Carl "Yeti" Soderberg - III

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
It will be interesting to see what happen with the Yeti over the next couple months.

-Will he sign an extension before the deadline?

-If not, will he be traded before the deadline or will Chiarelli keep him for the playoffs run with the chance of losing him for nothing in July?

-If he leaves for nothing next July, will the same people that said that was a mistake to trade Boychuk for futures instead of playing him for the season be consequent and adopt the same mentra for the Yeti or will they say that Chiarelli made a mistake by letting him go for nothing?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It will be interesting to see what happen with the Yeti over the next couple months.

-Will he sign an extension before the deadline?

-If not, will he be traded before the deadline or will Chiarelli keep him for the playoffs run with the chance of losing him for nothing in July?

-If he leaves for nothing next July, will the same people that said that was a mistake to trade Boychuk for futures instead of playing him for the season be consequent and adopt the same mentra for the Yeti or will they say that Chiarelli made a mistake by letting him go for nothing?

The Bruins need him this year so I don't see PC trading him,not sure if they can get an extension done before the deadline.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Going with zero chance they trade him before the playoffs.

I like our chances of getting him back, but no doubt a few teams will be in line to throw an overpay at him (Edmonton?).

The big advantage is how much he enjoys Boston. Sounds like quality of life matters a lot to him, and I think the taxation in Canada levels the playing field a little towards staying in Boston. That hurts Toronto and Edmonton, two teams who would probably give him well over 5m.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Does sticking with Soderberg handcuff us to Ericksson? I like how they play now, but that means more money than I want locked up in a tandem that seems third lined. If Soderberg would take 4M then we have more than 8M tied up. I guess a question would be what's a fair cap % for a third line to make? Could be that an expensive third line means good things for our depth composition up front. I would like to see if we can find a sub million dollar cap hit in the system or externally to play on the wing with Ericksson and Soderberg. I also realize I'm kind of bi-polar with this series of statements and questions.

Last edited:

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I think Loui being here both this year and last year might have played more of a role in Carl acclimating to life in Boston than we realize... Yeti has mentioned his friendship with Loui on several occasions (including Swedish interviews). When one considers how his initial stint in the NHL as a youngster went, after St. Louis drafted him, it's easy to see how the comfort of a Swedish teammate -- who just so happens to be almost the exact same age and marital status as well -- could be a pretty substantial factor in his evaluation of Boston/America.

Carl himself has said he was extremely lonely and homesick during his time with the Blues... i understand he's older now and that's also a factor but having Loui around also helps. They also play well with each other and have good chemistry, if somewhat overblown at times.

I just feel like it's of the utmost importance that Chia locks him up for as long as he wants to play in North America, given that this team does not have an elite scorer/sniper. One of our main strengths is our 1-2-3 punch down the middle and our well above-average "3rd line" and until the B's acquire that pure scorer (you know, like a Tyler Seguin :naughty:), keeping Carl in Boston is paramount.

If Loui helps make that more likely, then it would actually give his value [to the team] something of a boost IMO.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't pay him top 6 money. He certainly deserves it on the open market, but it's just not worth it for the Bruins. There is no room for advancement with the Bruins center-spine (not to mention I didn't really like what I saw from him when he was forced into that top 6 role), and while having Soderberg as your third line C is a huge luxury, I'd rather they spend that money elsewhere.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I wouldn't pay him top 6 money. He certainly deserves it on the open market, but it's just not worth it for the Bruins. There is no room for advancement with the Bruins center-spine (not to mention I didn't really like what I saw from him when he was forced into that top 6 role), and while having Soderberg as your third line C is a huge luxury, I'd rather they spend that money elsewhere.

Who is going to play 3rd line center and give you the points Yeti produces at the price we are/will [more likely than not] be able to lock him up at-- not his open market value? He's the 2nd most skilled playmaker on the team, behind #46, he's getting pretty good at face-offs, and he has shown he can dominate lower pairing D-men regularly.

Since switching to center last season, up to the present, he's approximately a 0.75 PPG guy with great hockey sense, high-level skill, and a solid 6'3" frame. Unless he gets greedy, i have to think Chia doesn't want anyone else as his #3 centerman. Getting someone who provides what Soderberg does on the market would not be cheap.

Yeti has been at or near the very top of the Bruins scoring leaders all season. Yes he slumped a bit when Krejci was out but so did the whole team, DK is a core guy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
We might have to put Loui back with Soda. He is absolutely lost without him. Pasta to the 2nd ?

I don't really see Carl being "lost" without Loui. More likely adjusting to a new linemate in Pasta, who is going to be inconsistent as a rookie. I thought they looked decent together.

My preference would be to add a guy like Stafford and put him with DK or Bergeron and then have a 3rd line of 21-34-88, pushing Kelly back to 4th line center. IMO, that 3rd line would dominate.

That would allow the B's to get back to truly "rolling four lines" and wearing down opponents.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
We might have to put Loui back with Soda. He is absolutely lost without him. Pasta to the 2nd ?

How about the offensively USELESS Kelly on the 4th instead and Eriksson with Soderberg and Pastrnak. Then you could wake up Chiarelli from his coma so he can make the trade that should have been done years ago.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What would you do if a team throws a bunch of picks in this year's draft for him at the deadline, tough call I think

I think Spooner is gone at/before the deadline, so he is not an option. That leaves Koko as Carl's potential replacement if he were to be dealt or didn't re-sign. I guess it all depends on what the B's FO thinks of KoKo and how they want to assemble the team going forward.

Chia has said in the past that he loves centers with size, and that's Carl, not KoKo. My other question would be how is KoKo going to be accepted by Clode? I think he has some grit that isn't in Spooner's game, but the way the B's play under Clode, the centers need to be defensively responsible. I don't see KoKo enough to judge how his D game has progressed. If KoKo cannot play the wing, my preference would be for Chia to go to a quicker 4th line, like we were supposed to get this year, but not sure that happens.

This year, not sure I see the B's moving Carl, unless they get blown away by an offer. They already have one hole in the Top 6, and if they are in a playoff spot at the deadline, they are not going to create another one at 3rd line C.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think i want any part of resigning him at this point. These prolonged stretches of poor play make Krejci and Lucic look great. He's been either invisible or just flat-out bad for a really long time now.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
We should probably figure out if this guy needs to play with Loui in order to produce before agreeing to give him 4million......

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
You can't be serious.

I am serious.....

He's been invisible when Eriksson hasn't been on his line. Before we give this guy that kind of money we should probably figure out if his production is contingent on playing with Eriksson cause I'm not interested in having Eriksson play on the 3rd in order to make his linemates productive. No way Smith should be in the top 6 over Eriksson.....

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Going with zero chance they trade him before the playoffs.

I like our chances of getting him back, but no doubt a few teams will be in line to throw an overpay at him (Edmonton?).

The big advantage is how much he enjoys Boston. Sounds like quality of life matters a lot to him, and I think the taxation in Canada levels the playing field a little towards staying in Boston. That hurts Toronto and Edmonton, two teams who would probably give him well over 5m.

Hard to believe I posted this a bit more than 2 weeks ago.

In another thread I mentioned I thought the Bruins should both buy and sell. I think that's still the case, and I'm going to openly contradict my above post:

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Boedeker-Kelly-Kassian
4th line

Yeti to a Western buyer, Bartowski to the Canucks, our own 2nd to the Yotes, and no upgrade on the blueline for the playoffs. Draft all our picks, and Kelly plays #3C for his last year as a Bruin next year or competes with the prospects for it.

We actually have some cap space to persue a #4D next year in free agency as a result. But it does start with selling the Yeti this year and still making a run in the playoffs.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I am serious.....

He's been invisible when Eriksson hasn't been on his line. Before we give this guy that kind of money we should probably figure out if his production is contingent on playing with Eriksson cause I'm not interested in having Eriksson play on the 3rd in order to make his linemates productive. No way Smith should be in the top 6 over Eriksson.....

As I posted this week earlier,Soderberg and Eriksson played 60 shifts together in the 3 games prior to Calgary. Out of 60 shifts they managed to outperform the opponent 10 times. This is what it has been for weeks but everyone kept talking about chemistry crap so I counted every shift over 3 games.

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Only a month ago I felt Soda was a must sign. But he doesn't look like the same player he was earlier in the season. Not sure what has happened but I would look to move him before the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00