Carl "Yeti" Soderberg - III

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If it was truly the rib and not the competition,he deserves another shot.

Broken rib or not, deserves another shot where? Certainly not on Boston.

Even if Kelly contract is moved, how in the blue hell does a team with the cap problems the Bruins have justify paying Soderberg anywhere close to market value to be the 3rd or 4th line center. Especially with larger holes on the wing and on D.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I always suspected that Carl's decline in play as the season progressed was due to a nagging injury.
It will be quite interesting to see what results a healthy Carl can put up during his next contract.

That last comment he made....do you think the Habs will pick him up? They're after a bigger C. I hope not, id fee sick :laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That last comment he made....do you think the Habs will pick him up? They're after a bigger C. I hope not, id fee sick :laugh:

They would like a bigger C no doubt.

I can guarantee the bigger C they want is a much better player than Soderberg.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Well all I can say is I have fractured my ribs playing hockey and I was miserable for 2 months, I could barely function for weeks and that was just normal day to day stuff....I can't even imagine playing in the NHL with that kind of irritating nonstop discomfort....everything hurts to do.....every single movement.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Don't worry. Bruins fans overrate him because of his past. The boards 4 years ago were all about how he will NEVER come to Boston and how he was this missing piece.

He isn't bad but he's not somebody who's going to haunt Boston in the future.

johpers

Aug 20, 2003
Sverige
Visit site
Don't worry. Bruins fans overrate him because of his past. The boards 4 years ago were all about how he will NEVER come to Boston and how he was this missing piece.

He isn't bad but he's not somebody who's going to haunt Boston in the future.

I do not think David Krejci injury problems last season will end. His injury is probably of a nature that it will return when he strains his body. To dump Soderberg who has actually played for free for Boston and made it really good is stupid. An injuryfree Soderberg had been a very good backup for David Krejci. It would be ironic if Soderberg moves to Dallas and makes it as good as Tyler Seguin made it last year and David Krejci injury problems continues. I do not think many people here understand that it is almost impossible to play with broken ribs and Carl did it for maybe 20 games meanwhile David did not play because of his injuries.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I do not think David Krejci injury problems last season will end. His injury is probably of a nature that it will return when he strains his body. To dump Soderberg who has actually played for free for Boston and made it really good is stupid. An injuryfree Soderberg had been a very good backup for David Krejci. It would be ironic if Soderberg moves to Dallas and makes it as good as Tyler Seguin made it last year and David Krejci injury problems continues. I do not think many people here understand that it is almost impossible to play with broken ribs and Carl did it for maybe 20 games meanwhile David did not play because of his injuries.

what evidence do you have that Krejci will be injured again? He had one injury riddled season with 3 seperate injuries. So.....also did you ever watch Soda in a top 6 role. Did absolutely nothing. I'd out Spooner in our top 6 before Yeti.

johpers

Aug 20, 2003
Sverige
Visit site
what evidence do you have that Krejci will be injured again? He had one injury riddled season with 3 seperate injuries. So.....also did you ever watch Soda in a top 6 role. Did absolutely nothing. I'd out Spooner in our top 6 before Yeti.

Thats true but not even David Kreici and Spooner would have done much in a top 6 role with a broken rib

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Thats true but not even David Kreici and Spooner would have done much in a top 6 role with a broken rib

Only Bergy has the kind of pain management. It's not a knock agaisnt him as a player but only having one eye prevents us from being able to move him around if we had to. If he could play wing i bet he'd have a contract.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I was repeatedly pushing for the Bruins to move Soderberg at the deadline to Edmonton or anyone that would offer a 2nd for him. Considering what Vermette got at the deadline and how Carl had similar stats, it truly was a wasted asset.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I was repeatedly pushing for the Bruins to move Soderberg at the deadline to Edmonton or anyone that would offer a 2nd for him. Considering what Vermette got at the deadline and how Carl had similar stats, it truly was a wasted asset.
Distinctly remember Soderberg for Yak (we'd be winning that right now)

Ill look at both sides of the coin though, i think most people here, and the players and management thought Boston were gonna easily make the playoffs...we would have needed Soda but that backfired...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Distinctly remember Soderberg for Yak (we'd be winning that right now)

Ill look at both sides of the coin though, i think most people here, and the players and management thought Boston were gonna easily make the playoffs...we would have needed Soda but that backfired...

I think he was talking about moving Soderberg to a contender? Many of us thought that if Chia was not going to bring Carl back, he should have dealt him.

Why on earth would EDM have traded Yakupov for a rental? :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

certainly don`t think Edmonton would have offered a 2nd for a player who`s a UFA and them being out of a playoff picture

I`m not so sure Soderberg is rated as highly around the league as many here assessed him.

He`ll get paid, and well this summer as a UFA as most do, Hawks were in a desperate situation with Kane injured and them not having a clue he`d be back for the playoffs so it was easy to see why they had to pay the price for Vermette that they did

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
thinks Soderberg would have been a *great* rental for a few of the playoff teams. Washington and NYI both come to mind. He's the kind of guy who would be an upgraded at 3rd line C for a lot of good teams and it is definitely silly they didn't get anything for him considering they were willing to move Boychuk in October

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

If both are healthy though ,there is no comparison ,Krejci is usually money in the playoffs . It wouldn't surprise me to see Soderberg do well on another team and if he could play the wing the Bruins would likely be looking to retain him but as others have said with Spooners's impact this year Soderberg is gone .

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
certainly don`t think Edmonton would have offered a 2nd for a player who`s a UFA and them being out of a playoff picture

I`m not so sure Soderberg is rated as highly around the league as many here assessed him.

He`ll get paid, and well this summer as a UFA as most do, Hawks were in a desperate situation with Kane injured and them not having a clue he`d be back for the playoffs so it was easy to see why they had to pay the price for Vermette that they did

The Oilers wouldn't have ponied up that rich of a return for Soda (1st and a decent prospect), but somebody certainly might have... Oh well, no sense dwelling on it now...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Don Sweeney

“Carl was a very important part of our team this year and, in a perfect world, we would be able to retain Carl. It’s highly unlikely at this point in time that that will be happening. I think that Joonas represents a player of similar nature, similar skill set,†said Sweeney. “He’s a big, strong player (6-foot-2, 215 pounds), he’s responsible, he’s 27 years old, so he’s been through the pro ranks and he’s ready for it. He’s got some heaviness to his game but you look at his offensive production was pretty darn good this year in particular, but really the past couple of years, he’s been very, very consistent and he rolled that right over into the World Championship. He was both very reliable and accountable as a two-way player but also produced offensively, which s huge for us.â€

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Don Sweeney

“Carl was a very important part of our team this year and, in a perfect world, we would be able to retain Carl. It’s highly unlikely at this point in time that that will be happening. I think that Joonas represents a player of similar nature, similar skill set,†said Sweeney. “He’s a big, strong player (6-foot-2, 215 pounds), he’s responsible, he’s 27 years old, so he’s been through the pro ranks and he’s ready for it. He’s got some heaviness to his game but you look at his offensive production was pretty darn good this year in particular, but really the past couple of years, he’s been very, very consistent and he rolled that right over into the World Championship. He was both very reliable and accountable as a two-way player but also produced offensively, which is huge for us.â€

Thanks for posting this- I'm reading my Red Line draft Guide and they discuss Kemppainen on the Euro Free Agency section and they pretty much gush over him

Krejci
Bergeron
Spooner
Kemppainen
Koko in the wings

Digging it

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
habs looking for a center with size. would make me unhappy if carl ended up there.

Ruzicka38

Oh man
Jan 19, 2006
Hopedale
habs looking for a center with size. would make me unhappy if carl ended up there.

Agreed. He'll put up 60 points with them and Kelley will get 16. How that choice was made is beyond me. Yeti is as good or better than Chris Kelley at every aspect of the game (including faceoffs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad