Career thread!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Am I in the wrong career thread? haha

I didn't realize there was more than one. Can a mod put this in the one that we normally use?

Edit: I thought this was the career thread on the Rangers board, sorry!

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
So I admit I might sound like a whiny millennial here. Apparently, the CEO has complained about a number of people including me being on social media at work.

Here's my problem:

1) I feel like he's spying on his employees

2) He just generally comes off as an ******* to me, calling people out (albeit not by name) that are on performance improvement during town hall meetings.

3) 1 + 2 makes sours me on the company though I generally really like my coworkers.

4) I'm pretty sure this is common at most, if not all companies.

5) I get my work done and I'm usually busy though lately, I've had downtime. His assumption that people that are on social media sites don't have work is false.

6) It just comes off as petty, we're not robots sometimes to optimize the effectiveness of employees a break is necessary. Doesn't mean you have to spend half the day on personal sites, but if you take a quick break is it that big of a deal? I think breaks generally improve productivity.

7) I'm already paid like at best an entry-level employee despite 7 or 8 years of work experience and an MBA from a good school.
Most companies should be open to employees surfing frivolous sites such as Reddit or ESPN on their free time. Heck some people just discord all day during work instead of doing work. @Hammettf2b I'm fine with but others...get back to work baby boi

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Most companies should be open to employees surfing frivolous sites such as Reddit or ESPN on their free time. Heck some people just discord all day during work instead of doing work. @Hammettf2b I'm fine with but others...get back to work baby boi

I knew I'd get sarcastic responses but I don't surf frivolous sites all day by a long shot. I take a break here and there and often do it when my excel is calculating. and thus have nothing to do at the moment. Frankly, as far as I know most people surf these frivolous sites at work and talk to people at work. I know some industries are more strict but when I'm making $200k at a Wall Street bank I'll gladly forego all frivolous sites. When I'm making 45k a year with an MBA from a top 20 school where 3 years ago the average salary after graduation was $115k, I will say micromanaging and spying on me is uncalled for.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I know some industries are more strict but when I'm making $200k at a Wall Street bank I'll gladly forego all frivolous sites. When I'm making 45k a year with an MBA from a top 20 school where 3 years ago the average salary after graduation was $115k, I will say micromanaging and spying on me is uncalled for.
Whatever the market - and the boss - will bear.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I am gay.
Howdy partner! ;)

My Japanese husband and I run a gay-friendly vegan ice cream parlor named Soy Boys. We have terrible Yelp reviews lol :(. I think some folks around her don't want a local business owned by guys like us. Thank goodness he inherited millions his rich pop pop, so we can keep the dream alive!

Reactions: Ho Kogan

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I work on flight training devices for airline pilots.

We get to do a little bit of everything, so it's definitely more interesting than a desk job, even if that means some days are busy and messy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad