Claimed off Waivers: [CAR] Hurricanes claim G Spencer Martin off waivers from the Blue Jackets

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I assume it's so they can send Perets down.

He will likely be waived again when Kotchetkov or Andersen comes back.
Yep, stopgap until Kotchetkov is healthy (concussion, should be another week or so), then hold him as a third goalie until/if Andersen comes back. Raanta has recovered his game a bit, but even in his better years has never been able to start more than 2 in a row without falling apart. Not to mention he's historically fragile as well.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
From what I've seen on the Canucks, Martin seems to be pretty good to start with but his play takes a dive later on so is probably a good option for what the Canes need

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He was solid in Columbus. Based on the new CBA guidelines CBJ had to pass him through waivers prior to any trade. No chance he was going to make it through. He's a very good backup and spot start guy. Ignore any numbers coming our of Columbus. Not a fair representation of how he played. Good not great but a NHL goalie....at least that's what we saw.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He was solid in Columbus. Based on the new CBA guidelines CBJ had to pass him through waivers prior to any trade. No chance he was going to make it through. He's a very good backup and spot start guy. Ignore any numbers coming our of Columbus. Not a fair representation of how he played. Good not great but a NHL goalie....at least that's what we saw.
Not pass through waivers, specifically.
But he must be offered to any team that put in a (failed) claim when he was claimed last time. [CBA 13.20(b)]

The fact that he was put on waivers makes me think there was no imminent trade anyway

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Not pass through waivers, specifically.
But he must be offered to any team that put in a (failed) claim when he was claimed last time. [CBA 13.20(b)]

The fact that he was put on waivers makes me think there was no imminent trade anyway
So before they can waive him, he'd have to be offered for free (future considerations) to any team that claimed him the first time? Is that true for anyone claimed during the year?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

not suprising with K injured... Martin effectively IMO is the Canes best avail. goalie at this time, he is better than Raanta is at this point in time.

Watch Martin post a .910+ with Carolina.
not out of the question, he has had times where he plays well. who knows, some goalies exceel when they join a group with a coach that has different systems...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He lost an asset he got for free. Not really that big of a deal. Tarasov has a higher ceiling and Greaves has been exceeding expectations. This is not a big deal in any way.

It’s not. I’m just pointing out his Elvis dump master plan which included hiding him from scouts view and confusing the entire CBJ market has fell apart in hilarious fashion. I really am curious what offers were on the table for Elvis back when the Oilers were in panic mode that Jarno tried to squeeze for more and now is left holding the bag.

Spencer Martin is obviously nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
For those interested, this cost Carolina $11,250, paid to Columbus and not counted against the cap.

Season total: $705,000
19 claims
Does the 19 claims mean that he was offered to the 19 claimants from the previous waivers and Carolina was the first in line who could and would bite?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
For those interested, this cost Carolina $11,250, paid to Columbus and not counted against the cap.

Season total: $705,000
19 claims
1705704085448.gif

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Jarmo tried to dump 5.4M and get paid for it. Ends up just giving away a freebie.
He’s been a lot less effective since Stan Bowman has been out of the league. No more easy sucker to fleece time and time again

Reactions: DaveG

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s been a lot less effective since Stan Bowman has been out of the league. No more easy sucker to fleece time and time again

9 years in CBJ. A blockerbuster signing and blockbuster trade in recent years. Only minimal light at the end of the tunnel. I don’t know, I think CBJ deserves another look from a different GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad