Player Discussion Carey Price *Vezina nominee* Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Well you do...:laugh:

His SV% against POs team is .925 w/o that 10 goals game. If his final SV% minus one game is .934 then you know against who he padded his stats.

I don't know what are you even arguing here, you realize .925 Sv% is Vezina territory right?

We've been there done that with these kinds of arguments. Backups won't sustain those numbers over a season where they aren't sheltered. We've seen it time and again.

I heard the same thing in 2014. Price went down and our backup with great numbers suddenly tanked.

Same thing happened in 2016 with Condon.

It's great that Montoya can do the backup job, but he's a backup for a reason. He ain't gonna finish with .934 if he's the starter. Price might though.

I'm not saying we should get rid of Price and make Al our starter. My whole point was that this team is not relying on Carey as much as may be perceived.

This team wouldn't lose a beat with any other decent starter you have out there in this league.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't know what are you even arguing here, you realize .925 Sv% is Vezina territory right?

I'm not saying we should get rid of Price and make Al our starter. My whole point was that this team is not relying on Carey as much as may be perceived.

This team wouldn't lose a beat with any other decent starter you have out there in this league.

Price's advanced stats say otherwise. We'd be out of the playoffs with the **** poor defensive coverage we've had during the MThead period.

Anyways, why would anyone feel confident with what Bergevin could get for Price ? He's a terrible asset manager with no vision for his club.

I'd rather keep our only HOF talent on the club and enjoy the only exciting player on this team.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

:facepalm:

No Belial, 8 games @0.925 doesn't put you Vezina territory, you're not even in good goaltending territory in the broad sense of the term... Because eight games. And we only got to THAT number by manipulating stats (removing game) its 0.901 in reality.

And no, before you lose it again, its not awful. Because sample size.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

No Belial, 8 games @0.925 doesn't put you Vezina territory, you're not even in good goaltending territory in the broad sense of the term... Because eight games. And we only got to THAT number by manipulating stats (removing game) its 0.901 in reality.

What are you talking about? That is Vezina territory in a season.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Without any changes? Are you kidding me?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

Look, Jean Charles Lajoie... the biggest Price defender who is still some how relevant in the french media said today; Price may have an awesome technique but is lacking that little something and therefore we should really consider talking to the other GM's about a potential trade.

Lajoie is largely connected, when he says something like this its most likely not just a personal opinion but an opinion that is shared amongs people in the management as well.

BTW while writting this Rinne robbed the ducks twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Look, Jean Charles Lajoie... the biggest Price defender who is still some how relevant in the french media said today; Price may have an awesome technique but is lacking that little something and therefore we should really consider talking to the other GM's about a potential trade.

Lajoie is largely connected, when he says something like this its most likely not just a personal opinion but an opinion that is shared amongs people in the management as well.

hapssh.gif

http://sportnographe.com/la-question-du-jour-et-si-subban-devenait-musulman-20619.html

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

No you absolutely need changes.

However I feel we are heading to another major disaster. i feel like the 2000-2001 years are just next door.

Its funny though how since Molson took over the organisation is heading to the toilets once again.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

The only one who's trying to manipulate anything here is you.

I only took out the 10:0 game because it's clearly an aberration and not a real indicator of Al's performances.

You came in with the PO teams, not PO teams thing...
I think there's some major confusion here... :laugh:

What?

You think this team would completely collapse if it's not Price in the net?

Last edited by a moderator:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The only one who's trying to manipulate anything here is you.

I only took out the 10:0 game because it's clearly an aberration and not a real indicator of Al's performances.

You came in with the PO teams, not PO teams thing...

Not a real indicator? If you go down that path anyone can claim we need to remove the shutout because "it's not a real indicator"

While allowing 10 goals in a game is rare, finishing a game with 0.750 SV% isn't, so it doesn't really fit under aberration.

And overall his SV% this season is in line with his SV% in career.

Yeah I came in with quality of opposition, I didn't take away anything, I just weighted the oppositions. His best games were against lesser oppositions which is pretty much what you expect from your backup. That's his job.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What?

You think this team would completely collapse if it's not Price in the net?
The way it's constructed now? Absolutely. We could sustain losing him for a couple of weeks but after a while we'd start to get killed. CJ won't use Chuck at center at all anymore. We have no number one OR number two center. We would get smoked.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At this point, with the GM that we have, you better not trade Price 'cause we might actually get our hands on Joe Thornton for him 'cause...."He's Joe Thornton". So might as well sign him. But I,ll tell you....in 2 or 3 years.....when we'll still haven't won anything, for his sake and ours, you have to hope he's traded to real cup contending team. Hoping we'd add pieces for a rebuild in the process.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yet...as much as we praise the likes of PK the playoff warrior, which he CLEARLY is, NOBODY can ever say that we know for sure that Carey is. 4 rounds wins in 8 years. So it's 2 things.....either we had crappy management for all this time (and don't worry, I pretty much agree with this) or like I said, he was unable to raise his game the way other weaker goalies did. So he is great goalie. But his playoffs resume STILL need to be written. On the verge of signing da big contract.

It's just the sad that what the 2016 season did to this management is that instead of realizing what a ****** team we had, it only reinforces the necessity to have Price in it. That was not suppose to be the realization that he should have had. Don't give me that we win the division crap. That in the end ONLY means that you are going to pick later in the draft. Washington wins everything and yet shows that they are not made for playoffs. Who cares what they win in the reg. season. Why should we care why we won?

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I don't care what some guy in the media said. :laugh: I know enough about the position to base my own opinion. The French media is the last place I'd be going for anything goaltending. They're bi-polar and change their minds at the snap of a finger.

Rinne gave up an absolute stinker in the first period and a wrister from the point. What's the difference? Nashville can score more then one goal a game.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We are a bottom feeder, AHL type of club without Price...it's already been proven.

He was MT's savior for almost 5 yrs, and he is now MB's meal ticket to surviving another 2-3 seasons...he will be signed, and the cap hit will not be insane at all, he is our BEST player.

We cannot score goals, and somehow some of you want to get rid of the guy who keeps us in the games night in and night out? We need skilled players to compliment our all star goalie...we need a GM who has some vision...We need to develop players better...
We don't need to trade our best player...seriously.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I personally think this team is to flawed to fix. But try telling that to management who are more worried about theirjobs. If we're going to be mediocre, I'd much rather have Carey steering the ship and keeping us competitive then constantly just missing the playoffs.
But the "competitiveness" that Price provides, absent adequate team support, is an illusion. It's a first round or second round exit, at best, every year he's in Montreal. It's another high teens, twenty-something draft pick that yields just another mediocre prospect. It just drags out the decline, until the day Price can no longer perform at a high level, and then suddenly there's next to nothing left and the team crashes hard.

But in my view, that crash must happen. The Canadiens have to sink, like a stone, fast and violent, and it has to wake up everybody in the organization, around the organization, in the media, in the alumni. Everyone. To the fact that the Canadiens have been running on a treadmill for over 20 years and will continue to do indefinitely if they continue doing business as they have done.

Not that it matters. I don't think anything's going to stop it. Bergevin's a tool and Molson is an empty suit. Nobody at the top of the organization thinks there's anything wrong. Price will get signed, the Habs will "compete" for a few more years, while winning nothing of importance, the organization will spout platitudes and cliches, and the mediocrity train will keep on rollin'.

Anyway. Price should wake up and get the hell out of Montreal before it's too late for him to win a Cup. Lundqvist's fate should be a precautionary tale for him.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The difference between an average starter and Condon is negligible.

Condon is fine for a while but he can't handle the workload of a real #1 and we saw it last year. He was decent at the beginning but then struggled mightily as the season went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad