Confirmed with Link: Carey Price is the Habs nominee for the Masterton Memorial Trophy. Update: Finalist!

Jul 6, 2016
Price is a nominee... He won't win it. 99,9999999 % sure.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Price is a nominee... He won't win it. 99,9999999 % sure.

You must be new to the Masterton.

2018–19Robin LehnerNew York IslandersAfter publicly revealing struggles with alcoholism and bipolar disorder in the offseason, had a career-low 2.13 goals against average in the regular season with the Islanders, which was the lowest total since the mid-1980s.
2019–20Bobby RyanOttawa SenatorsAfter publicly revealing struggles with alcoholism and post-traumatic stress disorder, in an effort to help others with addiction issues, he returned to the NHL, scoring a hat trick in his first home game back.[45]

Price definitely has a chance. I would actually be surprised if he's not finalist with Hayes (3rd one is open).

Reactions: ArtPeur

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The question really is.....who else could it be on the Habs?
I seriously don't see anyone else.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Don't think he has a chance because he has sucked.

I give it to the entire Sharks team for surviving locker room cancer Evander Kaneloma........

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Don't think he has a chance because he has sucked.

I give it to the entire Sharks team for surviving locker room cancer Evander Kaneloma........

This award has never been primarily about on-ice performance.

It's all about injuries and overcoming off-ice problems (with the occasional being old/career award thrown in).

Hayes and Price have a combo of both, so they are favorite to me.

After that, the biggest injury stuff is Tarasenko, Ladd, Raanta, Hischier, Kase and Backstrom.

Off-ice stuff would be Borowiecki and Morrissey.

Career award would be Chara or Johnson.

Price is not a lock to win it, but I'd say he definitely has a good chance.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not that I’d ever wish a mental health issue on anyone but would do a world of good for a few in this thread to spend let’s say a month, actually just make that a week, living with or with someone affected by it, attitudes would change pretty damn quick.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

2018–19Robin LehnerNew York IslandersAfter publicly revealing struggles with alcoholism and bipolar disorder in the offseason, had a career-low 2.13 goals against average in the regular season with the Islanders, which was the lowest total since the mid-1980s.
2019–20Bobby RyanOttawa SenatorsAfter publicly revealing struggles with alcoholism and post-traumatic stress disorder, in an effort to help others with addiction issues, he returned to the NHL, scoring a hat trick in his first home game back.[45]

Price definitely has a chance. I would actually be surprised if he's not finalist with Hayes (3rd one is open).
I think it will be Price, Hayes and Tarasenko. All are worthy.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Paul Byron? he came back and contributed. Price came back but perhaps prematurely and has not demonstrated he's NHL quality currently. If the games he played is all he'll ever play again,does it warrant a nomination?:dunno:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don’t think coming back and playing 3-4 games should get you nominated for anything. I don’t question Price’s heart though, addiction, mental illness and lingering injuries are all exhausting. Add in a pandemic etc and I think Price is absolutely our best nominee. I just don’t think his contributions were meaningful enough to win an award, but I’m proud that he kept fighting through it all and gave it his best. I think he’s done, but not for a lack of effort. Carrying this team for over a decade would wear any man down.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Eddy started off the year injured then his dad died. He still came back to a last place team and has played pretty well. He would probably get the nod if it weren't for Carey.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Wow. New depths. Maybe because he was salt and the earth and no one knew what he was going through and perhaps the org just felt, hey, lets do something for this exceptional guy?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Don’t think coming back and playing 3-4 games should get you nominated for anything. I don’t question Price’s heart though, addiction, mental illness and lingering injuries are all exhausting. Add in a pandemic etc and I think Price is absolutely our best nominee. I just don’t think his contributions were meaningful enough to win an award, but I’m proud that he kept fighting through it all and gave it his best. I think he’s done, but not for a lack of effort. Carrying this team for over a decade would wear any man down.

Ryan won by playing 24 games and getting 8 points.

Moore won with 73 games 18 points.

Harding playing 5 games (3.24 0.863) and 5 PO games (2.94 0.911)

Laperriere won by playing 0 game.

Yzerman played 16 games 8 points.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Paul Byron? he came back and contributed. Price came back but perhaps prematurely and has not demonstrated he's NHL quality currently. If the games he played is all he'll ever play again,does it warrant a nomination?:dunno:

That's actually the problem......this trophy is not about the game on the ice.
It's more about what went on off the ice, it's more the human side of things, not about hockey itself

Byron had an injury. Nothing more. Price...well, mental program, injuries, set-backs etc..

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Eddy started off the year injured then his dad died. He still came back to a last place team and has played pretty well. He would probably get the nod if it weren't for Carey.

Probably the 2nd in line for sure.
But do you want to win a trophy because your dad died?
Happens to a lot players, it's not something out of the ordinary.

Price got the nomination because he admitted his problems publicly and seek help to try to fix it. Went trhough an injuries with multiple set-backs and still got to play this year. Playing well or not has absolutely 0 to do with it.

This trophy is about perseverance and dedications....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is an off ice award. You don’t have to play any games to win. It’s about perseverance, leadership, overcoming obstacles…

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ryan won by playing 24 games and getting 8 points.

Moore won with 73 games 18 points.

Harding playing 5 games (3.24 0.863) and 5 PO games (2.94 0.911)

Laperriere won by playing 0 game.

Yzerman played 16 games 8 points.
Where is the 4 games and getting reinjured and unable to finish the season option? I don’t see one. The award is silly imo, but whatever. Congrats to Price for fighting through it, he doesn’t deserve a trophy for it.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017

Those two players returned and did something. Price is playing for 0.853.

I'd give it to Duclair personally.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
It's hard for me to keep composure with some of the worst take i've read here.

So, I'll just say this; Deserved nomination for Price for battling through addiction and a potential career ending injury and still pushing his body and mind through it to attempt a come back.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Those two players returned and did something. Price is playing for 0.853.

I'd give it to Duclair personally.

Ryan had 8 points in 24 games....

Duclair is a bottom-10 choice for this award. He's more relevant to the King Clancy than the Masterton.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
This award has never been primarily about on-ice performance.

It's all about injuries and overcoming off-ice problems (with the occasional being old/career award thrown in).

Hayes and Price have a combo of both, so they are favorite to me.

After that, the biggest injury stuff is Tarasenko, Ladd, Raanta, Hischier, Kase and Backstrom.

Off-ice stuff would be Borowiecki and Morrissey.

Career award would be Chara or Johnson.

Price is not a lock to win it, but I'd say he definitely has a good chance.

Brian Boyle is my dark horse. He didn't play last season (I didn't check if he gave a reason). Then he was invited to a pro tryout in Pittsburgh and played the whole season. He doesn't play a big role on the ice but considering his health, the fact that he missed a whole year and that he was still willing to play one more season feels like perseverance. But the reason he may not win it this year is probably because he already won it 4 years ago.

Duclair would be my 2nd, mostly because of this quote "Off the ice, Duclair is one of the founding members of the Hockey Diversity Alliance and has headed up the Panthers’ team initiatives including wrapping their sticks in special tape which reads ‘Racism Has No Place in Hockey’ as well as wearing anti-racism t-shirts to games."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad