Proposal: CAR - NSH

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Forget about Forsberg, but you guys should be thinking more seriously about Granlund. While his points are underwhelming, I think we'd all agree he has been our 2nd-best forward this year overall. If you are shopping for a top-6 forward like Forsberg, well, Granlund for a far far lower price is where the real fit would be.

I’ve been saying Granlund for awhile

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
I had to re-read that to see if you actually said Svech. Looool I get you love FF but loooooool no nashville player or package could get you svech.
His point is Forsberg is unavailable. It would take a ridiculous overpayment to get Forsberg. Carolina doesn’t have the realistic assets to acquire Forsberg. We had this argument with Hab’s fans a week ago.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Jack Drury is the best piece in the offer. He has had an outstanding season filling all roles for the second best team in the SHL (Vaxjo). Last year he had 39 points in 28 NCAA games. He is one of the better Center prospects not currently playing in the NHL/AHL.

we have like a 7th rounder from 2020 producing the same numbers in Liiga.

Take price is a 2021 1st, your best prospect , another good prospect , good roster player

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Take price is a 2021 1st, your best prospect , another good prospect , good roster player

If that’s the price then no one has the realistic assets because I can’t see any team giving that up. Canes could put a package like that together but they won’t even consider it

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
First of all, Nashville has found success recently and is still pushing for a very reachable playoff spot, I am aware that the fans are certainly not throwing the towel yet and ready to go seller.

Carolina receives: Filip Forsberg

Nashville receives: forward prospect Jack Drury + 1st round pick 2021 + 1st round pick 2022 + conditional pick: you also get 2nd round pick 2021 if Carolina makes the SC final.

Carolina's first line: Forsberg-Aho-Necas

Nashville: 2 guaranteed picks to rebuild and a decent prospect.
Very tempting Drury looks to be the real deal a decent freshman year a good sophomore year and holding his own in the Swedish league. Then add two first round picks....... There is no guarantee now that FF9 does not test F/A after this contract in Nashville. For a team that needs a rebuild the value is there. But the sad fact they have won 3 games on a row meaning Poile will sit on his hands and do nothing.

Reactions: ScoopsAHO

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

When has any player with basically 1 year left on their deal got that kind of return? Particularly one with a career high 64 points and a career average of 65 points / 82 games?

I get that you don't want to trade him, which is fine.

Edit: Duchene is probably the closest recent example, yet he was traded at the start of the season so it was pretty much two full seasons of control of him for Ottawa and that deal has been categorically viewed as an absolute disaster for Ottawa, even if they wouldn't have fallen off the face of the earth and end up giving the 4th OA as part of it.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If that’s the price then no one has the realistic assets because I can’t see any team giving that up. Canes could put a package like that together but they won’t even consider it
And again, I think that is entirely the point. No other team can look at Forsberg and gamble that he's more than a 1.5 year asset who is maybe .8ppg. Ok. But to us, he's our best forward - and I'm going to say "EVER" - and I do believe he'd be a major star on some other teams and pile up more points, PLUS to us, we envision him being very easy to re-sign for 8 more years after this, so to us he's 9.5 yrs of the best forward our franchise has ever had, and a major 1st line superstar talent. So ok, I get why other teams look and don't necessarily see that, and that's fine, but that's the exact reason why he's untradeable, in a nutshell. The discrepancy in relative evaluations is enormous. Insurmountable. He should not be mentioned in any trade discussions whatsoever, therefore.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
And for the record, I would not take that for Forsberg.

For goodness sakes that package would be a boon. Jarvis has a real shot as a PPG guy, Drury is also a top 6 type player that may turn into that 1C we have not had since Arnott. And Bean looks to be leaps better than Fabbro. On top of that another 1st. This would be a massive overpayment for Forsberg.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Very tempting Drury looks to be the real deal a decent freshman year a good sophomore year and holding his own in the Swedish league. Then add two first round picks....... There is no guarantee now that FF9 does not test F/A after this contract in Nashville. For a team that needs a rebuild the value is there. But the sad fact they have won 3 games on a row meaning Poile will sit on his hands and do nothing.

It's hard to believe Nashville's core is clustered in that late 20s to early 30s range. Time is flying. Re-signing Forsberg for max term would be a commitment to him through his age 35 season.

That's a recipe for years of mediocrity trying to squeeze out just a little more success from legacy types before changing course and embracing a youth movement. I hope the lottery balls bounce your way to avoid that. Carolina's 9 year playoff drought followed a similar path. It was brutal.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
His point is Forsberg is unavailable. It would take a ridiculous overpayment to get Forsberg. Carolina doesn’t have the realistic assets to acquire Forsberg. We had this argument with Hab’s fans a week ago.

If the Habs can get Eric Staal at 50 for a 3rd and 5th they can clearly get FF for a 2nd and Lehkonen.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Tryamw

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Jarvis is going to be better than Forsberg and under cheap team control for a while without the risk of walking as a UFA any time soon...

No way I’d trade Jarvis for 1.5yrs of Forsberg, but I think expectations need to be tempered a bit here. Forsberg is a proven top line NHL forward; Jarvis, while having sky-high potential, is a prospect and NHL unknown.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Good for you. No sane GM would offer that
And nobody is asking any GM, sane or otherwise to offer that. GMs should be sane enough to know it would be rejected, sane enough not to offer it, and all sides should be sane enough to understand that there is no sense in trying to trade for Forsberg. You can't, won't, and shouldn't pay the price. So just start looking at Granlund. For a 2nd and 5th rounder, say, you still get a decent player. Granlund is where sanity can prevail.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Going to take a 5 dimes for a quarter deal to make Nashville consider a move with Forsberg. Canes can’t make the money work with deals coming up with Hamilton, Svetch, and Necas. I can’t see them as trade partners

Reactions: Tryamw

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's hard to believe Nashville's core is clustered in that late 20s to early 30s range. Time is flying. Re-signing Forsberg for max term would be a commitment to him through his age 35 season.

That's a recipe for years of mediocrity trying to squeeze out just a little more success from legacy types before changing course and embracing a youth movement. I hope the lottery balls bounce your way to avoid that. Carolina's 9 year playoff drought followed a similar path. It was brutal.
If we miss the playoffs 9 years in a row like you did, it won't be JUST because we signed Forsberg. I'm signing Forsberg for 8 more years. And the rest... if the team isn't smart enough to fix the rest that's broken, sure, it's entirely possible we'll be miserable for 9 years like you guys were. But keeping Forsberg won't be the determining factor in that whatsoever. Forsberg ain't what's broke. And I'm willing to bet he won't be at 35 either. As for the rest... yes, there is lots of work needed. And an aging Poile and nepotistic succession to him doesn't lend me any confidence whatsoever that they'll fix it. But that's a different story.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If we miss the playoffs 9 years in a row like you did, it won't be JUST because we signed Forsberg. I'm signing Forsberg for 8 more years. And the rest... if the team isn't smart enough to fix the rest that's broken, sure, it's entirely possible we'll be miserable for 9 years like you guys were. But keeping Forsberg won't be the determining factor in that whatsoever. Forsberg ain't what's broke. And I'm willing to bet he won't be at 35 either. As for the rest... yes, there is lots of work needed. And an aging Poile and nepotistic succession to him doesn't lend me any confidence whatsoever that they'll fix it. But that's a different story.

In isolation, no. In the broader context of Nashville's roster, someone has to go to turn the page on this chapter. The Preds can't keep all of Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Forsberg and expect a quick bottoming out to get the high picks that turn into the core players of the next great Predators team. Case in point, they're 4 points out of the playoffs right now.

Carolina too tried to rebuild on the fly around Staal and Ward. The result was a below average to bad, but not horrendous team. The first 5 years saw them draft 7th, 12th, 8th (traded for J. Staal), 5th and 7th again. It wasn't until Francis came along that the organization changed course and started to focus on the future. Even that didn't materialize into top picks until a fluke lottery win landed the team Svechnikov, 9 years in. Unusually good drafting on Day 2 and the bounce are the only reasons why the team is still not mired in long-term mediocrity.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I get Nashville fans asking for the moon for Forsberg ~ he's an elite winger imo, and his numbers are damn impressive considering offense tends to die in Nashville (no offense Predators fans!)

Plus, for the zillionth time, Nashville has the option to cash in plenty of other assets (Arvidsson, Ekholm, Granlund, etc etc) for futures, while retaining Forsberg. He's not even all that old, and seems like the type of player who could be productive well into his 30s

I actually think Carolina is far better off looking at a lower cost addition anyway (yes, a Granlund type could be a nice fit as mentioned here). A Filip Forsberg is a luxury to them imo, considering they have Aho, Svech, Trochek & Teravainen (whom I confess I don't know much about his health status), with Necas apparently well on his way and guys like Staal & Neiderreiter also producing. I'm actually quite envious.... ;) :)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In isolation, no. In the broader context of Nashville's roster, someone has to go to turn the page on this chapter. The Preds can't keep all of Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Forsberg and expect a quick bottoming out to get the high picks that turn into the core players of the next great Predators team. Case in point, they're 4 points out of the playoffs right now.

Carolina too tried to rebuild on the fly around Staal and Ward. The result was a below average to bad, but not horrendous team. The first 5 years saw them draft 7th, 12th, 8th (traded for J. Staal), 5th and 7th again. It wasn't until Francis came along that the organization changed course and started to focus on the future. Even that didn't materialize into top picks until a fluke lottery win landed the team Svechnikov, 9 years in. Unusually good drafting on Day 2 and the bounce are the only reasons why the team is still not mired in long-term mediocrity.
Thanks for telling us what we already know? :huh: Still not relevant to the Forsberg situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad