Carey Price is the worst goaltender in the NHL right now

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
he's not ffs

huge contract, did not train

messy organization, what did you expect to happen. He'll be in form mid season and honestly this is the best thing to happen to the Habs otherwise they're looking at another 2nd round or 1st round loss

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
Not anymore, but he was not too long ago when people were claiming he was the best player in the league.

Still top-5 although that contract is a mess

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's great. He's simply in a slump. That contract is bad though. Only because you don't build around a goalie.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Top 5 goalie in the league - yes
Top goalie in the world? no
Best player in the world? lol no

Overrated is a relative term. Depends on how you rate him.

Lady Santa

of Wonderland
Feb 4, 2016
Montreal
You do know a thread was -just- closed, with, word for word, the same title, right?

Edit: Merged

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You call him the worst starter, and then ask if he's overrated? Is that serious?

He hasn't had a good year, but I seriously doubt he forgot how to goalie over the summer. He'll bounce back.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You call him the worst starter, and then ask if he's overrated? Is that serious?

He hasn't had a good year, but I seriously doubt he forgot how to goalie over the summer. He'll bounce back.

I agree he's probably not going to stay a complete dumpster fire going forward, but what will he 'bounce back' to though? Hes on the wrong side of 30 and had his best years 2-3 seasons ago. Does he go back to super-goalie or is he starting to decline as players that age generally do?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's just playing like 6.5M Price, way below his new baseline. Next year 10.5M Price will be great again.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I agree he's probably not going to stay a complete dumpster fire going forward, but what will he 'bounce back' to though? Hes on the wrong side of 30 and had his best years 2-3 seasons ago. Does he go back to super-goalie or is he starting to decline as players that age generally do?

I guess we'll find out. He may bounce back to the normal Carey Price or he may not. 14 games isn't a big enough sample size to determine that though.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He just turned 30 a couple months ago though. Things don't generally go downhill that quickly for goalies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Price was overrated way before his Hart season. He had good not great stats but because he played in Montreal and would have some great games Habs fans here would call him the best goalie in the league. Then he had a great playoff in 2014 and a great season in 2014-15 and the hype went through the roof. Considering he was already "the best goalie in the league" when he didn't deserve it he was now the best player in the league and one of the best of all time (apparently someone here said he was called the best of all time). Then he had a great 10 games in 15-16 but got hurt afterwards. Then he had another great start last year but ended up being just very good not amazing last year (punctuated by a mediocre playoffs). Granted even with the injury in 14-15, he had a great 3 season stretch. But he was never as good as his hype. That's what happens when you get hyped to the moon even before you do a thing to deserve it, you have to up the ante when he becomes good.

Reactions: MVPGoon and Siddi

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Got to be a little awkward having this Lindgren kid who hasn't lost yet and has a .960 save % over his first 4 games with $12 million/year in Price and Montoya ahead of him.

Apr 28, 2010
People love to overreact. Bad stretches happen and no doubt Price will bounce back. He had his slump last year mid-december and bounced back after Therrien's firing.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Truthfully I think Montreal misses Markov. Price wasn't ever as good during when Markov was injured. I think he helped solidify the defence a lot.
I also think that Montreal had this kind of collapsing defence that allowed Price to know where the shot was coming from a lot more.

He'll most likely get things sorted out as well as his communication with his defensemen and look good again but I've always thought he was a very good goalie when put behind structured d but not loose enough to overcome too much havoc around the net.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I still remember my neighbor, his cousin, bragging about how good of a goalie he was at 12. Finally got to play a bit of street hockey against him and potted shot after shot, granted I was 18, but he was good for his age I remember that much.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Truthfully I think Montreal misses Markov. Price wasn't ever as good during when Markov was injured. I think he helped solidify the defence a lot.
I also think that Montreal had this kind of collapsing defence that allowed Price to know where the shot was coming from a lot more.

He'll most likely get things sorted out as well as his communication with his defensemen and look good again but I've always thought he was a very good goalie when put behind structured d but not loose enough to overcome too much havoc around the net.

No goalie looks good behind a putrid D (Schneider could make a case but even he had a bad year right after the Devils lost Larsson). Our D hasn't got so much worse to completely explain Price's sucking but it always plays a role in how the goalie looks.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Price was overrated way before his Hart season. He had good not great stats but because he played in Montreal and would have some great games Habs fans here would call him the best goalie in the league. Then he had a great playoff in 2014 and a great season in 2014-15 and the hype went through the roof. Considering he was already "the best goalie in the league" when he didn't deserve it he was now the best player in the league and one of the best of all time (apparently someone here said he was called the best of all time). Then he had a great 10 games in 15-16 but got hurt afterwards. Then he had another great start last year but ended up being just very good not amazing last year (punctuated by a mediocre playoffs). Granted even with the injury in 14-15, he had a great 3 season stretch. But he was never as good as his hype. That's what happens when you get hyped to the moon even before you do a thing to deserve it, you have to up the ante when he becomes good.

People do this with goalies. Was the same with Ryan Miller around and after his Vezina year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad