Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any insight in doing analytics professionally. I see a lot of blogs, sites, etc with really good stuff but how prevalent is stats analytics in NHL organizations? Right now, I'm in Systems Engineering and have done some academic work in the area and I have no problem carving my own niche if one doesn't exist. I also plan on attending the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference which will feature Brian Burke as a speaker. What would be some good knowledge to go there with given I intend on asking him about career opportunities around the NHL?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any insight in doing analytics professionally. I see a lot of blogs, sites, etc with really good stuff but how prevalent is stats analytics in NHL organizations? Right now, I'm in Systems Engineering and have done some academic work in the area and I have no problem carving my own niche if one doesn't exist. I also plan on attending the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference which will feature Brian Burke as a speaker. What would be some good knowledge to go there with given I intend on asking him about career opportunities around the NHL?

How are you with CORSI numbers? Or do you have your own equation for player performance?

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
How are you with CORSI numbers? Or do you have your own equation for player performance?

I developed an algorithm to group players into clusters based on rather basic data (defintie room for improvement). The first thing I did was develop cluster values by regressing team builds (number of players in each cluster) agaist team points and seeing how much each one contributed. I also compare to cap hit to get some insights (over paid secondary scoring, etc). My next step is to develop an empiracal Markov chain to predict how a player changes cluster over time to see when to buy or sell are certain player.

So it's not the traditional advanced stats but more soft-analysis on a higher level but I am trying to get this published and am waiting to hear back from a journal. I am still well versed in CORSI and GVT and what not and am thinking of incorporating those numbers into my algorithm.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Guys, I'm 13 and I wanna be a GM of an NHL team one day. I'm very interested in the revenues, ticket sales, tv contracts, player movement, and taking charge of a team. Advice on what colleges, programs, etc. To look into are very appreciated. Ik it's kinda early to start looking ahead, but I'm really serious about this. Ive been talking to my guidance counselor (JR High, 7th grade) and he dosent help too much. :/ I'm an average- above average student that communicates well with other people. We are a middle class family living in southern new England, and don't have enough money to go to an IVY league school, etc. I kinda want to go ton BU, but I heard it's pretty hard to get into. Being a player isn't an option due to size, mixed in with mediocre skating abilities. I have around 3,000 saved in the bank for college, and ik it's not enough for a 4 year degree. I'm going to have to try really really hard in high school. advice will be great guys thanks for reading this lol. If I keep on saving u never know though :nod:

Reactions: TSN Jdog

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
BK - you might want to write to the GM of every pro hockey team in Massachusetts (NHL, AHL) -- a letter -- with an introduction and request for information or ask how they get into the business.

Heck, you might even write to the GM/AD of every NCAA school with a hockey program for the same information.

At worst, you might get ignored. But you might get some information on what to do. At best, you might even get an intern application, or even some hints on scholarships. (Most pro teams that I know with intern programs limit them to college students. But you might be able to do some kind of summer program after you're 16.)

As for getting into college/paying for it, there are a lot of lesser known scholarships and grants. Good grades help. (And you can never go wrong with having good grammar and passionate communication skills.) I know that the Sharks, as part of the larger region, sponsor scholarships for high school students (it's actually one student per major league team in the region; two MLB, two NFL, NBA, NHL; can't recall if MLS also participates).

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
BK - you might want to write to the GM of every pro hockey team in Massachusetts (NHL, AHL) -- a letter -- with an introduction and request for information or ask how they get into the business.

Heck, you might even write to the GM/AD of every NCAA school with a hockey program for the same information.

At worst, you might get ignored. But you might get some information on what to do. At best, you might even get an intern application, or even some hints on scholarships. (Most pro teams that I know with intern programs limit them to college students. But you might be able to do some kind of summer program after you're 16.)

As for getting into college/paying for it, there are a lot of lesser known scholarships and grants. Good grades help. (And you can never go wrong with having good grammar and passionate communication skills.) I know that the Sharks, as part of the larger region, sponsor scholarships for high school students (it's actually one student per major league team in the region; two MLB, two NFL, NBA, NHL; can't recall if MLS also participates).

We got the Bruins, Worcester (your affiliate), Springfield, Lowell, P-Bruins (Providence,RI 5 min away).

I got chocies. Wish trade high schools offered sports management courses.

LangwaysMullet

Apr 27, 2010
baltimore
Guys, I'm 13 and I wanna be a GM of an NHL team one day. I'm very interested in the revenues, ticket sales, tv contracts, player movement, and taking charge of a team. Advice on what colleges, programs, etc. To look into are very appreciated.
I coach with a few ex-nhl players, explored this subject many times. Best advice I can give for someone with no contacts or player experience is to go down a prelaw path for your undergrad culminating with a post grad law degree OR, a business/management path for undergrad with an MBA or MSLM (master of science in logistics management) post grad degree. None of these guarantee you entry into the NHL business, but you're looking for a core educational foundation in operations management, the ability to successfully execute a business strategy, and those paths are a good start. Just my take from picking the minds of folks who have skated at a pro level and had or currently have some involvement with the clubs they've retired from.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

I also realized Stan Bowman will be there too. Any tips on what to say, how to approach them etc? For example: should I offer condolences to Burke for his son? And how should I discuss my work/passion with these guys?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://feeds.voices.washingtonpost.com/click.phdo?i=973eca1459505985bbf8bfba35b725ee

Washington Capitals General Manager George McPhee is scheduled to be part of a special panel at the Sports Industry Networking and Career (SINC) conference March 4-5 at George Washington University. McPhee, who is in his 13th season as Washington's general manager, will join D.C. United President Kevin Payne on a panel entitled "The Two Sides of the House -- Player Development and Business" that will outline the day-to-day responsibilities of a sports executive. McPhee also will discuss his career path and how to get started in the industry.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Always wanted to be a Sports Agent.

I was wondering if you need a law-degree to become an NHL agent. Is it a necessity?

Kevo18

Jan 11, 2011
Getting into the Hockey business

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyway.

It has always been a dream of mine to get into hockey, but sadly as a kid, my skill didnt bring me much farther than rec leagues and the fourth line of my college's club hockey team. most people i've talked to about the hockey "biz" say that its a very in the system thing, meaning that players are the ones who usually become coaches and scouts and hold managment positions, which for a decent part is true. How would someone who was not a player such as myself beging working their way into the hockey business? How would one work their way to becoming a scout? or even a coach or GM for that matter? Who are some current people in the hockey world who have no prior NHL experience?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyway.

It has always been a dream of mine to get into hockey, but sadly as a kid, my skill didnt bring me much farther than rec leagues and the fourth line of my college's club hockey team. most people i've talked to about the hockey "biz" say that its a very in the system thing, meaning that players are the ones who usually become coaches and scouts and hold managment positions, which for a decent part is true. How would someone who was not a player such as myself beging working their way into the hockey business? How would one work their way to becoming a scout? or even a coach or GM for that matter? Who are some current people in the hockey world who have no prior NHL experience?

You simply have to check the bios of NHL staff and you will see dozens and dozens.
You can do the same with various scouting services, CHL clubs, agencies etc. etc.
NHL experience is not required for most jobs.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Interesting thread. My dream job would be to become a GM (at any level), but that doesn't seem to likely given my degrees [will be] in journalism and psychology.

That said—and I hope this isn't off topic—but where would be the best place to break into hockey on the writing side of things? The Fourth Period? Hockey's Future itself?

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts, especially those who are hockey writers. Or maybe I should just take the Sports Management World Wide class and take my chances? :baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad