Carl Grundstrom

respD

Jul 24, 2021
Kings have three lines that are working so there's just one line that Grundstrom could potentially play his way onto. His competition for a spot is Dustin Brown and Andreas Athanasiou (and Lias Andersson, but he's been on IR for a while and to my knowledge it's not clear when he'll be able to return). Athanasiou is the best point producer of the three, although some stats suggest he brings down the effectiveness of his linemates. Brown and Grundstrom this season have roughly comparable stats but that's with Grundstrom getting a higher % of o-zone starts and Brown having a notably down season. So I suspect the coaching staff feels he hasn't clearly outplayed either to earn the spot, and it will probably take an injury for him to get more games. It's a tough situation for a young player.

Hoven recently suggested that Grundstrom might not be back after this season.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
It shouldn't be a numbers game. The guy's play deserves playing time over others who are getting it. I'll be really disappointed if they let this guy walk and he goes on to be an effective player with another team. He's got skill and plays physical which is something a lot of the Kings prospects lack.

Agreed. I've thought for awhile that he will eventually end up being a solid player; it just won't be for the Kings. This is a case where I really hope that last clause ends up being wrong...

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
He should be playing more....aging vets stealing his ice time.

he had 5 goals in his first 15 games back in 18/19...looked to be a good power forward.

6 goals 3 assist this season in only 29 games....brown has 6 goals in 47 games and getting PP time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Albi

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
He's good but for whatever can't get regular ice-time.

He'll be packaged and traded sometime soon then flourish with his new team.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
This is pure speculation on my part. Every coaching staff in the NHL plays head games with their players to a certain extent. Whatever buttons you need to push to get the most out of your players. I'm sure they knew Grundy was better than AA - but I my thinking is that they thought he could be better than he was playing. Giving him the roster spot just because he's better than AA was creating too much complacency in his game. The message may have been: "Be better. You can be better. If you want a roster spot, be better." They wanted to force him to take the roster spot instead of just giving it to him - even if AA wasn't as good an option.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Grundstrom-Byfield-Blake Wheeler, let's go :naughty:

Really though Carl is basically the ideal third liner.

Really…..Wheeler’s cap hit is $8.25M for 2 more years after this season. I’d prefer to get Copp AND Dillon and take on less than that cap hit. AA + Walker + a prospect not named Vilardi, Turcotte, Clarke or Faber and a 2nd rd pick.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Really…..Wheeler’s cap hit is $8.25M for 2 more years after this season. I’d prefer to get Copp AND Dillon and take on less than that cap hit. AA + Walker + a prospect not named Vilardi, Turcotte, Clarke or Faber and a 2nd rd pick.

What you're saying makes much more sense. I'm just size queening about wheeler next to byfield and adding helenius

Reactions: TruKingFan

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Do we tho?

Fair enough point, but I’ll counter that Kempe’s shooting percentage is above his career average (i.e. potentially not sustainable) and last I checked there were multiple top 9 players that have a negative differential in expected goals versus actual goals. I think our PP woes could be aided by shooting talent too even if we’re currently getting the goals we need to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad