Carl Gunnarsson: Untapped Offensive Potential?

abhanot

Jan 27, 2012
I've been seeing it in glimpses here and there this season. Gunnar never shows his offensive abilities because he's usually top-pairing with Phaneuf, who seems to always want to join the rush. I guess this would tie Gunnar down to staying back as a stay-at-home D.

I think he's got some serious potential here, and the Leafs aren't utilizing him as they should. I know there's no one to replace him defensively, but if we paired him with an actual defensive defenseman, I think we'd see a solid output from him. With Rielly, Phaneuf, and Gardiner (most likely) being on this team next year, I would love to see Gunnar get some 2nd PP time.

Am I just crazy? Or has anyone else seen this offensive potential??

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's very underrated but he'll never be a defender that gets many points, and that's more then OK.

We need him to be a rock defensively and on the PK. I think he's shown that he can be just that.

Severely under appreciated sometimes.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Gunner is the only rock we have on defense, and has been clutch with key goals and key plays this season. He is more important than any defencemen on this team IMO. Teams win cups with D like him. IMO he is just as good as Hjalmarsson.

MrLegend28*

Gunner is the only rock we have on defense, and has been clutch with key goals and key plays this season. He is more important than any defencemen on this team IMO. Teams win cups with D like him. IMO he is just as good as Hjalmarsson.

Carl has 3 total goals this year, so where in that is "clutch" ??

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
If he chased an offensive game his D would suffer. He's a smart player who picks his moments, so when he does jump up it's usually a higher percentage play; Franson could take some lessons.

abhanot

Jan 27, 2012
All three of those were the reason the leafs won their games. He is steady, smart, and clutch.

Exactly. Couple of his passes are fantastic too. But I wish we had a better defensive d-man to put him with. Or 2 Gunnar's.

Ace88*

Carl Gunnarsson most certainly does not have untapped offensive potential lmao. Have you seen the number of times he's totally struggled to just settle a puck down in the o-zone and get a shot off? He fans more than a Chinese family.

abhanot

Jan 27, 2012
Gunnarsson is an absolute travesty on the powerplay. He is terrible at keeping the puck in at the line and lacks offensive creativity.

That's also Phaneuf and Franson. Gardiner can't keep it in, but I guess he's creative.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gunnarsson doesn't have much offensive upside but every now and then he does have a flash of great o-zone work. As said above, he seems to have a knack for picking his moments on a higher percentage scoring play and having it pay off - it's few and far between though.

I'm perfectly fine with him though because he's a pretty damn underrated defenseman. He's not quite as good as Hjalmarsson (his best comparable) but it's close.

Kyle Doobas*

He's one of the few defenders we have who will just throw the puck on net when there's no other obvious play to make, which I like, and he's pretty smart as far as knowing when to and when not to jump into the play.

I think he could probably put up a handful more points than he has if our team ever gets better at even strength, but he's definitely not a guy I'd be putting out on the powerplay, haha.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Franson is the worst. It's a shame they have to run 7D to insulate our garbage "#1" dman.

He deserves time in the press box. Complete liability

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
I am inclined to agree. I recall seeing glimpses of Gunnar showing some high-end offensive skill at times this year. His current role on the team doesn't allow for him to use those skills very often.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
That's also Phaneuf and Franson. Gardiner can't keep it in, but I guess he's creative.

Gunnarsson's worse than both of them at holding the line. We think Phaneuf and Franson just do it more often because they're always out there. Gunnarsson, in his brief looks on the PP, has been just bad at moving the puck and maintaining the line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Once Mark Fraser left, Gunnar became by far the weakest of the D offensively.

All around he has had his best season as a Leaf to date, he just needs to get off the top pair.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

No.
Hjalmarsson does basically everything better.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He doesn't have a great shot.

He doesn't have anything above average hockey sense from an offensive perspective.

He's not got a great pass.

Where do you expect Gunnar's offense to come from?

The reason why you see intermittent glimpses of Gunnar's offensive talent, is because he is a player that can contribute offensively in glimpses and nothing more.

There's no offensive upside there.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He have 15 goals in 450 pro-games (SHL/NHL). I pretty much doubt he will setting the league on fire any time soon. He could perhaps rack up more assist but he seem hesitant to make those kind of passes. Perhaps if our forwards came deeper to receive the puck he would have more assist since he could give them the puck in a safer position (less ice between them).

But I am ok if he "only" is a defensible stable 20 point guy.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
He doesn't have a great shot.

He doesn't have anything above average hockey sense from an offensive perspective.

He's not got a great pass.

Where do you expect Gunnar's offense to come from?

The reason why you see intermittent glimpses of Gunnar's offensive talent, is because he is a player that can contribute offensively in glimpses and nothing more.

There's no offensive upside there.

Bingo

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Nope. He's just been making some good reads and jumping up in the play of late. He is what he is, and glad to have him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
16 points at even-strength compared to 17, 14, and 14 for Gardiner, Rielly, and Franson respectively. Keeping in mind he typically plays tougher defensive minutes, it is surprising to see that he's ahead of two of them and only 1 back of Gardiner.

Thats not an anomaly either, he was 2nd among dmen for ES pts last season (1 behind Franson). If Franson were traded this offseason, I think Gunnarsson could fill in pretty well on a 2nd PP unit (with one of Rielly/Gardiner moving up onto the top unit). Dont expect big goals, but he's smart and he can move the puck.

With the right minutes, I think he could put up ~30 points, which is good secondary support from the blueline.

Leafsrule14*

I thought he did after last season but he dissappointed me this year.

I had higher expectations this season.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
we might find out next season if franson is gone. someone is going to have to go on the pp.

phaneuf-gardiner
rielly-gunnarson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad