[Carlo Colaiacovo] I hope this is a wake up call for change in the NHL. Fans are losing interest. No rivalries; lacking storylines; more buzz around t

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Out of nowhere he comes up spitting facts
IdenticalCelebratedChital.webp

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
As good as the cap is for keeping the have teams from out spending the have nots, it's the biggest hurdle for trades. As nice as it would be to close the LTIRetirement loophole, it's about the only thing helping teams. If I were to propose a change to the existing system it might be to institute a 'franchise tag' without the limitations it puts on a player in the NFL. One contract that doesn't count against the cap. You can change which contract it is before the start of the season. After that, you're locked in.

That said, it is a problem that trade chatter and rumors constitute perhaps the largest piece of the pie when it comes to league promotion.

The best way to go about getting rivalries back is to overhaul the divisions and go back to inter-divisional rounds, then conference, then final. It's harder with 32 teams than it was back in the day, but it's the way to go imo.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
There's issues and faults, sure. But you could make a list like this in the '80s, another in the '90s, then another in the 2000s, and again in the '10s.

And the same could be said for other sports. I'm not really a baseball fan. But I could just as easily spout out "fans are losing interest, there's a mental health crisis for players, there's blatant tanking, they should expand the postseason, just to name a few."

Pointing out NHL problems isn't new or interesting. A legit suggestion to fix even one would be.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Athletic dug into the numbers. The drop in ratings is almost solely due to ESPN deciding to counter Sunday Night Football with NHL games, which they didn't do last year and they are getting slaughtered (which basically every show on Television does).

On the games not going up against football, ESPN is averaging 491,000 which is slightly higher than last year.

Ratings decline is due to ESPN programming decisions.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
The Athletic dug into the numbers. The drop in ratings is almost solely due to ESPN deciding to counter Sunday Night Football with NHL games, which they didn't do last year and they are getting slaughtered (which basically every show on Television does).

On the games not going up against football, ESPN is averaging 491,000 which is slightly higher than last year.

Ratings decline is due to ESPN programming decisions.
But that means hockey is used as filler programs

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Too many math equations?
I think when he hit the boards with his face in that Detroit game he was thinking to himself, "should I take the straight line path or the parabola path to stop this streaking defender hmm gotta make a quick decision here **takes the straight line path**hits boards with face** urgghhhhh i should've taken the parabola path"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad