Proposal: CAR - DAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Uhhh Dallas would be silly not to do the proposal. Whether Faulk is a fit for your roster or future or whatever he’s a quality player and you’d be getting him for nothing

Uhhhh no buddy he's not quality enough to warrant giving up that many pieces for 1 year of a guy who would be #4 on our list. There's better options for us. Which is why we wouldn't do it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Uhhhh no buddy he's not quality enough to warrant giving up that many pieces for 1 year of a guy who would be #4 on our list. There's better options for us. Which is why we wouldn't do it.

We aren't giving up anyone of value or that will ever be a lock for our roster tho anyways. At least Faulk would play consistent minutes

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think this is to little for Faulk, but he won’t get back full value for the Canes. With one year left and is 15 team NTC the amount of teams in the running will likely be low. Feels a lot like the Skinner situation last summer.

I’d be willing to give up a decent piece if there was an extension in place.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
We aren't giving up anyone of value or that will ever be a lock for our roster tho anyways. At least Faulk would play consistent minutes

This isn't EA NHL, yet people keep proposing offers in that fashion. Faulk had 1 good offensive season in 2015 and isn't all that great in his own zone.

Are we getting him for offensive output? He's been a 30-35 pt guy the last few years and half of those points came from the PP. He's not getting that many points on the 2nd unit in Dallas.

So we're giving up a depth winger who has put up similar points without it being on the power play, a RHD reclamation project, one of our top AHL scorers who could put up similar points to Janmark, and a pick for a guy who you can guarantee we wouldn't offer an extension to for the money he'll be wanting?

Its just piss poor asset management, and there's going to be offers that make more sense for both sides from teams who are thin on the blue-line.

Reactions: Kuola

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not a fan but:

Faulk
Retention to make cap work?

For

Robertson
Janmark
Tufte

Closer?

And thats way too much especially with how currently Faulk plays this. It's very likely Faul has every team could be even remotely interested on the list of teams he can block so he can't be just shipped off as a rental. Meaning teams with interest probably can only trade for him if you extend him prior to playing for you and since its reported he wants a NMC in his new deal for the expansion draft for longterm security that signficantly lowers his value. Hell if i'm honest that makes me not want to trade for him because i wouldn't be willing to give him a NMC under any circumstances. He'd be the #4 defenseman on the Stars . He ain't getting a NMC from the Stars.

As a rental i'd like to give it a try and see where it goes but extending prior to playing a game in a Stars uniform ? Nah i'll pass

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Any deal between Dallas and Carolina requires Dallas to add salary while sending salary back to Carolina. The real problem with this is that outside of it's superstars, Dallas has no player with any significant salary that is a need or of interest to Carolina. The best deals between these two teams would include prospect(s)/pick(s) from Dallas and Faulk's salary coming back....even with retention that won't work within Dallas's current cap situation. And with retention, the Canes rightfully should expect a better return.

For all of these reasons, I just don't see a deal happening between these two teams that would include Faulk.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If any team is going to add to a Faulk deal to sweeten the pot, its the Canes. We have plenty of pieces to the point that we probably have too many. We certainly don't need a deal where we are adding more to that.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Any deal between Dallas and Carolina requires Dallas to add salary while sending salary back to Carolina. The real problem with this is that outside of it's superstars, Dallas has no player with any significant salary that is a need or of interest to Carolina. The best deals between these two teams would include prospect(s)/pick(s) from Dallas and Faulk's salary coming back....even with retention that won't work within Dallas's current cap situation. And with retention, the Canes rightfully should expect a better return.

For all of these reasons, I just don't see a deal happening between these two teams that would include Faulk.

Once Hanzal and Johns go on LTIR the Stars will have Capspace for a move . Right now they don't thats true. Prior to both getting LTIR'ed the Stars making a move isn't happening anyway.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So as I thought, this is definitely way too little going to Carolina.

What's a realistic offer from Dallas for Faulk, then?

The problem is that you are offering nothing of real value to Carolina in this deal, and certainly nothing that makes the team better.

Honka: Would either have to be waived (and likely claimed) or if the Canes chose not to waive him, they'd likely have to lose Haydn Fleury to waivers to make room for Honka. It's a zero sum gain.
Janmark: Where would he fit? Maybe he knocks Wallmark off as the 4th line C, but does that make the team materially better? On top of that, the Canes would likely lose Wallmark to waivers and then Janmark is a UFA at season's end (and he costs more now).
L'Esperance: An AHL caliber player.
4th Round pick: Canes already have two 1sts, two 2nds and two 3rds in this coming draft and had 12 picks in the last draft. A 4th round pick on it's own isn't much value, but for a team like Carolina is meaningless.

It's a bunch of pieces that aren't very valuable to Carolina, nor do they fit particularly well. IMO, Faulk should garner a late 1st or a 2nd and decent prospect as a rental, so if the Canes can't get at least that, or someone who CAN help the NHL team (even if it means adding to Faulk), then the Canes are probably better off keeping him and letting him go UFA when his contract is up.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The problem is that you are offering nothing of real value to Carolina in this deal, and certainly nothing that makes the team better.

Honka: Would either have to be waived (and likely claimed) or if the Canes chose not to waive him, they'd likely have to lose Haydn Fleury to waivers to make room for Honka. It's a zero sum gain.
Janmark: Where would he fit? Maybe he knocks Wallmark off as the 4th line C, but does that make the team materially better? On top of that, the Canes would likely lose Wallmark to waivers and then Janmark is a UFA at season's end (and he costs more now).
L'Esperance: An AHL caliber player.
4th Round pick: Canes already have two 1sts, two 2nds and two 3rds in this coming draft and had 12 picks in the last draft. A 4th round pick on it's own isn't much value, but for a team like Carolina is meaningless.

It's a bunch of pieces that aren't very valuable to Carolina, nor do they fit particularly well. IMO, Faulk should garner a late 1st or a 2nd and decent prospect as a rental, so if the Canes can't get at least that, or someone who CAN help the NHL team (even if it means adding to Faulk), then the Canes are probably better off keeping him and letting him go UFA when his contract is up.

You're not getting a late 1st and a decent prospect for Justin Faulk as a rental.

You're probably getting conditional picks for him because he has way too much control over his situation and is shutting down deals that dont include a contract extension for him.

Zuccarello got a conditional 2nd and conditional 3rd as a deadline rental and he was far more valuable than Faulk is right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You're not getting a late 1st and a decent prospect for Justin Faulk as a rental.

You're probably getting conditional picks for him because he has way too much control over his situation and is shutting down deals that dont include a contract extension for him.

Zuccarello got a conditional 2nd and conditional 3rd as a deadline rental and he was far more valuable than Faulk is right now.

You may be right, but you read what I wrote wrong (or more likely I wrote it poorly). I meant EITHER a late 1st (and that's it) -OR- a 2nd and prospect. NOT a 1st and prospect.

Deadline deals aren't predictable year to year as it depends on supply and demand. You are right that sometimes deadline deals aren't as good and they weren't great this past season. Maybe that will be the case this year, but maybe not due to supply and demand. Andrej Sekera, for instance, a few years ago got a late 1st and Roland McKeown (recent 2nd round pick) for example. Jeff Skinner was basically a full year rental coming off a bad year and got a 2nd, 3rd and prospect and he literally had 2 teams he would go to (and Toronto couldn't afford him so really 1).

Faulk, IMO, is more valuable to Carolina as a member of the 19-20 Hurricanes than a couple of conditional picks. If there's a deal that makes sense, then I'd be all for a trade. If not, I'd prefer they keep him rather than a couple of conditional picks that won't help the team now, and probably won't in the future. This management group in Carolina is very unpredictable though, so that's just my view and I've been wrong about them more than I've been right.

Regardless, the OP's deal does nothing for Carolina at all and I laid out the reasons why.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Faulk’s a pretty good player. Might be the top D aside from Barrie on the FA market this season.

If Anaheim is or were really offering Kase, that indicates that Carolina wants NHL help. Rightfully so since they’re a contender. Our closest equivalent would be Hintz or maybe Faksa if there were adds involved.

Reactions: BHD

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jeff Skinner was basically a full year rental coming off a bad year and got a 2nd, 3rd and prospect and he literally had 2 teams he would go to (and Toronto couldn't afford him so really 1).

Don't forget the 2020 6th. I'll stake my claim now that it will be the biggest piece of them all in fullness of time.

We really need to do a @tarheelhockey 's Lindros-like listing of how the Skinner trade will fall for us.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Don't forget the 2020 6th. I'll stake my claim now that it will be the biggest piece of them all in fullness of time.

We really need to do a @tarheelhockey 's Lindros-like listing of how the Skinner trade will fall for us.
I’m pretty sure Carolina sent that pick Florida’s way in he Darling/Reimer swap, so you’ll have to take it up with them.

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
a bunch of lesser pieces for faulk won't go well with the carolina faithful.

that being said, i could see something like this going down.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If I had to guess, I could see Carolina taking a futures/picks deal, then packaging an impressive group of picks and prospects for a key forward this season.

Perhaps a player like Ehlers.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad