GDT: carchi

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
They called that a hook after the Blackhawks rode everyone and their mother around the zone like ****ing water skis for the last 3 minutes?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The overwhelming majority of the Canes' 40 shots were terrible. The Blackhawks had far more legit scoring chances which Cam shut down beautifully. Don't let the totals fool you.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
A better team beat us in their house, and their goalie had to steal it to do it.

Good game, no result. Better luck next game.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Yes, but this is a very different thing than saying "all the canes shots were terrible" which is just not true. A post away from a point.

I thought Darling was quite good. His rebound control was top notch on top of being in good position all night on some good chances. He didn't give anything away for sure.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yes, but this is a very different thing than saying "all the canes shots were terrible" which is just not true. A post away from a point.

Fair enough. I said overwhelming majority, not all... But I get the point. I just disagree that the Canes dominated the game. Cam shut down 3-4 great scoring chances which could have easily been goals. I don't feel like Darling was as impressive.

Put another way... Insert a struggling goalie on both teams and I think the Blackhawks win handily.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The overwhelming majority of the Canes' 40 shots were terrible. The Blackhawks had far more legit scoring chances which Cam shut down beautifully. Don't let the totals fool you.

40 shots is 40 shots. If you get 40 shots a game the odds overwhelmingly favor more than one goal scored. The hockey gods just weren't with us tonight.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think GMRF owes it to this group, this coach and -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- this goalie to go out and really try to add some skill up front. I think this group of guys is at the absolute limit of their capabilities right now and it's not fair to ask any more from them without getting them some help.

The guys in the room have done more than their part to get this ship turned around, but Martin Frk, Jacob Nakladal, Klas Dahlbeck and Ty Rattie isn't going to get it done from the GM. I love what Ronnie is building here, but these guys have earned a fair shot at the post-season this year and I hope RF can find something that helps them get it done.

Soon.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think GMRF owes it to this group, this coach and -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- this goalie to go out and really try to add some skill up front. I think this group of guys is at the absolute limit of their capabilities right now and it's not fair to ask any more from them without getting them some help.

The guys in the room have done more than their part to get this ship turned around, but Martin Frk, Jacob Nakladal, Klas Dahlbeck and Ty Rattie isn't going to get it done from the GM. I love what Ronnie is building here, but these guys have earned a fair shot at the post-season this year and I hope RF can find something that helps them get it done.

Soon.

Would rather continue building through draft and trying to get that front-line scorer in the offseason when the rent ain't so damn high. We don't need to be trading off current assets for short-term help in what is basically year 3 of a rebuild. It'll be tough to see these kids miss the playoffs, but when you look at the big picture, there is years of long-term competitiveness here. Need to remain patient. JMO of course.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We need as much young talent and depth as possible, period. Other teams table scraps are still better than some of our forwards unfortunately, and if we can gain under 25 y/o depth for "free" I think RF absolutely needs to do it. I like the Dahlbeck move, I think the guy is actually pretty solid for the bottom pairing. Ratty is a good idea, we're short a winger or two and a natural RW that sticks would be awesome.

I agree we need high end talent to compliment what we have, but there aren't any actual trades going on so for what's available I think RF has actually been pretty busy and aggressive trying to improve. I want Landy or Duchene but so does everyone else. I highly doubt we were the only team who put in for Ratty.

Tough thing is we aren't going to be drafting top 5 anymore apparently so we aren't likely to draft studs anytime soon either. RF may have to trade something good for the finishing pieces. If we have the bones of a team in place, and have the depth to survive such moves then I don't mind it as much.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Soon.

Problem is, no one is selling yet. Except Colorado, who is apparently asking for GMs first born. Arizona has nothing to sell, and everyone else thinks they are still in it, even if they're delusional.

If Francis could get a decent price on a complimentary forward, that'd be great. I don't know if that deal is out there though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In the 4 games Lindholm has missed over the last week, the Canes are 1-3. The PP is humming along at 6%, and the PK is at 69%.

Think he might play a pretty large role on those units?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
In the 4 games Lindholm has missed over the last week, the Canes are 1-3. The PP is humming along at 6%, and the PK is at 69%.

Think he might play a pretty large role on those units?

PP looks more like a coaching issue to me. The "stand in place and pass around the umbrella" crap has got to go. It is about as static as it can get right now. The desperately need some movement and a better net front presence.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
About Hanifin....Victor Hedman looked subpar his first few years before he figured it out. Hanifin will be fine.

I think Ty Rattie looks pretty darn good. Some Blues fans were criticizing his skating, but I'm not seeing it.

And our most tradeable commodity right now is Faulk. You want improvement upfront, be prepared to part with him. We'd be trading from our position of strength, and I doubt RF would trade Pesce, Slavin or Hanifin. And noone wants Fleury or McKeown.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Fair enough. I said overwhelming majority, not all... But I get the point. I just disagree that the Canes dominated the game. Cam shut down 3-4 great scoring chances which could have easily been goals. I don't feel like Darling was as impressive.

Put another way... Insert a struggling goalie on both teams and I think the Blackhawks win handily.

Just going to jump in here because I am thinking the same way you're thinking - that a good amount of those 40-some-odd shots were pathetic, therefore skew the numbers, and the game was -at best- even. No way the Canes were the dominant team.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Just going to jump in here because I am thinking the same way you're thinking - that a good amount of those 40-some-odd shots were pathetic, therefore skew the numbers, and the game was -at best- even. No way the Canes were the dominant team.

We couldn't finish, but we had control of the puck most of the game. I was watching the Blackhawks feed last night, and their announcers were quite convinced that we were controlling the game, and were talking at the end about how the Blackhawks got two points they shouldn't have gotten.

There was a lot of perimeter play, there weren't a lot of really good chances, and there were more than a few useless shots, but from the Hawks side, it looked like them never being able to control the puck or generate any sustained offensive pressure, but being able to weather the storm after a getting a fluky goal for the lead.

Our defense was key, again. They stymied the Hawks offense pretty well and kept getting us the puck back every time we lost it, even though our offense (apart from Skinner and Staal) didn't seem to understand that they weren't supposed to just be taking perimeter shots to warm up the goalie. We played a suburb possession game- the Hawks didn't touch the puck a whole lot, and that's thanks to Faulk, Slavin and co. But Jeff Skinner and the waiver fodder we've put around him up front doesn't seem to be doing it offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad