Claimed off Waivers: [CAR] Hurricanes claim G Spencer Martin off waivers from the Blue Jackets

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So before they can waive him, he'd have to be offered for free (future considerations) to any team that claimed him the first time? Is that true for anyone claimed during the year?
If they were to trade him, they'd have to offer him at waiver price ($11,250) to anyone else who put in a claim originally. Only if they all passed on it could the trade go through.

This was just a normal waiver order, so anyone could put in a claim

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Definitely makes sense given the Canes goaltender/injury situation. Martin is a cheap, free claim and a warm body who can at least kinda play a few games if he has to. It's a temporary bandaid fix, and i'd imagine if they ever get healthier in net, Martin finds himself back on waivers. But in the meantime, at least it lets them send other guys back to where they belong at lower levels. They were reaching awfully far down into their depth chart to just find an emergency guy.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Yes! The legend of Spencer Martin lives on. Im cheering for you bud

Definitely makes sense given the Canes goaltender/injury situation. Martin is a cheap, free claim and a warm body who can at least kinda play a few games if he has to. It's a temporary bandaid fix, and i'd imagine if they ever get healthier in net, Martin finds himself back on waivers. But in the meantime, at least it lets them send other guys back to where they belong at lower levels. They were reaching awfully far down into their depth chart to just find an emergency guy.
Too bad Martin can figure out his glove hand. If he could, he'd have more staying power.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
He was solid in Columbus. Based on the new CBA guidelines CBJ had to pass him through waivers prior to any trade. No chance he was going to make it through. He's a very good backup and spot start guy. Ignore any numbers coming our of Columbus. Not a fair representation of how he played. Good not great but a NHL goalie....at least that's what we saw.
Oh so CBJ were trying to slide him through and wanted to keep him ? I assumed they were trying to offlload him.

Martin was pretty decent in Vancouver but the starter job was too much.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Sadly the depth chart was 4 due to circumstances beyond our control... And the Chicago Wolves can still get f***ed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sadly the depth chart was 4 due to circumstances beyond our control... And the Chicago Wolves can still get f***ed.

Never make an affiliation agreement with the Chicago Wolves. Vancouver learned that one too, back in the day. Though at least they didn't get left out in the cold altogether. They just...had all their prospects put on the backburner while they went off chasing a 'Ship.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yes! The legend of Spencer Martin lives on. Im cheering for you bud

Too bad Martin can figure out his glove hand. If he could, he'd have more staying power.

I think it's more than his glove hand, but that certainly doesn't help. It makes him seem like a much smaller goalie than he actually is.

I don't think he really has the mentality or resilience to be much more than a prototypical "3rd goalie" in general. Prolonged stretches of heavier usage just seem to completely frazzle him. Especially when he starts getting picked on upstairs and it all just spirals. And given his age, i doubt that's likely to evolve much at this point.

Fine way to make a living though. Should be fine for a brief stint with Carolina probably. Hopefully they can insulate him a bit, and get someone back sooner, rather than later.

Reactions: Brookbank

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Never make an affiliation agreement with the Chicago Wolves. Vancouver learned that one too, back in the day. Though at least they didn't get left out in the cold altogether. They just...had all their prospects put on the backburner while they went off chasing a 'Ship.
Honestly with the number of guys we have in the NCAA and Europe right now I wouldn't be shocked if the front office knew they were planning to f*** us a couple years ago.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly with the number of guys we have in the NCAA and Europe right now I wouldn't be shocked if the front office knew they were planning to f*** us a couple years ago.

It's just so goofy to me, that the AHL even allows them to operate without an NHL affiliate. It's a ultimately still touted as a "developmental league". It's farm teams. To have a team just go completely rogue and leave some NHL team without a chair when the music stops...is kind of insane.

The Canucks just buying their own team and nestling it in right down the highway is so huge in what has felt like a major developmental resurgence for the big club. Players aren't just lost to waste away and wither in the AHL anymore. Sometimes, they actually even get better now! And they don't have to worry about the Abbotsford team just like, bailing on the agreement and hanging them out to dry. It's nice.

Really stupid for the Canes that they got screwed like that. As bad as the Wolves have been as an affiliate, taking that extra step was pretty shocking to me.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He is visibly more shaky than a proper starter.
You can vibe it out, Carolina fans - you have had plenty of exposure to all the flavors goalies that are offered.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina must be a real good team to win with all these garbage goalies

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does his salary now count against the Carolina cap?
Yes, the whole of the player's SPC is assigned to the receiving team, similar to if the player was traded. In the MOU to extend the current CBA until 2026, they even clarified that NTC/NMC (if any) will travel along the player put on waivers and the new team will be bound by it.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad