Confirmed with Link: Carey Price is the Habs nominee for the Masterton Memorial Trophy. Update: Finalist!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Brian Boyle is my dark horse. He didn't play last season (I didn't check if he gave a reason). Then he was invited to a pro tryout in Pittsburgh and played the whole season. He doesn't play a big role on the ice but considering his health, the fact that he missed a whole year and that he was still willing to play one more season feels like perseverance. But the reason he may not win it this year is probably because he already won it 4 years ago.

Duclair would be my 2nd, mostly because of this quote "Off the ice, Duclair is one of the founding members of the Hockey Diversity Alliance and has headed up the Panthers’ team initiatives including wrapping their sticks in special tape which reads ‘Racism Has No Place in Hockey’ as well as wearing anti-racism t-shirts to games."

That quote is relevant for the King Clancy, not the Masterton.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
That quote is relevant for the King Clancy, not the Masterton.

I forgot about the King Clancy :help:
(and saw your previous post after posting mine)

I'm sometimes confused with the Awards like I thought the King Clancy was the player with the least PIM but that's actually the Lady Bing.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
This is an off ice award. You don’t have to play any games to win. It’s about perseverance, leadership, overcoming obstacles…
I know what’s it for, but it’s silly. We don’t even know how far any these guys have come except for by their play. 3-4 games isn’t enough to show they have overcame their demons or whatever ails them. 99% of the time the winner plays games and more than a handful., so this idea that it’s not about being on the ice isn’t true. It’s perseverance and dedication to hockey, not dedication to life. We all have that.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know what’s it for, but it’s silly. We don’t even know how far any these guys have come except for by their play. 3-4 games isn’t enough to show they have overcame their demons or whatever ails them. 99% of the time the winner plays games and more than a handful., so this idea that it’s not about being on the ice isn’t true. It’s perseverance and dedication to hockey, not dedication to life. We all have that.
It doesn’t matter about the games or how he played… Again guys have won playing zero games.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Paul Byron? he came back and contributed. Price came back but perhaps prematurely and has not demonstrated he's NHL quality currently. If the games he played is all he'll ever play again,does it warrant a nomination?:dunno:
The award has nothing to do with performance. It has everything to do with overcoming adversity off the ice that bleeds into their NHL career. This isn’t a trophy any player should ever want to be eligible for winning. His story is as compelling as anyones this year outside of maybe Hayes. I don’t think anyone can talk down his dedication and sportsmanship with how he handled trying to get back on the ice with so many obstacles.

Reactions: BLONG7

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's actually the problem......this trophy is not about the game on the ice.
It's more about what went on off the ice, it's more the human side of things, not about hockey itself

Byron had an injury. Nothing more. Price...well, mental program, injuries, set-backs etc..
The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey. It is named after Bill Masterton, the only player in NHL history to die as a direct result of injuries suffered during a game. The winner is selected by a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association after each team nominates one player in competition. It is often awarded to a player who has come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury.

Seems rather ambiguous when reviewing previous winners.

Reactions: Milhouse40

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The award has nothing to do with performance. It has everything to do with overcoming adversity off the ice that bleeds into their NHL career. This isn’t a trophy any player should ever want to be eligible for winning. His story is as compelling as anyones this year outside of maybe Hayes. I don’t think anyone can talk down his dedication and sportsmanship with how he handled trying to get back on the ice with so many obstacles.
Nor the Lady Byng imo.:laugh:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey. It is named after Bill Masterton, the only player in NHL history to die as a direct result of injuries suffered during a game. The winner is selected by a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association after each team nominates one player in competition. It is often awarded to a player who has come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury.

Seems rather ambiguous when reviewing previous winners.
Weird that Morenz isn't considered to have died as a direct result of an injury. I guess the key-word here is "direct", since he died of complications with his fracture, but imo the injury directly led to his death. Anyways, one way or the other, it's doesn't really matter.

Reactions: angusyoung

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I really don't see Chara winning it.

I personally hope Price does, but Hayes definitely seem to be the favorite at least within the fans.
I agree. I’m sure he’s probably happy just being apart of the award show one last time as a player at this point. They don’t count your Bill Masterton’s awards when you finish your career. Being acknowledged is the reward.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Weird that Morenz isn't considered to have died as a direct result of an injury. I guess the key-word here is "direct", since he died of complications with his fracture, but imo the injury directly led to his death. Anyways, one way or the other, it's doesn't really matter.
It is weird,if he had not broken his leg in a game,surely he would not have died in that manner.

Reactions: Toene

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
AFAIK it's just that he's old and still playing

The nominees are usually split between, came back from an injury, is just older and still playing well, and has been in the league for several years and finally had a break out year - Price has a few things going for him - the award has gone to guys admitting to substance abuse issues 2 out of the last 3 years and the huge number of votes coming from writers in Montreal and Canada in general would also be in his favour.

I was surprised Jack Eichel wasn't a finalist, he had artificial disk replacement surgery to treat a herniated disk - something he fought for... the team wanted him to have a different surgery. No NHL player has ever had an artificial disk replacement. His story is as much about perseverance as it is about players rights - I imagine in the players were voting on the same award and not hockey writers, he would be getting more recognition.

Vote distribution makes a huge difference - I would think close to half if not more of all hockey writers would be in Canadian chapters... Montreal would have 15 or so, Toronto would have close to two dozen or more, Vancouver close to 20. Places like Anaheim have 4, Dallas 3, Columbus 3, Nashville 3. Even the international chapter is made up of a lot of Canadians who don't want to be in a local chapter - Pierre Lebrun and Elliott Friedman are examples.

Reactions: Treb

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The nominees are usually split between, came back from an injury, is just older and still playing well, and has been in the league for several years and finally had a break out year - Price has a few things going for him - the award has gone to guys admitting to substance abuse issues 2 out of the last 3 years and the huge number of votes coming from writers in Montreal and Canada in general would also be in his favour.

I was surprised Jack Eichel wasn't a finalist, he had artificial disk replacement surgery to treat a herniated disk - something he fought for... the team wanted him to have a different surgery. No NHL player has ever had an artificial disk replacement. His story is as much about perseverance as it is about players rights - I imagine in the players were voting on the same award and not hockey writers, he would be getting more recognition.
Also a little surprised it wasn't Pastrnak instead of Chara as well. His newborn son passed away at 6 days old, just a heartbreaking story.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
Also a little surprised it wasn't Pastrnak instead of Chara as well. His newborn son passed away at 6 days old, just a heartbreaking story.
Actually Rask and Pastrnak had strong cases - Rask played last year with a torn laprum in his hip. Both he and Price had surgery over the summer - I gather Rask's was the more serious of the two because at the time Price was to come back for the start of the season and Rask was targeting January or February - neither hit their target, they both came back and played a handful of games - both did not look good, Rask retired. Price had the addition of the substance abuse problem... I think that put's him over the top. Similar circumstance with Ben Bishop - he rehabbed all year and played one AHL game near the end of the season after having off season surgery and he called it a career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad