OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My union is fighting for a 100% raise.

That's not a typo, they wanna double our salary.

Personally, I don't think we're getting anywhere near that, but I'd be happy as a pig in **** if I got half of that.

Good luck, hope you get as much as you can!

I got a 20% bump for 2019, which was part merit-based and part market correction. Our firm lost a few associates this year due to comp and had difficulty hiring replacements. Management did respond by raising associate salaries across the board, which is a step in the right direction. I still suspect I'm slightly underpaid for the revenue I'm generating, but the firm offers rare excellent work-life balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So, since this is public I'll try to keep it high level. As you guys know I haven't had much luck in the job search process, well today I got an offer today for a job. So high level:

Pros:

It sounds like an interesting job in an interesting field
It sounds like it might be transferable to other companies
It's a growing company, so possible growth opportunities
It's in the NY area

Cons:

It's entry level, albeit it sounds like there would be good responsibilities
It doesn't pay well and I have student loans, plus I'm 32
It's in NJ, it's very close to where I live but I'll have to pay twice the money for travel (PATH + MTA)
I heard that the benefits aren't the best
Opportunity cost: my friend keeps swearing up and down that his team will grow and THAT role seems like it would be higher paying and more senior. He said he'll speak to his boss about it today.

If I think of anything else I'll mention it. I've been out of work for a while now, I probably can't afford to turn it down? And as I said it does sound interesting and keeps me in NY.

Take the job, man.

When you decide to move on, you’ll be more confident. You’ll feel good about having a job, less pressured on interviews, and won’t see every application as a make or break moment. It’ll help you relax a lot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Take the job, man.

When you decide to move on, you’ll be more confident. You’ll feel good about having a job, less pressured on interviews, and won’t see every application as a make or break moment. It’ll help you relax a lot.

Thanks, yeah I decided to take the job. Who knows, maybe this will help my career. It is somewhat of a financial role and maybe it could get into finance which I've flirted with quite a bit in my career and at some point I'll have my pick of banks, making my job search easier.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Thanks, yeah I decided to take the job. Who knows, maybe this will help my career. It is somewhat of a financial role and maybe it could get into finance which I've flirted with quite a bit in my career and at some point I'll have my pick of banks, making my job search easier.

You can ask for the benefits break down and related cost before accepting.

I know this isnt the post where you said as a con it sounds like they dont have good benefits but I'm too lazy to go back and quote it.

Reactions: egelband

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
My union is fighting for a 100% raise.

That's not a typo, they wanna double our salary.

Personally, I don't think we're getting anywhere near that, but I'd be happy as a pig in **** if I got half of that.
I would be happy if you got this too.

I don't have unions here but the upper management does take care of us well enough. If you start at 100% you still might get something reasonable still. And then they can pay you amtrak ticket to visit me. Still waiting

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I accepted the job offer at the company but yesterday got an email about another job interview. The other job is at a network and seems pretty interesting but also junior. I figure if I don't get a significant pay bump I won't go with them. That said, one negative I see about them on glassdoor is that they don't promote well, which is the opposite of this company. Though I'm jumping the gun a little bit. Also, either it's the same HR lady as the one that gave me a job 8+ years ago or just coincidentally has the same name. So that's interesting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good luck, hope you get as much as you can!

I got a 20% bump for 2019, which was part merit-based and part market correction. Our firm lost a few associates this year due to comp and had difficulty hiring replacements. Management did respond by raising associate salaries across the board, which is a step in the right direction. I still suspect I'm slightly underpaid for the revenue I'm generating, but the firm offers rare excellent work-life balance.

The good thing for me is, I'm technically a state worker, so if Cuomo puts it in the budget, I get a raise.

I think it's a little better position than having to ask the CEO to cut into his own profits for a raise.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Always remember to take sites like Glassdoor with a grain of salt. You get a lot more grumpy employees and former employees posting there than happy employees.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Sometimes people complaining about how difficult it is to get promoted are just disgruntled.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Sometimes people complaining about how difficult it is to get promoted are just disgruntled.

In my professional experience the people who complain the most about not being able to get promoted are the people who deserve to get promoted the least. An over-inflated opinion of yourself generally doesn't lead to success in the workplace. Not always the case, but you see it all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. In most companies, talent gets recognized. There may be bad managers who individually are poor at staff management but that's what internal transfers are for.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I did an 8 month internship at a start-up company as a student, finished undergrad and got hired immediately after graduation. I genuinely love my job and coworkers, but I've been applying to places over the past few months that are more in line with my financial/career aspirations. The team manager who trained me left the company in August, so a lot of responsibility has fallen on my shoulders and I feel leaving on such a notice would hurt the company. At the same time, I had been promised an expanded role for other projects during my 2nd stint here which has not come to fruition - always being pushed off as later/after September/after Halloween/after Christmas now, etc.

What is the best way to leave without burning bridges?

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
At the end of the day, you have to look out for yourself. When you find a new job, you'll put in your two weeks, do your best to leave things in a neat and documented state, and move on. If that's burning bridges, it's not a place you really want a bridge to, and then they should have been paying you more and doing something to mitigate the business risk of you leaving.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I did an 8 month internship at a start-up company as a student, finished undergrad and got hired immediately after graduation. I genuinely love my job and coworkers, but I've been applying to places over the past few months that are more in line with my financial/career aspirations. The team manager who trained me left the company in August, so a lot of responsibility has fallen on my shoulders and I feel leaving on such a notice would hurt the company. At the same time, I had been promised an expanded role for other projects during my 2nd stint here which has not come to fruition - always being pushed off as later/after September/after Halloween/after Christmas now, etc.

Fake your death.

If you get a new job, you notify right away. You finish your time professionally and tell them you made a move that you feel is the best for your career.

If you give proper notice and finish your time professionally and they give you a lot of shit, then f*** them.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
So I accepted the job offer at the company but yesterday got an email about another job interview. The other job is at a network and seems pretty interesting but also junior. I figure if I don't get a significant pay bump I won't go with them. That said, one negative I see about them on glassdoor is that they don't promote well, which is the opposite of this company. Though I'm jumping the gun a little bit. Also, either it's the same HR lady as the one that gave me a job 8+ years ago or just coincidentally has the same name. So that's interesting.
So what's the word? You're sticking with the job that you accepted or rolling the dice?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
But you're still holding onto the other offer, right?

Of course, why wouldn't I? If I get this role, I'll just leave the one I have now. I wouldn't look forward to that conversation with my boss but it's better than not taking the offer hoping that I'd get one from the other company.

Reactions: will1066

darko

Feb 16, 2009

As long as you give them whatever notice they require. Even then sometimes it'll turn nasty but that's out of your control.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This might be crap advice, but, here goes. You may seriously have to consider relocation to a smaller market for the time being.

That's what I did back in 1998 when I moved to Charlotte. I left working with the NJ Parole Board and didn't have a lot of other experience. Moved to a smaller/growing market and got into IT. Was really a numbers game at that time. Unfortunately, when I wanted something a little bit better, I was shut out of the Charlotte market, and had to move to Raleigh. Then had to move back to Charlotte in 2006 when that job ended. Now, I feel I've "outgrown" the market again. Tons of jobs here that I'm tremendously overqualified for, the jobs I am qualified for are for ridiculously low salaries, and precious few that I could get with what should be my salary range (based on my current company's salary charts.)

This IS NOT crap advice. A lot of New Yorkers need to hear this unless they already have equity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad