Carey Price or Henrik Lundqvist?

Who had a bigger impact on their franchises?

• Carey Price

Votes: 66 24.3%
  • Hendrik Lundqvist

Votes: 180 66.2%
  • Both evenly

Votes: 26 9.6%

• Total voters

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Lundqvist, but both have had similar careers overall

HANK
Vezina: 1,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6
playoffs: 61-67 .921
Olympic Gold

PRICE
Vezina: 1,3,4,5,7
playoffs: 43-45 .919 SV%
Hart
Olympic Gold

Lundqvist.

Habs fans were willing to replace Price with Halak at one point.
I wouldnt put too much stock into the "what have you done for me lately" fans

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Price all Day

All you have to Do is look how the Habs did when Price was in the line-up versus how the Habs did when Price was injured

Price did as good as Lundqvist but was also pulling all by himself some really terribad teams

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Price all Day

All you have to Do is look how the Habs did when Price was in the line-up versus how the Habs did when Price was injured

Price did as good as Lundqvist but was also pulling all by himself some really terribad teams

I do think the Rangers at their best with Henrik were a lot better than the Habs ever were with Price.

The Rangers probably had an overrated defense (guys like Girardi were celebrated for shot blocking back in the day) and usually lacked true superstars and weren't a great possession team, but they had very good forward depth circa 2014 and 2015 and were a great counter-attack team. At least they had offense. They had guys like Brassard, Stepan, Nash, St. Louis, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Richards, Zuccarello, Boyle, Moore. MTL had Price, Subban and Patches.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

LDX

Jan 13, 2014
Iles de la Madeleine
While I do believe Price was the better of two stellar goalies, I really think Lundqvist had a much bigger impact on his franchise.

The thing is, the Rangers did need something to bring on the table when compared to other New York sports. Lundqvist not only did bring a decent team by his performance, he somehow embodied New York's lifestyle, he was the face of a franchise in a market where not only it mattered; it was necessary to compete with other teams in the sports entertainment industry. He handled that with professionalism, grace, and handsomeness.

Meanwhile, Price only cared about his own performances and the performances of the team, it was only a matter of hockey and results on the ice. He never embraced the role of being a superstar in a Montreal market, in fact he did his best to be forgotten and avoid fame. Which by all means, to be fair, is hard! Especially when it's simply not your personality. Nonetheless he was struggling with it at his best and was completely crushed by it as his worse, and for this reason I think the impact he had in Montreal isn't on par with the results he delivered on the ice.

Reactions: LokiDog

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think you need to look father than the 2015-16 season to answer your question. Through November of that year the team was 18-4-3, if I'm not mistaken, the best record in the NHL. Price went down for the season on November 25. From December on the team was 20-34-3. He had a crap team solidly in first place; when he went down they showed what the rest of the team looked like. To answer your question, I think Price had a greater impact on his team than Henrik. Though Henrik never played on any stacked teams either...

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Price all Day

Rangers were no better.... and Habs were top of their division during many of the Therrien years

Reactions: Voight

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Imo, Price peaked higher, but Lundqvist had the better career, and bigger impact on his franchise. If the Habs could have pulled off the Cinderella run in 21 I would have leaned Price

Reactions: Rockman74

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it's Price on the strength of just singularly carrying teams to all kinds of heights that are extremely rare for a goaltender in today's "goalies are voodoo" era.

Lundqvist was good for longer, but i never really bought into the idea that he was ever truly as "great" as Price was at his peak.

Though there is something to be said for the impact of just giving a franchise rock solid #1 Goaltending forever like Henry did. I just think that in the grand scheme of things, the Rangers went far more as the quality of the rest of the team did and were more up and down. Compared to the Habs who were also up and down but basically just went as far as Price could take them. In that Henry was a lot more "consistent" over a longer span where the Rangers waxed and waned significantly. Whereas the Habs were volatile in a way that pretty much directly coincided with Price playing like a hero...or being injured.

Reactions: banks

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I do think the Rangers at their best with Henrik were a lot better than the Habs ever were with Price.

The Rangers probably had an overrated defense (guys like Girardi were celebrated for shot blocking back in the day) and usually lacked true superstars and weren't a great possession team, but they had very good forward depth circa 2014 and 2015 and were a great counter-attack team. At least they had offense. They had guys like Brassard, Stepan, Nash, St. Louis, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Richards, Zuccarello, Boyle, Moore. MTL had Price, Subban and Patches.
Zuccarello led the Finals squad with 59 points. They emphatically did not have scoring. They had Lundqvist.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Lundqvist, but both have had similar careers overall

HANK
Vezina: 1,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6
playoffs: 61-67 .921
Olympic Gold

PRICE
Vezina: 1,3,4,5,7
playoffs: 43-45 .919 SV%
Hart
Olympic Gold

I wouldnt put too much stock into the "what have you done for me lately" fans
This is a weird comment to me, because you show Lundqvist having as many t3 vezina finishes as Price had t10, and then again as many 4-10 finishes. They played at the same time, so that by itself tells you, everyone knew Lundqvist was better in the moment. They voted that way basically every year but 1.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lundqvist.

Habs fans were willing to replace Price with Halak at one point.
At the age Price was when this happened, Lundqvist was still in the Elitserien.

They both became elite goaltenders at age 23, Price exited the elite by force at 34, Lundqvist tapered off at 32.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Bigger impact on their franchise how?

I think Price is the better goalie, so voted for him. But Habs are a more storied franchise, so depending on what you mean by impact, maybe it's Henrik.

Better career? Price had absolutely horrible luck with health, so you can argue Lundqvist may have had the better overall career.

Speaking of health, you might say that there's no other top player in the history of hockey who had worst injury luck than Price, 3x over, that impacted his team as greatly as his 3 injuries have:

1. 2014 playoffs. High off Olympic success. Carrying Habs to round 3 and beyond....only gets run over by Kreider in conference finals game 1, is injured. Habs are out.

2. 2015-2016 season. Starts the season super hot, has Habs #1 in league in early November. He looks to be on pace (only 1 month in of course...) to once again be favorite for hart/lindsay/vezina after winning year before....and goes down to injury. Habs go from 1st in overall league with Price to last in overall league without Price. Huge difference....

3. 2021 playoffs. Habs have no business winning even 1 round, but Price is fantastic and carries team to the finals. They do lose to Tampa. Next season - Price is out to injury. Habs go from cup finalists to absolute dead last in standings again...

It's pretty crazy how night and day difference it makes in those 3 instances with a healthy Price vs an injured Price for the habs...

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Lundqvist had a way more consistent career year to year. Price had a better peak season but that’s all he has over Lundqvist. I find price to be a little overrated these days. He got a little lucky by having his peak coincide with offence in the league tanking and his peak season having some of the worst production from top talent ever.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If this was a simple "who had a better career" discussion, I would say Lundqvist, but Price dragged the Habs to a cup final when they had no business being there too. I think they both had a comparable impact to their respective organizations overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad