Confirmed Trade: [CAR/PIT] Jake Guentzel (25% retained), Ty Smith for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, 2024 cond. 1st, 2024 cond. 5th

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If jakes AAV is going to start with 9, his contract length will be no more than 5.

10+ million is crazy for a guy who has 80 points once because of health or performance, especially for his 35-38 years of age.

Reactions: Voight

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bunting has been great. If the Pens had signed him in the offseason to begin with like I wanted (instead of somebody like Graves) they'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

Reactions: MikeFolignosHelmet

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I’d be shocked if the Canes offered Guentzel more than they’re paying Aho. I have a hard time seeing them going much over $8M on a max term deal.

If he’s truly looking for $10M, he ain’t getting that in Raleigh and I highly doubt he gets that anywhere else either.
You never know, Guentzel is very good in the playoffs. If the Canes go far and he lights it up big time, someone might take the bait.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
You never know, Guentzel is very good in the playoffs. If the Canes go far and he lights it up big time, someone might take the bait.
He has already done enough to show his production is not related to Sid or Geno. I do believe he will make over 10 and I do believe it will be 7-8 years depending on who signs him.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
If jakes AAV is going to start with 9, his contract length will be no more than 5.

10+ million is crazy for a guy who has 80 points once because of health or performance, especially for his 35-38 years of age.

Barzal signed an 8 year deal 2 years ago (when cap was 5M less) for 9.2M and has only had 1 season over 70 points.

Huberdeau is a year older and signed an 8 year deal at 10.5M

In my opinion, the only chance Jake signs a deal under 10M or under 7-8 years is if he wants to provide a discount which I do not believe his agent is open to.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Canes should offer 8x8 max. Otherwise move on. Buyout the mistake Kotkaniemi and move on.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Barzal signed an 8 year deal 2 years ago (when cap was 5M less) for 9.2M and has only had 1 season over 70 points.

Huberdeau is a year older and signed an 8 year deal at 10.5M

In my opinion, the only chance Jake signs a deal under 10M or under 7-8 years is if he wants to provide a discount which I do not believe his agent is open to.
Barzal is much younger. Huberdeau had 2 seasons over 90 points, including 115, and that contract is a mistake. That doesn’t make the case for JG.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Valuing players by their regular season performances is something a franchise like Buffalo does. Canes are looking to make cup runs and Guentzal is likely their best player when the playoffs starts.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’d be shocked if the Canes offered Guentzel more than they’re paying Aho. I have a hard time seeing them going much over $8M on a max term deal.

If he’s truly looking for $10M, he ain’t getting that in Raleigh and I highly doubt he gets that anywhere else either.

I think Buffalo would pay and it would be a great fit

Barzal is much younger. Huberdeau had 2 seasons over 90 points, including 115, and that contract is a mistake. That doesn’t make the case for JG.

Jake also has 2 40 goal seasons and a higher ppg.

Jake has as many goals as Huberdeau in 300 less games. Teams pay for goals.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am sure Dubas wanted Bunting but it takes two to tango. I can live with him at LW instead of paying 9,mllion for Jake. But Dubas has that cap space to add to the mix here. He does the stuff Geno likes as to his D checking deep and going to the net as well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder if @Dipsy Doodle is still unhappy with the Bunting return…
Well he’s a “cap dump” “third wheel top six” waste of space…of course he is.

13pts in 15 games, he’s played perfect as a not as good as Guentzel yet capable positional replacement player. He’s producing what we thought Guentzel would produce for us.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crazy how a guy who was completely servicable (minus the refs hating him) with Matthews and Marner for two full seasons looks good with Malkin!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wonder if @Dipsy Doodle is still unhappy with the Bunting return…
I have no problem calling a spade a spade. Even though I still dislike the deal, if Bunting keeps playing and producing like he has - and any of the prospects end up becoming noteworthy - moving Guentzel will be a lot easier to digest.

He's been very good in his role with Malkin so far. Better than expected, for sure.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Crazy how a guy who was completely servicable (minus the refs hating him) with Matthews and Marner for two full seasons looks good with Malkin!
Bunting was never bad for Carolina, but he didn't fit our system great. He scored decently, on the PP as well. Overall he tended to be a net neutral player in that he hurt us defensively as much as he helped offensively. He didn't create his own offense, but when paired with skilled players he could finish plays. His shit-talking ways tended to get us penalized more than the other team.

It's possible he could have played better with more time. Most players who join the team need 40 or more games to really get a feel for the system. It's a unique system that no other teams employ. More than likely, however, he just wasn't a great fit for this group.

Incidentally, his increased production from the Pens give him a very similar production to Mason Marchment, who was the guy we really wanted. We offered 3 years, $4.5M per for Mason and the Stars offered 4 years at the same price, so we picked up Bunting the next year. It was the kind of move where we had the space and took a low-grade risk with Bunting. It wasn't a failure but we wanted a little more from him.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Koivunen with assists on all four Kärpät goals on the last two games. Team looking bad right now
That's because Kärpät can't handle Pelicans speed, physical play and aggressiveness
Pelicans are forcing them.

BTW. Kärpät got lucky vs Jukurit, also their goalie was superb in key moments,
now their goaltending can't save them from a team that actually plays
at their own level, Jukurit underperformed and couldn't score enough goals
to defeat Kärpät.

Also, nice recovery from Pelicans after almost losing a 3-0 led series vs HIFK

Reactions: bleedgreen

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
That's because Kärpät can't handle Pelicans speed, physical play and aggressiveness
Pelicans are forcing them.

BTW. Kärpät got lucky vs Jukurit, also their goalie was superb in key moments,
now their goaltending can't save them from a team that actually plays
at their own level, Jukurit underperformed and couldn't score enough goals
to defeat Kärpät.

Also, nice recovery from Pelicans after almost losing a 3-0 led series vs HIFK
Yeah, it was similar against Jukurit who sre very tenacious. Kärpät stood around watching.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All this talk about Guentzel and the trade, but has no one noticed how suddenly PIT might be CAR's 1st round playoff opponent? :eek2:

I feel like there are some storylines if that happens...
"Hey Jake, remember that time we were out of the playoffs and thought we had no chance so we traded you but then we started winning and now we're in the playoffs? Crazy."

I kid, I kid...I'd much rather have Jake for a playoff run than not.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Turning out to be that Bunting is the Pascal Dupuis of the Hossa trade.. though Bunting is not Guentzel, I’m liking him more and more each and every game. It’s proving to me that this was more of a shakeup move than a sell job. After the team stopped pouting, this is the best hockey they’ve played all year and Bunting has been a big part of getting Malkin to stop sucking

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4