Confirmed with Link: CAR Hires Mike Bales: Buckley Named G Coach

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Seems likely that if it weren't Bales leaving, it would be Buckley getting poached for a staff job. Would be interesting if we end up hearing some more backstory, though.

Murray's comfortable with him -- that's good enough for me.

Yeah, that makes sense re: Buckley getting poached. If it was an either/or situation I don't blame them for going with the one Murray is more familiar with.

My initial thought involved more dump trucks full of cash being dumped on Bales' driveway.

edit: Someone on the Canes board also pointed out that Bales worked a bit with Scott Darling when Darling was on WBS's black aces squad before his AHL breakout, so that's something to note as well.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fine by me if Murray does prefer Buckley, I don't see Murray as the type that'd just want a coach to be buds with or because he's nicer, but rather a coach that can make him a better goaltender.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can someone explain this to me as a Canes fan? Seems like a lateral move at best for him unless he wanted a challenge. He was liked in Pittsburgh right?

Very much. I think the only reason this happened is because we all know MAF is leaving and we have someone else who's worked a lot with Murray and Jarry who can step in. At first this really bothered me, but with the replacement we just hired, I guess it makes sense. Slightly concerning given the success that Bales had here, but nothing we can do about it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're saying that as if it's wrong that the Penguins are doing that.

Bales did a pretty good job with MAF. We'll see how it goes, but he's not a guy I would have gotten rid of.

I don't think it's a "wrong" thing... but I don't think it's wrong to have concerns over letting a guy go who's been very good for us for someone who's not quite as proven. I mean perhaps Buckley does a fantastic job. But we already know Bales can do that job.

My only other thought is that perhaps it was a matter of only keeping one or the other. Or something else that we're not privy to - who knows.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bales did a pretty good job with MAF. We'll see how it goes, but he's not a guy I would have gotten rid of.

The Penguins didn't get rid of him, they just let him take another job somewhere else. It's not like they fired him. They probably viewed him as expendable with Buckley as the next up coach that has a history with Murray and Jarry, but that doesn't mean they got rid of him.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The ****?

Buckley has done good work with the youngsters and Bales was more involved with Fleury, but still...the ****?

For what it's worth, this kind of thing is extremely common in footy. When Thibaut Courtois succeeded Petr Cech as Chelsea's #1 keeper, we changed goalkeeping coaches despite having a guy (Lollichon) regarded as one of the very best in the world. It's not that our new coach was better than the old one, but he had a better rapport with Courtois so it only made sense considering how frequently they interact in training.

Could be something similar here.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
For what it's worth, this kind of thing is extremely common in footy. When Thibaut Courtois succeeded Petr Cech as Chelsea's #1 keeper, we changed goalkeeping coaches despite having a guy (Lollichon) regarded as one of the very best in the world. It's not that our new coach was better than the old one, but he had a better rapport with Courtois so it only made sense considering how frequently they interact in training.

Could be something similar here.
Bingo. Per Yohe, Buckley was getting the promotion whether Bales stayed or not.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah, the Bales-Fleury connection seems to make sense for the reasoning behind this I think. Bales was brought in to fix Fleury, and now that Fleury's gone, they can let Bales go and bring in the guy that has worked closely with the young goalies. I think JR wouldn't have let Carolina interview Bales for the spot if he wanted to keep him, or thought he was irreplaceable.

If anything I think JR may have done a favor to Ronnie here after the complete and utter disaster that was Marcoux for the Canes. A drunken chimp literally couldn't have ****ed up Lack and Ward more then he did.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
They weren't going to fire him outright, but he would have been demoted in the organization. I imagine, though, for a guy in his position who has had that kind of success, it was basically the same thing as a pink slip.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's really weird that they're getting rid of him like that then. I get that Bales was brought in to fix Fleury, but he did a really good job as the goalie coach over the last few years. Maybe Murray would feel more comfortable with Buckley as his goalie coach, and if that's the case, I support the move entirely. Just feels weird though, his performance as a goalie coach doesn't at all justify a demotion or firing.

Bales' quotes on this makes it even more baffling. Maybe Fleury's performance before the playoffs this year also played a part in this? This quote:

"Sometimes if things aren’t working out, the organization gets a new goaltender, and they weren’t happy with their goaltending coach, they may ask the goaltender who they like," Bales said. "If it’s a good fit for the team and the coaching staff, they’ll make changes. I don’t think it’s very common what happened here."

Seems weird because things were working out and they just won a cup based mostly on good goaltending. I could see Murray picking Buckley over Bales being a factor here, but I don't think that's a big enough factor to demote a seemingly good coach.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Wasn't expecting that. Explains the horizontal move by Bales. I guess if Murray did so well with Buckley it speaks to reason he'll continue to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad