the commercials.

The NHL f***s itself hard with the way they market, and don't market, some of their players and teams.

Honestly I had no clue when that game was? Its this weekend?

I think the Stadium Series isn't overly popular on TV though, games aren't fun to watch. More of an in person event I believe.

But without Ovi....they lost a big selling chip to a national audience.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Honestly I had no clue when that game was? Its this weekend?

I think the Stadium Series isn't overly popular on TV though, games aren't fun to watch. More of an in person event I believe.

But without Ovi....they lost a big selling chip to a national audience.
Yep.... Saturday

2nd best team in the league (as of the ASG) is playing in and hosting their first outdoor game in an event that sold the most tickets through the home team (as opposed to being corporate purchases or sold to the general public) that any Stadium Series game has ever seen. Same team has won back to back division titles in what was arguably the toughest divisions those years (Covid Central, last year's Metro), and its the first time the area is hosting any big event for the league in 12 years (2011 All Star Game).

Oh, and it was against the Caps, where Ovi would be playing in his first showcase game for the league since the record.

And you would never know because the league is not promoting it at all.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Nah..as a Jets fan, I'd officially be done with hockey. Baseball sucks because of no cap. Imagine if the NFL had no cap. There'd be a half dozen teams with all of the stars. The cap is what makes the NFL great.
All of the stars are on those teams because they want to be there. Winnipeg is always on the NTC and NMCs lists. The cap isn't the reason the players don't come to the small markets. They don't come there because they don't want to be there. And the endorsement opportunities.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I only know because I saw the jerseys at the NHL Store in Manhattan which is also very hard to find if you don't already know where it is.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I know everyone has been saying that the NHL can't market itself because of national games (at least this is what I was hearing during the NBC Days) but the thing I hate about national games is the announcers are not all that great. Leah Hextall has been talked about a lot, but I'm actually not a fan of Ferraro. I know a lot of people are, but I find Ferraro kind of annoying. These national crews are taking away from the home crews (What fans are used to) and it's actually my least favorite thing about this National Hockey Package. I know TNT has Wednesdays and Sundays, but ESPN seems to have a game every night. It's not as good and I don't like ESPN's coverage of hockey in this second era. This contract can't end soon enough.

How everyone loved ESPN's theme song for Hockey, I miss the NBC Theme Song for Hockey.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Numbers are down for viewership, Basketball and Cricket is very popular in Canada and Soccer is on the rise again. NHL needs to change the playoff format, same teams every year battling it out.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
it is all about marketing and consistency. In the US there needs to be a hockey night like in Canada, where we always know a game is on and no matter where you are you can watch it.

Reactions: zeeto and joelef

antman12

Nov 27, 2016

I follow the league about as close to anyone and hardly knew it was on this weekend.

And I agree with the many posted talking about the terrible job the league does with marketing their stars. For example: My GF who is a big football and baseball fan, but she still knows who LeBron, Durant, Embiid, Luka ect ect are. I turned on the skills comp and asked her if she knew who that was (Mcdavid) and she had NO clue. None.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
it is all about marketing and consistency. In the US there needs to be a hockey night like in Canada, where we always know a game is on and no matter where you are you can watch it.
As long as they don't butcher it like Sportsnet has done with HNIC, its HARD to watch, very much a "WOKE" broadcast with a political agenda.

Having 5 talking heads break down every little play and over analyze the game is BORING.

Anyway....like most Canadians, once June rolls around we are at the lake, outside, enjoying the start of summer and not watching a southern US team vs another US team in the cup finals.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Still have no idea why Bettman decided to expand instead of relocate dying franchises. The NBA, which is more popular than the NHL, doesn't even have 32 teams.

I don't think the current team locations/amounts are a bad thing. Other than arena locations in some of these places being poorly handled (Florida/Arizona) the rest are fine.

I think its the way the NHL has had to try and change the game to become more popular in the USA. It started when Bettman signed the Fox contract and moved (Jets, Minnesota, Quebec, Hartford). Traditional hockey fans and people realized the attempt at turning the sport into a Major sport was going to change everything, Since then the game has changed so drastically its hard for anyone to sit down and watch a game without distraction. The product just isn't what it was.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
As long as they don't butcher it like Sportsnet has done with HNIC, its HARD to watch, very much a "WOKE" broadcast with a political agenda.

Having 5 talking heads break down every little play and over analyze the game is
In a way, it’s kind of the opposite for the TNT crew. Biznasty is so cringe and not remotely funny or interesting. Anson is great, Henrik is great, Gretzky is…subdued but he’ll obviously bring eyeballs. Messier and Chelios are obviously household names. It’s just Bissonette provides nothing. Wannabe Pat McAfee.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
They could stop having play-by-play and color commentators talking about betting lines during the game like it's part of the freaking action. That would be cool.

In 10-12 years we'll be seeing more than a few documentaries and netflix series about the people who allowed this gambling shit to happen. And just like the Sackler family and the opiate crisis, no one will be ever held accountable.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
The league mandated game management makes me so frustrated. If they simply called penalties consistently instead of seemingly having a different rulebook for each team and sometimes each player, it would make the game so much better.

The digital ads are terribly distracting and could have been handled so much better. Keep the same ads up for a period and have no moving ads.

And then there is betting. Like alcohol and cigarettes I hope gambling ads are stopped. It can be addictive and ruin lives.

stranger

Jan 18, 2015
MN
All of the stars are on those teams because they want to be there. Winnipeg is always on the NTC and NMCs lists. The cap isn't the reason the players don't come to the small markets. They don't come there because they don't want to be there. And the endorsement opportunities.
Because of the cap, Winnipeg is a top 10 team. With no cap, they would be forever bottom 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad