Carl "Yeti" Soderberg - III

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I've been hoping this for years and nothing has happened.

There has to be some GM out there that wants an overpaid leader to get them over the cap floor or for veteran leadership.

Arizona perhaps??? Aren't they in tank mode because there is a local Phoenix kid who is supposed to go #1 next year? Kelly could be a good leader for a young team.

johpers

Aug 20, 2003
Sverige
Visit site
Sweeney confirms Soderberg return 'highly unlikely'

Sweeney confirms Soderberg return 'highly unlikely'

His statement indicates that he tries to trade him before July 1 to obtain a draft pick. The reason is that I think the interest to get him is great in NHL. This gives Boston a little payment for him because he is a very attractive and great player.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Thought Pujajarvi was a lock for #1 next season?

Not trying to be rude but you butchered that name so bad that I didn't know who you meant.

If Arizona has a choice they'll probably pick Matthews who is from Arizona but anything can happen from now until then.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Posters on this board with more knowledge than I have mentioned Kelly is trade-able. Return would be minimal but who cares.

The question is does Sweeney want to move him. That I am not so sure.

I'm guessing that the Bruins plan to have Kelly in the bottom 6 again this season. They value his contribution and he will continue to wear the A.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I'm guessing that the Bruins plan to have Kelly in the bottom 6 again this season. They value his contribution and he will continue to wear the A.

Combine that with re-upping a bottom pairing UFA defenseman and it's pretty clear they know the term cap flexibility, but don't actually know what it means.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

johpers

Aug 20, 2003
Sverige
Visit site

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Teams can officially start to talk to Soderberg and his agent today but not sign until July 1.

So the deadline for trading Soderberg to a team for exclusive negotiating rights is over.

But if there's more than one team that think they are close, then today (tomorrow at the latest) is the day for Sweeney to pull the trigger with one of those teams and allow them to sign him before July 1, before he can sign with anyone he chooses

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Carl is ranked #5 on TSN's leaguewide UFA tracker.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/dubnyk-tops-tsn-s-top-30-ufa-list-1.316058

Not a great talent pool. With hindsight it would've been great to have traded him at deadline, though I still think we could've done some damage if we had earned two more points and qualified for the playoffs.

No hindsight needed. It was stupid not to trade him. Especially after trading Boychuk before game 1 for the same reason (would not have given him that type of contract).

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Teams can officially start to talk to Soderberg and his agent today but not sign until July 1.

So the deadline for trading Soderberg to a team for exclusive negotiating rights is over.

But if there's more than one team that think they are close, then today (tomorrow at the latest) is the day for Sweeney to pull the trigger with one of those teams and allow them to sign him before July 1, before he can sign with anyone he chooses

how little would it actually take? i'm assuming a late pick at best.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
how little would it actually take? i'm assuming a late pick at best.

It depends pal.

All you need is two teams that want him bad enough. And by bad enough I mean not want to wait until July 1 and risk not getting him as a UFA.

If they both feel that way and really want him, let them bid against each other - and Sweeney can take the highest bidder

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Well, he's the best C on the market this year. He'll get his money. No doubt about it.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I think with that many teams in the mix and, as you say, limited Centers on market he'll do well.

I just don't think he's worth that kind of money.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
yep, i wager between 4.5 and 5

i like him....not that much

Same here. Was often left wanting more from him. Very passive for his size and did absolutely nothing in the 2nd half.

I wanted him traded at the deadline. Hanging on to him was a much worst decision than trading Boychuk before game 1...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad