Confirmed Trade: [CAR/PIT] Jake Guentzel (25% retained), Ty Smith for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, 2024 cond. 1st, 2024 cond. 5th

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is not going to commit for 9 AAV for 7 years on Jake. Jake will sign a deal with the Canes as they are trying to win a cup now. Pens are not a true cup contender but with a couple smart moves, they can be a good team. That lineup is a decent lineup and keeping the band together next year is still the plan. Jake just doesn't fit in that as they will be moving off some players for picks and prospects after next year.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
POJ has played very well the past month. I'd love to see Graves get shipped out for a forward, but that would be taking on another bad contact. Ludvig- St. Ivany should be the third pairing next season.
POJ- Letang
Pettersson- Karlsson
Ludvig-St. Ivany
Shea
If you can swap that long contract for a 3rd liner with some jam that needs change of scenery, be my guest. I just don't think it's feasible.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
If you can swap that long contract for a 3rd liner with some jam that needs change of scenery, be my guest. I just don't think it's feasible.
I know many Kings fans would love to get rid of Pierre- Luc Dubois. Maybe Jesperi Kotaniemi could work too since the Canes have a lot of UFA d-man after this season.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I know many Kings fans would love to get rid of Pierre- Luc Dubois. Maybe Jesperi Kotaniemi could work too since the Canes have a lot of UFA d-man after this season.
The Canes likely motivation to move KK is about recouping that cap space to use for Guentzel, Jarvis, Necas and maybe TT if he wants to take a hometown discount and can fit the cap. Graves doesn't make sense for us as he makes almost exactly as much as Kotkaniemi. Also, we literally just traded you our best defensive 3C spec in Ponomarev at the TDL...how many bottom-6 Cs do you need?

Further, I don't see a spot for Graves. We're losing Pesce and Skjei most likely and expecting to re-sign Chatfield, but that leaves us with a Slavin-Burns, Orlov-Chatty top-4 (pretty decent) and Morrow having a chance to win the 3RD slot in camp. If anything we need a cheap defensive 3LD to babysit the rookie.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
The Canes likely motivation to move KK is about recouping that cap space to use for Guentzel, Jarvis, Necas and maybe TT if he wants to take a hometown discount and can fit the cap. Graves doesn't make sense for us as he makes almost exactly as much as Kotkaniemi. Also, we literally just traded you our best defensive 3C spec in Ponomarev at the TDL...how many bottom-6 Cs do you need?

Further, I don't see a spot for Graves. We're losing Pesce and Skjei most likely and expecting to re-sign Chatfield, but that leaves us with a Slavin-Burns, Orlov-Chatty top-4 (pretty decent) and Morrow having a chance to win the 3RD slot in camp. If anything we need a cheap defensive 3LD to babysit the rookie.
Sullivan has a passion for veteran bottom six fowards.

Reactions: DaveG

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Could definitely happen. The Pens have the cap space to re-sign him. Carolina.... not so much.
He's not coming back. Pens might be competitive one more year after this one. After that it looks very bleak for many years. Doubt he wants to be on a cellar dweller for the majority of his next contract. And now that pens can only offer 7 years, it would likely take ~10 million aav to get it done, which I doubt KD is interested in doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug and MinJaBen

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He's not coming back. Pens might be competitive one more year after this one. After that it looks very bleak for many years. Doubt he wants to be on a cellar dweller for the majority of his next contract. And now that pens can only offer 7 years, it would likely take ~10 million aav to get it done, which I doubt KD is interested in doing.
Dubas wants to build his prospect pool while remaining competitive. He's going to spend to the cap every year but will avoid sending assets out to do it. That means UFA deals. How else to do you propose we spend this cap space we're about to have other than Jake or a Jake level salary? Throwing all the money at Sam Reinhart is about the only other option I see in UFA. I'd be fine with that too, but I doubt he makes it to UFA and if he does, I doubt he picks Pittsburgh. Stranger things have happened though: See Gadreau to Columbus of all places.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Dubas wants to build his prospect pool while remaining competitive. He's going to spend to the cap every year but will avoid sending assets out to do it. That means UFA deals. How else to do you propose we spend this cap space we're about to have other than Jake or a Jake level salary? Throwing all the money at Sam Reinhart is about the only other option I see in UFA. I'd be fine with that too, but I doubt he makes it to UFA and if he does, I doubt he picks Pittsburgh. Stranger things have happened though: See Gadreau to Columbus of all places.

Dubas will probably spread that money around to get some semblance of depth. This year we saw that sid can work with O'Connor and rust. Geno and bunting can work. Eller was a decent 3rd line center, but would be best centering the 4th line with acari finally moved to wing

Trade smith and (if you can) graves and ...

Add some more physicality to the bottom six like trenin and/or duhaime if the aves don't resign either.

And

Throw money at Lindholm, stephenson, or monohan to be a second line center and finally move Geno to wing with bunting on the other side.

Or

look at multiple under 30 guys for scoring depth.
Guys who you could take what Jake would make and maybe get two players like duclair, debrusk, bertuzzi, or foegele

Or

If they keep Geno at center maybe throw cash at arvidsson or marchessault to play with him and bunting next year. Both would be cheaper than Jake and probably shorter than 7 years. Since coming back from injury arvidssons been good and l.a prob can't keep him, and marchessault was great this year prior to getting hurt and Vegas def can't keep him.

Or

there will be teams with cap crunches that will be selling guys cheap that dubas can make additions without losing 1st or 2nd round picks.

There's plenty of options, but as always every one of those guys could very well want to play on a team that doesn't appear to be on fading as much as the pens have in the past two years.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Pitt fans were right when one of them compared Guentzel to Ray Whitney. It's funny; you play in a division against a player for a decade but you don't know the player well until the minute he plays on your team, then you are an expert.

Guentzel is exactly what the team needs. Skill, elusive movement in the offensive zone, a great shot and a knack for getting right to the net or finding someone else right in the slot.

It's crazy how at the trade deadline, the Canes picked up their two best passers within 24 hours. Guentzel is a much better player than Kuzy is, but both of them are just phenomenal at moving the puck.

Happy for Bunting too. He's not a bad guy, he's just a better fit for another system.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pitt fans were right when one of them compared Guentzel to Ray Whitney. It's funny; you play in a division against a player for a decade but you don't know the player well until the minute he plays on your team, then you are an expert.

Guentzel is exactly what the team needs. Skill, elusive movement in the offensive zone, a great shot and a knack for getting right to the net or finding someone else right in the slot.

It's crazy how at the trade deadline, the Canes picked up their two best passers within 24 hours. Guentzel is a much better player than Kuzy is, but both of them are just phenomenal at moving the puck.

Happy for Bunting too. He's not a bad guy, he's just a better fit for another system.
That's why some Pens fans were dead set against trading him for anything less than a motherlode, especially since he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh.

Bunting's been solid and the prospects are fine, but wingers as gifted and versatile offensively as Guentzel are almost impossible to replace. He can play and produce with anyone, any time, and he's going to do so for a long time.

Reactions: DaveG

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

PIT fans will also be right about how mediocre this return is. At least those ones saying it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Now that their seasons are over, here are their stats with their new teams.

Jake 8G 17A 25P +16
Bunting 6G 13A 19P -4

Pretty sure they are 1-2 in scoring among TD players?
Kuzy for the Flames is in there
Goals - 14
Assists - 10
Points - 24

Plays tonight as well.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens did what was there. Dubas liked Bunting and he is a solid player on the second line. Who ever signs Jake for 9 AAV or so for 7 years will get a high character player with great hands and hockey IQ. But you also get a player that just is a defensive liability, has injury concerns as his body especially his shoulder breaks down. I wanted more but it was the best move in a limited window. Pens add younger players to the barren system and decent pick. Have to think Dubas doesn't do the deal if these prospects were not of interest and have upside here.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas hasn't mentioned Jake as being a possibility. That ship has sailed. Crosby extension is key, Then integrate younger players into the mix. Sullivan will have new coaches that are responsible for improving PP and team defense. Sullivan systems and outdated thinking is no longer driving the bus.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Wherever Guentzel ends up on 7/1, looks like it likely won’t be back to PIT:

Pens need to get younger. Jake also should not come back, with missing back to back playoffs the window is now shut. It will be kept forced open until the core retires but we aint doing shit from here on out, especially since we will likely not be firing Sullivan (LMAO!!!!),

Reactions: Chan790

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Dubas hasn't mentioned Jake as being a possibility. That ship has sailed. Crosby extension is key, Then integrate younger players into the mix. Sullivan will have new coaches that are responsible for improving PP and team defense. Sullivan systems and outdated thinking is no longer driving the bus.
Because legally he cant. Jake is under contract with the Canes and stating anything is tampering.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
20240424_111552.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad