Carl Hagelin

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They don't have a ways to go. They will be ready in the fall. Both need minor adjustments and are already very much knocking on the door. If we were early in the season and not in the playoffs, they'd be playing now, but nobody wants kids to be learning when we have one tight series after another.

Fast needs to get a little stronger. This certainly can be done over the summer.

Miller will need to get a little faster and a little quicker. He'll benefit a lot by going through the preseason, playing a few weeks of hockey at a level between the NHL and the AHL.

We shall see. Fast looked fairly far away in limited action so far.

AHB*

If Boyle could score 21 I could see Hags potting 30 in a good year, 20-25 being more of his average moving forward. The guy is a good hockey player

I feel the best word to describe Boyle potting 20+ is "mistake." While it's great he had a season like that, he's not even remotely close to a 20 goal scorer.

Hagelin is a fine player, he does the little things right and can certainly contribute significantly for a lower line player. That being said, IF he ever were to pot 30, i would consider it Boyle-like, in that it would be a "mistake."

The poster I quoted referred to Hagelin scoring 30 goals multiple times. The guy is not a 30 goal scorer. This year the NHL, had 21 30+ goal scorers. Every single one of those guys is basically a bona-fide star, outside of maybe Kunitz and Patrick Sharp (who are both better players then Hagelin AND play with elite players).

Hagelin has yet to show he is a 20 goal scorer, he also was not a young rookie. He will be 26 for next season and while that's not old, he is showing what his make-up is. I fully expect him to break 20, on multiple occasions, but to hint at or even expect 30 is not fair to Hagelin nor yourself.

We as fans tend to significantly overrate players, which is why it leads us to value them, often, negatively (see: Michael Roszival).

Hags is a fantastic guy to have in our Bottom-6. He's the kind of guy that helps you win in the playoffs. He's the type of depth you need on small contracts in today's cap NHL. But at this point, I think it's very clear what he is. A very good 3rd line player, who can slot in on the 2nd line, kill penalties and spark the offense with his speed.

I really like Hags, but to hear people talk about him scoring 30 is a shame and will no doubt lead to this guy becoming a whipping boy.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hagelins a difference maker. No way I trade him.

He doesnt always score, but he FORCES the other teams to adapt to him, not the other way around. He's fast, and a tremendous board player. he's UNIQUE....Unique players are a lot harder to find than catch-all players.

Hagelin could be an elite 3rd liner.

Rangers are going to basically be forced to move Brass/Pou/Zucc to our 2nd line next year, and make a makeshift 3rd line with Hagelin/Miller/Fasth/MSL/Nash/Kreider next year.

Will be interesting for sure.

I mean, what if the lines next year are...

Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Pouliot - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Fasth - Moore - Boyle

Pretty good lines, but arguably worse than this year.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Love him on the PK. He is still young so he is going to get better. He has a decent shot and good vision. If he gets a little more accurate with his shot while skating he becomes a game changer. To many shots right into the chest of the goalie. I liked him with Gabby and Richards when they were a line. His speed worked with Gabby and forced the D on their heels while richards old but loveable ass crept in and made a play.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Hagelins a difference maker. No way I trade him.

He doesnt always score, but he FORCES the other teams to adapt to him, not the other way around. He's fast, and a tremendous board player. he's UNIQUE....Unique players are a lot harder to find than catch-all players.

Hagelin could be an elite 3rd liner.

Rangers are going to basically be forced to move Brass/Pou/Zucc to our 2nd line next year, and make a makeshift 3rd line with Hagelin/Miller/Fasth/MSL/Nash/Kreider next year.

Will be interesting for sure.

I mean, what if the lines next year are...

Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Pouliot - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Fasth - Moore - Boyle

Pretty good lines, but arguably worse than this year.

If Nash is playing on a third line for a season he is getting traded. Yes he is slumping in the post season. There isn't even a question or debate there. He is playing ok but not scoring or even generating that much offense. At this point he is playing more like a third liner then a first. In the regular season he was still our best player when he was healthy. His goals per game average put him in the top 20 in the nhl. Even with a 10 game drought he had those numbers. He will not be a third liner in New York. Your post is just reactionary and is really bother some.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If Nash is playing on a third line for a season he is getting traded. Yes he is slumping in the post season. There isn't even a question or debate there. He is playing ok but not scoring or even generating that much offense. At this point he is playing more like a third liner then a first. In the regular season he was still our best player when he was healthy. His goals per game average put him in the top 20 in the nhl. Even with a 10 game drought he had those numbers. He will not be a third liner in New York. Your post is just reactionary and is really bother some.

or.

if you have Rick Nash on your 3rd line, you know youve got a strong/balanced team.

multiple ways to look at it. that's not a typical 3rd grinding line either, thats a pretty talented line.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

1. He's not better than St. Louis
2. He's not better than Zuccarello

That puts him on the 3rd line, despite his albatros contract. Having 3 balanced lines that can all play top-line minutes is a pretty damn good luxury

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
It will be nearly impossible for Hagelin to score 30 goals without at least some PP time. He averaged less PP TOI than pretty much everyone on the team.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
I feel the best word to describe Boyle potting 20+ is "mistake." While it's great he had a season like that, he's not even remotely close to a 20 goal scorer.

Hagelin is a fine player, he does the little things right and can certainly contribute significantly for a lower line player. That being said, IF he ever were to pot 30, i would consider it Boyle-like, in that it would be a "mistake."

The poster I quoted referred to Hagelin scoring 30 goals multiple times. The guy is not a 30 goal scorer. This year the NHL, had 21 30+ goal scorers. Every single one of those guys is basically a bona-fide star, outside of maybe Kunitz and Patrick Sharp (who are both better players then Hagelin AND play with elite players).

Hagelin has yet to show he is a 20 goal scorer, he also was not a young rookie. He will be 26 for next season and while that's not old, he is showing what his make-up is. I fully expect him to break 20, on multiple occasions, but to hint at or even expect 30 is not fair to Hagelin nor yourself.

We as fans tend to significantly overrate players, which is why it leads us to value them, often, negatively (see: Michael Roszival).

Hags is a fantastic guy to have in our Bottom-6. He's the kind of guy that helps you win in the playoffs. He's the type of depth you need on small contracts in today's cap NHL. But at this point, I think it's very clear what he is. A very good 3rd line player, who can slot in on the 2nd line, kill penalties and spark the offense with his speed.

I really like Hags, but to hear people talk about him scoring 30 is a shame and will no doubt lead to this guy becoming a whipping boy.

Never slated him down for 30, although I said he could attain it. I see him putting up 20-25 perennially

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
1. He's not better than St. Louis
2. He's not better than Zuccarello

That puts him on the 3rd line, despite his albatros contract. Having 3 balanced lines that can all play top-line minutes is a pretty damn good luxury

He is not better then MSL.

Zuc himself said he is putting up the numbers he is because he plays against other teams 3rd lines. Zuc is amazing but if you think he is going to be a 60 pt player facing nothing but top lines you are kidding yourself.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Gonna hijack this thread back for Hags.

.5 PPG so far with the GWG in game 6 against the Pens and typically very solid play.

This guy is an elite 3rd liner.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

.5 PPG so far with the GWG in game 6 against the Pens and typically very solid play.

Between him and Kreider, when we play our game, it's really difficult to keep up with us. Our competitive advantage may stem from the net out, but offensively these guys set the tempo.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

His PK ability has perhaps been even more important.

He and Boyle are a force as the 1st OK unit. Size and speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad