Carey Price vs Anze Kopitar

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm saying a player like Stevie Y wasn't in the cards even if Polluck was our gm.
And if Pollock was our GM Roy would've been a Hab for life. How long do you want to keep going on this? Roy vs Yzerman... pretty damn close man. I have zero problem with anyone who would take Yzerman. But I do have a problem if you think nobody would take Roy. And its the same with Kopitar vs those goalies.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
And if Pollock was our GM Roy would've been a Hab for life. How long do you want to keep going on this? Roy vs Yzerman... pretty damn close man. I have zero problem with anyone who would take Yzerman. But I do have a problem if you think nobody would take Roy. And its the same with Kopitar vs those goalies.

You win, I'm out.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
we cant say it was a bad move cause Price is one of the best goalie but yeah I would take Kopitar before him and alot of people we're surprised/disapointed back in the days that Gainey chose Price instead of Kopitar

just like he chose Gomez over McDonagh but that's another story

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
As much as I like Kopitar, Price is the best in the world at his position. Anze is not.

Kopitar wouldn't have 2 cup rings without Quick in nets. Kopitar is arguably the 3rd best player on his own team.

He is right. Price is closer to being the top goalie in the NHL than Kopitar to be the top forward.

we cant say it was a bad move cause Price is one of the best goalie but yeah I would take Kopitar before him and alot of people we're surprised/disapointed back in the days that Gainey chose Price instead of Kopitar

just like he chose Gomez over McDonagh but that's another story

It wasn't really Koptar vs Price, Kopitar was a wild card and only went 11th overall. The debate was Price vs Brule at the time.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
As much as I like Kopitar, Price is the best in the world at his position. Anze is not.

You don't think Kopitar is one of the best in the world? He's not better than Crosby, Malkin, or Stamkos but he's better than any other C in the league besides Toews or maybe Tavares, and even then Toews vs. Kopitar vs. Tavares is splitting hairs. Price is one of the best as well. Don't think he has reasonably separated himself from Rask or Lundqvist though.

Kopitar is the best player in LA IMO. Without Kopitar nobody is talking about how great Quick is, and people would be talking about Doughty as a defensive liability in the same way they do about Subban. He's a phenomenal player and his impact to his team is huge.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
I love Carey and at the time it was impossible to know how Kopitar would turn out, now as this question is being asked today, with the info we have today, for me it is clear without a doubt that Kopitar would have been a much better pick. Here's why: How many bona fide 1st line centers have been traded in the league in the last 5 years? One (Jeff Carter)? Teams just don't trade big, offensive, talented centers.....unless you are Paul Holmgren that makes boneheaded moves non-stop. Now, how many bona fide starting goalies? quite a few: Bishop, Anderson, Schneider...even Tukka is a trade (I know he was traded as a long shot rookie)...just to name a few...now I am not saying those guys are better or equal to Carey, but really believe that the habs would be a stronger team with one of those guys in nets and Kopi as 1st lince center. Just imagine a first line with Kopi and Patches....holly smokes!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Why do we always see these threads? :) You can't change the past...and the Habs got a superstar...I think it's extremely irrelevant who is thought to be better, especially since they play completely different positions.

If you asked Kings fan who they would prefer...Kopitar or Quick. they'd wonder why you asked such a silly question.

CastroLeRobot

Hab-a-bouille
Oct 4, 2007
Montreal
IMO...
Drafting Price was the first step in stopping the neverending "who starts" argument about goalies. Ever since Roy left, everyone was compared to him and goalies have had no margin of error. Hell, even Price went through it. Now no one asks who starts. Its gonna be Carey as long as he's here.

Now imagine having Kopitar instead...look back at our team back in 2005...you guys think he would've developped positively here, with all the contreversies, halak/huet/theo/Danis as goalies...I don't think we'd be where we're at right now.

Even if we traded for a goalie, it would"ve never been an "ELITE" goalie, and in this market, you need to be elite or GTFO.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why do we always see these threads? :) You can't change the past...and the Habs got a superstar...I think it's extremely irrelevant who is thought to be better, especially since they play completely different positions.

If you asked Kings fan who they would prefer...Kopitar or Quick. they'd wonder why you asked such a silly question.

Plus there were 5 picks between Price and Kopitar, not like they went back to back.

If anybody "missed" Kopitar it was Columbus or Chicago.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
You don't think Kopitar is one of the best in the world? He's not better than Crosby, Malkin, or Stamkos but he's better than any other C in the league besides Toews or maybe Tavares, and even then Toews vs. Kopitar vs. Tavares is splitting hairs. Price is one of the best as well. Don't think he has reasonably separated himself from Rask or Lundqvist though.

Kopitar is the best player in LA IMO. Without Kopitar nobody is talking about how great Quick is, and people would be talking about Doughty as a defensive liability in the same way they do about Subban. He's a phenomenal player and his impact to his team is huge.

Certainly, Anze is one of the best (at his position). But Carey is the best (at his position).

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
Actually I think Price has separated himself from Rask and is better. As for Lundqvist, one more good season from Price should take care of that. Price was the best goalie in the league this year. Don't look at the numbers look at the gold medal around his neck and what he did against Tampa and Boston in the playoffs. It would of been a different series against New York if he wasn't injured. Price was in the zone.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Certainly, Anze is one of the best (at his position). But Carey is the best (at his position).

How can he be clearly the best without even having been nominated for the vezina once ?

So far in his career he has 2 really really good almost vezina like seasons (2011 and 2014). These two seasons don't make him the clear cut best at his position. He's headed there and in all likelihood should be top 5 every year.. but that's consistency and hard work and it never stops. I'd refrain from awarding titles such as "best goalie of the league" until he achieves a really long stretch of consistency and/or shows an ability to dominate enough to get a trophy (whether it's the hart, vezina or conn smythe).

At any rate, Price has done nothing to prove that he's superior to Lundqvist. So right there, you can't say he's the best. I'll let you make an argument that he's the 2nd best but I just think that's far fetched considering he's never had a nomination for the vezina, and any such arguments would be mostly based on Price's potential to dominate in the future.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Actually I think Price has separated himself from Rask and is better. As for Lundqvist, one more good season from Price should take care of that. Price was the best goalie in the league this year. Don't look at the numbers look at the gold medal around his neck and what he did against Tampa and Boston in the playoffs. It would of been a different series against New York if he wasn't injured. Price was in the zone.
This season, Price was better than Rask in the PO.
As for Lundqvist, in the last five years, he was the best in NHL.
For most of those years, someone else was best than him.
But over five years, he was the best.

What would Lundqvist had done in LA or Chicago?

How many games in the PO were lost with Quick having below .900 save%?
10 games (if you include game 3 at 900)...
Back in 1996, Roy had seven games under .900 (he won one of them).

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
How can he be clearly the best without even having been nominated for the vezina once ?

So far in his career he has 2 really really good almost vezina like seasons (2011 and 2014). These two seasons don't make him the clear cut best at his position. He's headed there and in all likelihood should be top 5 every year.. but that's consistency and hard work and it never stops. I'd refrain from awarding titles such as "best goalie of the league" until he achieves a really long stretch of consistency and/or shows an ability to dominate enough to get a trophy (whether it's the hart, vezina or conn smythe).

At any rate, Price has done nothing to prove that he's superior to Lundqvist. So right there, you can't say he's the best. I'll let you make an argument that he's the 2nd best but I just think that's far fetched considering he's never had a nomination for the vezina, and any such arguments would be mostly based on Price's potential to dominate in the future.

But don't look at the stats or trophys or wins or games, just look at the gold medal and the series vs Boston. Hes on a mission.

All you need is one link from tsn to prove you that Price is the best in world even though it never stipulates such thing that does not matter because Price is the best.

sarcasm

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
Price has really elevated his game, especially this season. Could you imagine if Bergy signs or trades for another top six forward and a stay at home d-man. Someone physical and someone who can skate. If only Douglas Murray could skate! Lol!

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Price is the best yet no vezina, conn Smythe, cup, stats, etc. I think he is top 3-5 but to hear people prop him up over goalies who have accomplished more in the NHL is laughable and embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad