GDT: carchi

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
My group of STH that have been around since Greensboro have dwindled over the past three seasons from 24 down to 6 this year. Four of those 6 had reservations about renewing but ended up doing so. Games have been better this year but without a Playoff showing or something to get excited about I doubt they will renew next year. I'm on the fence, especially if everyone else decides to cancel.

Not saying my situation is representative of the norm, but at least from what I am experiencing the good will is pretty much on empty rather than building.

I have heard of similar situations and would add that anecdotal conversations with friends and fans demonstrate a frustration. I'm not saying all is lost should we not make the playoffs this season, but if we are near the hunt, we should make whatever move we think is both best for the team long term while recognizing the critical nature of where the organization stands in the public's minds.

It's just my opinion, yes, but they've bottomed out already. Going 12-4-1 (or whatever) at home has got things on the upswing, though yes, it's entirely possible a couple injuries causes even that bit of hope to extinguish. Being headed in the right direction both in terms of seeing talented prospects and a competitive team on the ice is the bridge to making the playoffs that will keep the solid majority on board who haven't jumped ship yet. Really, if you stayed *this* long, and abandon the team after these results, it doesn't speak highly of your ability to process what is happening.

I agree that we are now on the upswing. Natural player development, improvement, and evolution will add to this upward trend. But we need consistency in scoring and we need it badly. Derek Ryan is a wonderful story and he's playing his heart out. But I'd send him down to the Checkers 10 times out of 10 for a more proven secondary scoring option.

As much as I'd like to get a guy like Duchene or Landeskog, I'm not sure that is the best move for us right now or even the move that I'd make. I'd be fishing for a 3rd line secondary scorer. Or even better a 3C who could work well with Aho and Teravainen (although Teuvo seems to thrive at center). I just think that we are one scoring piece shy right now.

3 of their 6 defenseman are on ELCs. The $ will go up in 2018 significantly.

I agree, but this team has the budget for it. With solid offensive assets in the pipeline (there's never enough pipeline, however), I'm guessing the philosophy will be to pay the blueline and take a hard line with some of the forwards at their next contract. I'd look at trying to get a longer term deal done with at least one (both if they'd do it) of Slavin, Pesce, or Hanifin and bridge the ones that I couldn't (likely Hanifin). I have no idea what their salary demands might be nor do I know what the market will be like, but I think it would look similar to what Faulk and/or Rask got.

Our core forward corps is likely Skinner, Staal, Rask, Aho, Teravainen, and Lindholm. The rest are a cast of characters yet to come. I'm assuming that we re-sign Teuvo, probably to a bridge deal much like Lindy's. Lindy's next deal is entirely contingent on the rest of this year and next year's play. But even so, we are still going to have a fair amount of salary flexibility.

We'll pay the defenders first and then do what we can with the forwards. That's my two cents....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad