Confirmed with Link: CAR Hires Mike Bales: Buckley Named G Coach

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Didnt know where to put this so ill make a thread.

CAR has poached Bales from us.
Damn it.
I guess Buckley moves up to be the head man PIT. Hes done well with MM and Jarry so theres that...

So whos all left/been poached so far...Bottlecap, Sexton and Bales?

Last edited:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Can someone explain this to me as a Canes fan? Seems like a lateral move at best for him unless he wanted a challenge. He was liked in Pittsburgh right?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With the success this team has had, not a surprise people are getting poached. Could see guys like Tocchet, Guerin leave eventually as well.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Can someone explain this to me as a Canes fan? Seems like a lateral move at best for him unless he wanted a challenge. He was liked in Pittsburgh right?

From what we know, he was a huge part in turning around MAF. Pens fans really like the jobs hes done.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bales was kind of specifically brought in to iron out Fleury's technical kinks so maybe they wanna bring in someone that caters more to Murray now. I dunno.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pens wanted to keep Bales i don't think they would of aloud him to interview in Carolina.

I think this is the pens preferring Buckley because of his past with Murray and Jarry.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
Bales was brought in to help Fleury...with Fleury departing the organization it makes a great deal of sense to hire a guy who has worked more closely with Murray and Jarry and was a big part of the decision-making process that went in to drafting Gustavsson.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Another thing that pops into my mind is Bales may have wanted Mike Buckley to get an NHL top guy gig. Like the Pens are in good hands with Bucks so ill just move along and help another team...

Dunno.

ETA: good points above that Buckley has more intimate knowledge of Murz and Jarry than Bales wouldve had.
+ he probably scouted Gus.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah. Had to have been a mutual decision between the team and Bales. Buckley's resume is pretty impressive for a youngish guy, and he might be more familiar with Murray. Who knows, maybe Murray prefers him too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, the Bales-Fleury connection seems to make sense for the reasoning behind this I think. Bales was brought in to fix Fleury, and now that Fleury's gone, they can let Bales go and bring in the guy that has worked closely with the young goalies. I think JR wouldn't have let Carolina interview Bales for the spot if he wanted to keep him, or thought he was irreplaceable.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Seems likely that if it weren't Bales leaving, it would be Buckley getting poached for a staff job. Would be interesting if we end up hearing some more backstory, though.

Murray's comfortable with him -- that's good enough for me.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Given the Fleury-Bales connection, this makes sense if Fleury is definitely leaving. I guess it begs the question why LV didn't bring him there if there's no question MAF is going to LV. I assume there's 0.0000001 % chance that he's going to Carolina with Ward there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Seems likely that if it weren't Bales leaving, it would be Buckley getting poached for a staff job. Would be interesting if we end up hearing some more backstory, though.

Murray's comfortable with him -- that's good enough for me.

Yep. Another good point re: promoting Murzs guy so he doesnt get poached and letting Bales walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad