Confirmed with Link: Carcillo on try out contract

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Neal is a more skilled and in my opinion more complete player at his best. Hornqvist basically has two things that he can do - work in front of the net and compete hard. He does those two things really well, but Hornqvist is not a skill player.

One exchange of a skill player for a really good character, grit and grind guy is fine. But the Pens also lost Jokinen who has no replacement. Plus the added Spaling, Downie, and Carcillo all of whom are more hard working, character guys rather than hard working, skill guys. Instead of worrying about being too soft, maybe they should be worrying about having too many of the same type of player.

I disagree with pretty much everything you've said in this thread. We've gone from an easy to play against team with no bottom 6 to a deep team with a lot more sandpaper. Our bottom 6 this year is going to produce a ton more than last year, and will lessen the load on our big guns a lot. We didn't have insanely skilled top 6 wingers when we won the cup, we had guys who supported our stars.

And you gloss over the defense, where Ehrhoff + Despres is worlds better than Niskanen and Orpik, not to mention the cap savings.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Stuff like this is irritating because it is so obviously flawed in it's skewed concept.
Yes, we can say that Neal > Horny, but do we remember who it was who helped Neal become fraking Neal???? Yeah, the same guy who Horqvist will most likely play with. That is an intangible which we have absolutely no idea what the outcome will be. As in, what will Neal be like without Malkin and what will Horny be like WITH Geno.
Also, why are we comparing Juice with Spaling? Jesus, is that skewed to favor Juice. Spaling is a bottom 6 guy, brought in for the bottom 6, to upgrade the bottom 6. So if we are comparing him to a top 6 guy to fill a top 6 role then of course the outcome will favor the top 6 guy.
Furthermore, I disagree that Vitale > Goc (sorry, I know the love fest for Vitale on this board, but I never understood it), or Glass > Carcillo (are we effing serious here???), or even Vokoun> Greiss at this point. Or Jeffery being better than any of those guys whom he is listed with. Definitely disagree STRONGLY with Nisky > Ehrhoff or Orpi over anybody really at this point.

The bottom line is that this team is FAR FAR deeper and has legitimate NHL players throughout. Play the comparison game however you wish. I like the direction of this team compared to last years.

Maybe I am mis reading the "greater than" symbol being used here because some of these are so obviously wrong that I simply don't understand why anybody would use such a symbol?

That wasn't a greater than. It was an arrow: ->
As I stated, "Make whatever judgements you so choose." That was meant to imply that I wasn't casting judgement on any of the replacements in that post. I most certainly was not saying that every player that left is better than the players that came in. That's just ludicrous.

I was merely providing a reference.

I probably should have had Jokinen replaced by Downie instead of Spaling, I suppose. Feel free to re-arrange as preferred.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I'd say the off-season rankings go like this:

Neal > Hornqvist
Jokinen* > Spaling*
Kobesew < Downie
Glass < Carcillo
Vitale < Goc
D'agostini < Comeau
Jeffrey </= Megna

Niskanen </= Ehrhoff
Orpik </= Despres
Engelland </= Sammuelson

Zatkoff < Greiss

*this isn't a true comparison between the players. Bennett is really gonna have to replace Juice in the top six, and Spaling replace Bennett in the bottom six, which could make it a more even trade off than just Juice vs. Spaling.

Just my two cents.

Agree or Disagree?

Last edited:

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I didn't wanna sound too homerish taking the kids over the vets. Ehrhoff is against a career year Niskanen, but otherwise yes, I think the only ones where they didn't improve is the first two's production. But ids rather have working the corners and net front type players than two perimeter players.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Indeed. That's how I read it as well.

Thanks. Couldn't tell really. Im not up to date on my internet symbol kinda lingo?

Because we have internal options as far as physical 4th liners go. What we don't have is a big winger who can score 15+ goals. Without a trade (if we could really get Stewart for Scuds and a pick, forget about these tryouts!) seeing what Malone/Penner still have to offer is the only short-term option.

Sure but Mueller is off the market, he signed with the Blues back in July. There really isn't anyone good left out there.

Mark Madden (I think) told that story some weeks ago. He said one of the younger players told him how Adams would basically bully the young guys. And that they were calling him a narc because he'd have coffee every morning with Bylsma, ostensibly to report back about locker room stuff. Madden has been the only source for this, I don't remember anyone else confirming it. But it sounds believable given how close Bylsma and Adams were, and how Adams was never ever scratched despite his horrendous play.

Ahhhh...if that is true then all I can say is WOW! What a little b**ch. And an insecure one to boot.
As far as the other stuff we're just gonna disagree. I think Carcillo is a far better option than what we already had internally. I suppose we can leave it at that and remain freinds. :)
Pretty sure those are arrows to show transition, not greater than/less than.

As in the player who filled this role has been replaced by this other player.
Aaaaand I'm an idiot. Hahaha

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
To be fair, in that situation I probably would've just added an extra dash to make sure there was no confusion, but I mean, that's just splitting hairs at this point.

I actually thought it was a 'greater than' symbol at first as well, until I saw "Glass ->", after which I knew it had to be an arrow, since no one in their right mind would say Glass is greater than anything :laugh:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
To be fair, in that situation I probably would've just added an extra dash to make sure there was no confusion, but I mean, that's just splitting hairs at this point.

I actually thought it was a 'greater than' symbol at first as well, until I saw "Glass ->", after which I knew it had to be an arrow, since no one in their right mind would say Glass is greater than anything :laugh:

:laugh:

I use -> every day while writing code as a software engineer, so it's second nature to me, both in writing it, and in reading it. I'll try to be more clear next time :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad