Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Which colleges have the best Sports Management/Adminstration programs?

I want to be a scout and eventually work my way up in a organization of a team to a GM position.

LUSPAD

Dec 1, 2011
Business degree in Sport Management

Just wanted to let everyone that we have a program at Laurentian University that provides a BComm in Sport Administration (the only one that does this in Canada). Good route into sport mgmt.
If you are interested in the SPAD program here at LU PM me.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
So, I changed my expectations. I realize that theres close to 0% chance of getting anywhere working into a front office of a NHL team. I'm now focused on either non hockey careers, or a career in Marketing for the NHL, or a team since I feel I bring alot of good ideas.

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
I have an interesting situation I could use some advice on. I want to work in hockey, eventually on the media relations side, but I have applied to many ticket sales jobs (probably couldn't even count how many at this point), and even entry-level media relations job (like assistant level) and have just never gotten in the door.

I first decided I want to work in sports in my senior year of college, and I admit, I was really ignorant about the business and didn't know that you had to do so many internships to even get your resume in the door and get an interview. I went to a job fair sponsored by the local AHL team in March, and one of the representatives of a (non-hockey) team in attendance told me I should get an internship and that's all they'd have available. I've been out of school for three years, so working for free or for pennies isn't really a viable option to me anymore (student loans and all...).

I do have a full-time job, too, so I would probably not find time to intern anyway. Also, someone that works for the team that held the job fair told me their internships are only offered to college students looking for credit.

So I do have customer service/retail sales experience, but that still hasn't been enough to get me in the door even in a ticket sales job. I have applied to teams all over the country, even so far as California, so I'm not limiting myself. I just can't get calls back. I applied for a couple jobs through Teamwork Online that had me answer some additional questions over e-mail. However, after that, I don't make it to the interview phase. So it seems like my resume has had some reception, but I still can't make the cut.

I am doing some hockey writing right now, but I'm kind of weary of revealing too much about myself in this post (I can answer more questions through private message if need be), so I don't want to give away where I write or work directly in case someone from the sites I work for sees this and I'm in hot water for revealing that I'm looking for greener pastures....

Like I said, I'll admit I wasn't educated on what it took to break into the business, and it's my own fault really. Is it best for me to just give up on the whole thing and move on, or do I still have a chance? I want to think I still have a shot, but being that I can't intern anymore and that teams don't seem to be interested in what I'm offering, I'm wondering if it's worth it to give my search another shot.

Also, if anyone has ever used Teamwork Online and can tell me if there's any way to follow up on my applications after that, I'd appreciate it. I've tried contacting one (non-hockey) team official and introducing myself, not in response to a specific posting, but just to say that I'm interested in working for the team, and they just pointed me to Teamwork. It was a little frustrating to say the least.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
I have an interesting situation I could use some advice on. I want to work in hockey, eventually on the media relations side, but I have applied to many ticket sales jobs (probably couldn't even count how many at this point), and even entry-level media relations job (like assistant level) and have just never gotten in the door.

I first decided I want to work in sports in my senior year of college, and I admit, I was really ignorant about the business and didn't know that you had to do so many internships to even get your resume in the door and get an interview. I went to a job fair sponsored by the local AHL team in March, and one of the representatives of a (non-hockey) team in attendance told me I should get an internship and that's all they'd have available. I've been out of school for three years, so working for free or for pennies isn't really a viable option to me anymore (student loans and all...).

I do have a full-time job, too, so I would probably not find time to intern anyway. Also, someone that works for the team that held the job fair told me their internships are only offered to college students looking for credit.

So I do have customer service/retail sales experience, but that still hasn't been enough to get me in the door even in a ticket sales job. I have applied to teams all over the country, even so far as California, so I'm not limiting myself. I just can't get calls back. I applied for a couple jobs through Teamwork Online that had me answer some additional questions over e-mail. However, after that, I don't make it to the interview phase. So it seems like my resume has had some reception, but I still can't make the cut.

I am doing some hockey writing right now, but I'm kind of weary of revealing too much about myself in this post (I can answer more questions through private message if need be), so I don't want to give away where I write or work directly in case someone from the sites I work for sees this and I'm in hot water for revealing that I'm looking for greener pastures....

Like I said, I'll admit I wasn't educated on what it took to break into the business, and it's my own fault really. Is it best for me to just give up on the whole thing and move on, or do I still have a chance? I want to think I still have a shot, but being that I can't intern anymore and that teams don't seem to be interested in what I'm offering, I'm wondering if it's worth it to give my search another shot.

Also, if anyone has ever used Teamwork Online and can tell me if there's any way to follow up on my applications after that, I'd appreciate it. I've tried contacting one (non-hockey) team official and introducing myself, not in response to a specific posting, but just to say that I'm interested in working for the team, and they just pointed me to Teamwork. It was a little frustrating to say the least.

This honestly sounds like me in a few years.

You need to keep on it. If you don't even have the time for even an internship, most teams/events will take on volunteers for miscellaneous things. Everything revolves around networking. Everything is a time commitment. It sucks, but that's reality. It's smart to stick with the writing. When you have something tangible to present to an employer, it can only benefit you.

As far as following up, what I usually do is I'll submit my materials through TeamWork, but then I'll contact an HR person a week or so later. Most teams have their staff posted. If you can get a name, some googling will usually get you an email address.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Here's Brian Burke's take on it: http://www.mlse.com/win_with_us/burke_011612.aspx

First and foremost, I advise anyone attempting to get into this field to be prepared to fail. The number of young people who seek to enter the field of professional sports is vast. However, the number of applicants who successfully find employment in the area of sports is tiny. Therefore, I hereby tender to you the best advice you will get. Assume you will fail, and make sure you have developed expertise in another area or areas. You must be equipped to be successful in another profession in the event you are unsuccessful in finding employment in the area of sports.

So how does a young person get started in this field? First of all, a prospective employee must decide whether he or she wants to work on the "talent" (player personnel) side or the business side. Either way, you must realize that opportunities are limited. There are only thirty (30) NHL clubs, and people fight like wounded tigers to keep their jobs.

On the talent side, there are a limited number of avenues open to you.

mizzoublues29

Unregistered User
Apr 10, 2009
Columbia, MO
I've got some advice for anybody looking to work in sports...

I'm currently a senior Sport Management major at the University of Missouri, and my goal is to work in the NHL (like the majority of you, I assume).

Over winter break, I landed a summer internship with a professional baseball team in the midwest (PM me if you're really interested to know what team). Even though it's a low-level league, it's a stepping stone for professional sports.

I have been told by this organization that nearly every other professional league LOVES to hire from low-level baseball, because of the long hours and hard work required. For example, if our team has a 6 game homestand, I'll work from 8 or 9 am until 11 pm, for 6 days in a row. If you're serious about making professional sports your career, be prepared to bust your ass for little or no money, just to get your foot in the door. It's not a cakewalk, and it's not glamorous.

This organization had an intern, in my same position, 2 summers ago that is currently working for the Nashville Predators.

No matter the sport, the skills you learn and the overall operations of the organization are transferable and applicable to any other sport.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
If you want to work in the world of sports it has to be your life and nothing else.

I got my major in Sports Management in 2004 and just last year got my first job in the NHL.
I spent the previous years working any and all jobs in hockey I could find. Traveling from city to city taking whatever I could get. I would send my resume to teams a few times a year every year. I went to Canada where I am not from because there where lots more opportunities. The last few years I thankfully found a full time job in the sport that allowed me to stay in one area. Then this year I finally got an NHL job. For which I had to move again across the continent, back into another country and to an area I never lived before and generally don't like.

What do I do, I am a glorified secretary for the scouting department, taking notes, videos and reports and putting them into easy to read reports and packets for the coaches and GM staff. I don't scout anything myself, what do I know, I don't interact with the players and coaches, I don't get awesome perks like a box to watch the games in or anything else. I sit on front of a computer and type generally, I work 60 hours + a week, get paid next to nothing. My job can be ended at any time and by any change anywhere, a new coach, GM, or owner comes in and I am gone if they want their own people and my shinny new NHL job is gone. The CBA ends Sep. 15, most people are worried about not having hockey to watch I am worried about not having a job.

Simply but to work in sports your either need to know someone or. Are willing to dedicate your life to doing this forgoing so many things because this is what you want. You are willing to move anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat to get it. Your willing to work crazy hours, for no pay, no recognition and almost no chance for any type of promotion doing menial work. If you are willing to do all that then you could work in sports, remember to also never give up. It took me 7+ years with a masters degree. It might take you longer but don't give up and keep all options open and a willingness to do anything for anyone.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2012/02/behind-moves-nhl-gms-tell-how-winners.html

Book review of Behind The Moves: NHL General Managers Tell How Winners Are Built by Jason Farris.

(Only available at author's website for $100 or $140 US/C)

Farris first introduces us to the GM community. With the mind of a team owner he looks at how GMs are evaluated and hired. He also offers a dictionary of GM lingo and their unwritten rules.

He moves on to look at the modern GM, specifically looking at how the job has changed over the years in the expansion era. Readers definitely get a better understanding of the business and legal side of their job.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the book is when Farris looks at the challenges of a being a GM. Through countless quotes from hockey's greatest general managers, we get incredible insight as to what GMs have to deal with. That includes dealing with owners, coaches, players, agents and media; trades, free agents and drafts; managing the salary cap; building team chemistry; and achieving success in the playoffs. There are some lighter moments included here, as GMs show it is not just the players who are capable of a little hijinx and tomfoolery.

(Also includes link to Brian Burke's review of book)

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
For all of the Sport Management students in here there is hope for jobs. Don't give up! I just got my big break. Accepted an internship with an NHL team for the summer and hopefully I'll turn it into a job somewhere within the organization. Beyond excited for it :yo:

TheHockeyAdvisor*

Someone posted this http://www.mlse.com/win_with_us/burke_011612.aspx ..It's a good read. I think Burke sums it up nicely.

But fails to mentioned how he began - NCAA playing experience, made some decent connections (look who he played for & with), got an excellent education, became a sports agent, moved into hockey op's.

MOD

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
I am thinking that it is perhaps time to give up on my dream of getting into the hockey business, as the more time that goes by, the more unrealistic it seems.

I've been writing for free for over two years now, which has amounted to a few hundred articles on two sites. In this time...and I hate to toot my own horn, but it helps give background...I have received many compliments about my work. People tell me that I'm outstanding and the NHL could use talent like me. I've been told I'm good at what I do; I've had people in the business offer me references after they've worked for me. I know someone working with a team who has told me he wants to help me without me ever demanding it or asking it of him. And yet...none of this helps. Even knowing someone isn't the meal ticket everyone believes it to be.

I've been turned down from media jobs (just got a rejection from a team yesterday for what would've been a perfect job for me, and that was with a recommendation), ticket sales jobs, game-night promotions and so forth. Believe me, when you don't even get hired to sell tickets or handle customer service, you really begin to think there is something wrong with you.

I've been trying this for three years now, and all of the passion I've had for writing has been sucked out of me. I still enjoy watching hockey, but some days I wonder if I'm better off just being a fan of the game and getting a more practical job on the side.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
I have been writing for different hockey sites for the past few years (for free) and I have no hope of being hired by an NHL team after reading what you guys posted. Luckily for me, I am a freelance translator who works from home and make a fairly good salary already, so I can live with the fact that my writing does not pay much, but there is not a lot of people in my situation.

When I look at the people some NHL teams and sports channels/magazines employ, I wonder how they chose them as they don't select because of their hockey knowledge!

Good luck to everyone trying to pursue a career in hockey!

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Hey guys!

I'll start off by saying my grandpa coached Jr A in the Ottawa area for a long time and I eventually told him I wanted to follow the family footsteps. Having a huge network and ties with other coaches and that sort of stuff, he gave me some numbers and some people to talk too.

Eventually I emailed a Junior B team and they hired me on the spot. Next year I will be the statistics coach! I emailed him and told him I would do anything to help just to learn the operations of how to run a hockey team. So next year as well as coaching, I'm scouting, helping run practices, and doing other things.

It's a start but I couldn't be happier and am so looking forward to August. Keep in mind I'm only 18 and going to university. I really want to pursue coaching/scouting and I'm in the right direction.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Has anyone heard of or been to one of these Sports Management Worldwide career conferences?

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/conferences/nhl-draft-sports-career-conference

I'm thinking of heading down from Toronto, but would cost me around $500 once this is all said and done and not sure what my return on investment would be. Any experience with one of these conferences would be helpful!

I went to the one in Minnesota last year. It's a learning experience, you get to sit in a big conference room and listen to Brian Burke and other people talk. There is no return on the investment though. You will be interacting with other people in the same boat as you. Dreaming of working in hockey, but no real connections. No one gets a job out of going to a conference like that.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Has anyone had a good experience with those Sports Management Worldwide courses?

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/

I took the scouting and GM course.

I learned a few things, the most valuable was probably getting to use the rinknet software.

I keep seeing that AD in The Hockey News. They get people's hopes up that they can actually have a job in the NHL. Oh well...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Do you really want to make your love into your job?

I got a university degree in whatever the hell I liked (Philosophy it turned out), am teaching 18 hours a week at an afternoon English language academy in South Korea (so many ESL jobs available for any uni grad), save a thousand or two each month, and PLAY act as a GM in sim leagues, in addition to watching wahtever games I want live on a big screen t.v. hooked up to my computer. I sleep well every night, have no stress over trying to get into the industry, have my hockey passion fully satisfied.

My passion is indeed hockey and I dedicate 25-35 hours a week to it FOR PURE PLEASURE.

Some of you who are looking at CAREERS in hockey might want to consider whether it might be better suited as an all-consuming HOBBY.

Something to think about. G'day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad