Carl Hagelin

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
While he had a bit of a rough start taking penalties early in the Philly series, Hags has quietly gone about his game and has been pretty solid. He's one of the guys that's barely mentioned in recaps or post game talk because he isn't overly flashy or taking cheap shots or any of that stuff. But, he's consistently contributing either on the score sheet or hustling with his speed and agility to keep plays alive and has been playing really well defensively. He's currently tied for team lead in goals and tied for 2nd in points, +3 and 1 game winner.

So, for one of the unsung heroes on this team so far, nice job Hags.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Love the guy when he's not asked to play top six minutes. His speed and hard work against the boards has helped this team force a game7.

The speed of Hags and MSL paired with the creativity of Richards could very well win us the game. That line has really made things happen

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Very good player IMO--ideally a 3rd liner but capable of playing pretty well on a 2nd line. Excellent fundamentally. Great speed and maneuverability. Very good pk'er. Very good hockey sense. Not a particularly physical player--has some size and strength issues--an average playmaker which is pretty much why he gets so little pwp time. Not really the guy you want screening the goalie out front of the net nor in setting up plays.

In this particular series he's made some really nice plays for us. His pk'ing has been good. He broke Fleury's shutout streak in game 4 and scored the game winner in game 6. He's been involved and productive. His skating has been a weapon.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
I love Hagelin, I don't like all the "trade him" sentiments that have been getting thrown around here lately. Homegrown talent, fastest skater in the league besides maybe Kreider, and he has been coming up clutch.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
His skating has really become a strength in AVs system because it stresses speed and puck possession. Only if he had more offensive talent he could be a very good 2nd liner

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
His skating has really become a strength in AVs system because it stresses speed and puck possession. Only if he had more offensive talent he could be a very good 2nd liner

If he had any more offensive talent he'd be a bonafide first liner.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Hags is just about to enter prime years. I feel like he's been slowly putting all the pieces together to help compliment his speed. I think he's going to mature into one of those solid veteran 50-60 point players that can play in all situations.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Guys who skate like him are rare. You stockpile all the guys like that you can. Speed kills.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
He was flying last night, up and down the ice, with and without the puck, he was making good plays all night long. He and Kreider both help the Rangers, because when they are on the ice, the other team has to respect their speed, which opens things up for other players.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This team plays fast hockey. Hagelin is a fast player. PKs, has great possession stats, homegrown, hard working. 17 goals while missing time, and playing 3rd line minutes with NO, absolutely NO Power Play time.

Baffled by why some people here want to trade him.

Way to step up Haggy.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Top tier 3rd liner. Adds a lot of depth to this team. I hope he's here for a long time. He's like a Kris Draper- cheap bottom sixer who helps define the teams identity.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I don't think Hags has put his game offensive completely together yet. He is still young and while I don't think he will be a consistent 30 goal per year scorer. I think he has a couple in there and a few 20+ goal seasons as well. His defensive game has been improving pretty much every year he has been in the NHL, just need the offense to catch up.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hagelin-Miller-Fast is going to be a hell of a third line, maybe as early as next season, but certainly the year after that.

AHB*

I don't think Hags has put his game offensive completely together yet. He is still young and while I don't think he will be a consistent 30 goal per year scorer. I think he has a couple in there and a few 20+ goal seasons as well. His defensive game has been improving pretty much every year he has been in the NHL, just need the offense to catch up.

I really don't see Hags scoring 30 goals, ever.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Perfect 3rd line player that has the ability to put up 40 points over a full season.

38 in 64 as a rookie.

24 in 48 games last season

And had he not missed training camp he may have pushed the pace a bit better this year as well.

His speed makes him dangerous. He's got a sneaky shot and is a threat short handed.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Maybe. Fast and Miller have a ways to go before they are even NHLers let alone part of a great third line.

They don't have a ways to go. They will be ready in the fall. Both need minor adjustments and are already very much knocking on the door. If we were early in the season and not in the playoffs, they'd be playing now, but nobody wants kids to be learning when we have one tight series after another.

Fast needs to get a little stronger. This certainly can be done over the summer.

Miller will need to get a little faster and a little quicker. He'll benefit a lot by going through the preseason, playing a few weeks of hockey at a level between the NHL and the AHL.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hagelin is a great complementary 5v5 player that can PK, but is useless on the PP. He is definitely not a "Bottom-6" player - as he has no business being on a 4th line, nor is he a strict third liner. I'd say he is a great "Middle-6" player. He was playing like a 1st liner 5v5 in 11-12 and 12-13, but took a clear step back this year where both his scoring- and possession numbers took a dive. I'd say he was one of the few players on this team whose offense was helped by Torts' system. He is still producing at a top-6 level 5v5 under AV though.

For context: Brassard gets a lot of love around here, but he doesn't score nearly as much as Hagelin 5v5.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hagelin is a great complementary 5v5 player that can PK, but is useless on the PP. He is definitely not a "Bottom-6" player - as he has no business being on a 4th line, nor is he a strict third liner. I'd say he is a great "Middle-6" player. He was playing like a 1st liner 5v5 in 11-12 and 12-13, but took a clear step back this year where both his scoring- and possession numbers took a dive. I'd say he was one of the few players on this team whose offense was helped by Torts' system. He is still producing at a top-6 level 5v5 under AV though.

For context: Brassard gets a lot of love around here, but he doesn't score nearly as much as Hagelin 5v5.

Don't know if Hagelin would be useless on the pwp. I mean basically that's what Torts said and where is Torts now? AV seems to be of the same mind as Hagelin almost never gets any pwp time. Hagelin is really fast and very good at puck retrieval--the problem is he doesn't have a bit shot or the frame to plant himself in front of the net--there are much better options amongst the forwards for moving the puck around and making plays--one of them is Brassard.

As for your final comment right now I feel very good about both Brassard and Hagelin. Hagelin has banged home two very important goals in the series with Pittsburgh--the first came in a loss but broke Fleury's long shutout streak that went 7 periods + and the second that was the game winner in game 6. Brassard has 4 goals and 2 assists against Pittsburgh in this series. They include the OT winner in game 1 and the game winner in game 5 and the third goal in the last game that gave us some breathing room. Right now IMO is not a good time to be making snarky remarks about him. He's been maybe our best forward in this series.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Hags is a useful player. You can put him on the third line, which is what his production sort of merits, but you can also move him around and use him as a complementary piece on the 1st or second line. When you do that, he's able to contribute by retrieving pucks and helping to keep play in the offensive zone.

Another nice thing about him is that I doubt he'll ever command a huge salary, so unless he gets it in his head that he wants top 6 minutes elsewhere, it shouldn't be too hard to keep him around.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
If Boyle could score 21 I could see Hags potting 30 in a good year, 20-25 being more of his average moving forward. The guy is a good hockey player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad