GDT: Care Oh Lyin A Her ick aynes verses Deet Roy t

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Either Svech needs to be with Aho and Necas or an acquisition needs to happen. Svech is pressing and not generating much of anything 5v5. We could try calling up an offensive prospect instead of always playing 4th liners but, that prospect will be treated worse than a 4th liner so, nevermind.
We are tied for 2nd worst in 5v5 scoring in March with 10 goals, 1 more than the 4 tied for last. Luckily the team defense/ goalies have been good or the other teams’ shooters have sucked because we are 5 goals better than expected in goals against.
That is while playing an easier schedule

Columbus doesn’t take a lot of penalties either. So our vaunted PP will not get much opportunity to score. Columbus is averaging 4.5 minutes of PK time per game in March. We are averaging 6.5 minutes per game. Columbus has given up one more goal on the PK in less time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree that we need to give up any significant assets to get help.

This team, when healthy, is absolutely loaded. Get healthy.

Give away a 3rd for a rental? Maybe. More than that is too much. Again: the goal isn't the President's Trophy, it's the Other One.

I'm leaning the other way. With how young this team is, the prospects in the system, that large # of picks they've had the past couple of years, they have the resources to give up something more significant to upgrade the team. I also think the team is good enough to potentially compete for the cup and I'd welcome a Doug Weight or Mark Recchi type acquisition. Of course, it has to be the right player that would fit into the Canes group relatively seamlessly as to not hurt chemistry, which can be tricky, but if that player exists and is available, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't give up Jarvis or Bean to do that, but I'd be open to one of (or a combination of depending on the combination and player acquired) a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick, Suzuki, Bokk, Drury, Gunler, etc... for the right player. I also wouldn't be upset if they go the route you suggest either.

Having Tro and Turbo back will be big, but I can't count on other injuries occurring.

If he didn't have another year on his deal, I think a guy like Dustin Brown would be a good add. Granted, I'm more stats watching here so don't know how his game is, but he's still scoring goals and plays with some physicality and I think Brindy would love him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As long as we aren’t dumping assets for mediocre deals on a regular basis (like the Vatanen deal), the team will be able to maintain competitive levels. We should be able to find a good deal to make us better.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As long as we aren’t dumping assets for mediocre deals on a regular basis (like the Vatanen deal), the team will be able to maintain competitive levels. We should be able to find a good deal to make us better.

Agree. I look at the Vatanen and Skjei deals as more "desperation" moves and don't think the team (knock on wood) is in the same boat right now, even with the injuries we have. Last year, the Canes were fighting just to get into a playoff spot before the covid shutdown, and Hamilton and Pesce were lost for the season, Gardiner wasn't playing well, Fleury was inconsistent and TVR was inconsistent following his recovery. The defense was a mess at the time and I viewed those moves as the management knowing they had to do something to salvage the chances at the playoffs.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I can count on one hand the number of shots Reimer actually stopped without rebounds or caught in his glove last night. And that number is less than the number of times he oddly left his stick laying on the ice when he could have retrieved it. He was just bad all around. He cursed my GDT.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
At first I thought you were quoting yourself but now I realize these are two different users and at no point did I realize that until now. I’m sure I’ve responded to the two of you and wondered how the hell your opinion could change so quickly.

Maybe we are the same......

The Borg is spreading.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Either Svech needs to be with Aho and Necas or an acquisition needs to happen. Svech is pressing and not generating much of anything 5v5. We could try calling up an offensive prospect instead of always playing 4th liners but, that prospect will be treated worse than a 4th liner so, nevermind.
We are tied for 2nd worst in 5v5 scoring in March with 10 goals, 1 more than the 4 tied for last. Luckily the team defense/ goalies have been good or the other teams’ shooters have sucked because we are 5 goals better than expected in goals against.
That is while playing an easier schedule

Columbus doesn’t take a lot of penalties either. So our vaunted PP will not get much opportunity to score. Columbus is averaging 4.5 minutes of PK time per game in March. We are averaging 6.5 minutes per game. Columbus has given up one more goal on the PK in less time.

Granlund makes the most sense for a trade target

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
At this point, I think E Staal makes the most sense as a rental, given the team’s injuries. Of course, at any ask above a 3rd rd pick, I move on.

Granlund makes sense as a backup target. I get the sense that some targets in Anaheim are worth watching too. They could be a one stop shop, with the likes of Terry, Rakell and perhaps Hakanpaa available.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't think it's an overreaction to say we need more help. We have the assets to make some moves, we have legitimate areas of improvement and we are dealing with injuries that make a move in the coming days attractive. If we can package some of our futures for a player who can help us not only this year but down the line as well, we should absolutely make that kind of move, especially if it injects more skill into our Top 6 or Top 9 on offense.

Give us the 2021 version of the Nino or Tro deals. I'm here for it, my body is waiting.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Not going to overreact given the streak we were on and the year we're having. The game was largely hot poo poo sauce. Reimer was lava hot poo poo sauce. Probably lucky to only give up three. Just flush this one out of the system and get heads out of asses for the next game.

Time to go to a 2 games Ned, 1 game Reims rotation until Petr is back. Thank you James for everything the last few years but its time we start the process of moving on.

Reactions: hockeynjune

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Time to go to a 2 games Ned, 1 game Reims rotation until Petr is back. Thank you James for everything the last few years but its time we start the process of moving on.
Whatever they want to do, so be it, but James has been looking solid recently, so I'm not willing to overreact to his bad performance. It probably would be a good idea to let Ned start more than one game in a row at some point to see if that changes anything.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad