Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Scott Morrow signs ELC with the Hurricanes (3 years, $916.667k AAV)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Brady Skjei replacement
always interested to see how a young player gets integrated into an already strong blueline
Yep. Most teams would probably rush him into being the #6 as soon as next season, but Rod will likely prefer a vet option unless he just beats the pants off the competition in camp. Honestly Morrow may be better served to start next season on a top pairing in the A anyway to adjust to the speed of the pro game.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Looks like the contract got registered for the current season so that means Morrow will burn the first year (because of his age, he doesn't need to play in 10+ NHL games). We'll see if Morrow gets in a regular season game, maybe if Carolina is locked into a certain spot down the stretch?
Yes it means. That slightly slower base salary for 2023-24 means he has a $25k games played bonus for playing 5 games this spring, and it wouldn't be there if Canes wasn't planning to play him those 5 games.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Looks like the contract got registered for the current season so that means Morrow will burn the first year (because of his age, he doesn't need to play in 10+ NHL games). We'll see if Morrow gets in a regular season game, maybe if Carolina is locked into a certain spot down the stretch?
Would really test TDA's patience to quickly slot Morrow in over him lol. But yeah I think it would make sense to give him some minutes in one of the last couple games if seeding isn't on the line. Don't think Rod would go for it though

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Defence maybe won’t be so strong next year. 4/7 are ufa’s this summer. Burns, Slavin and Orlov are the only ones under contract.
Morrow is the only signed beyond next season.

I still think Skjei gets extended if he stays for a reasonable number, Slavin stays too. My guess is Pesce goes and if Orlov wont take a massive paycut, hes the holding place for Nikishin. Ideal next season:

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Morrow
Orlov - Chatfield

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Morrow is the only signed beyond next season.

I still think Skjei gets extended if he stays for a reasonable number, Slavin stays too. My guess is Pesce goes and if Orlov wont take a massive paycut, hes the holding place for Nikishin. Ideal next season:

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Morrow
Orlov - Chatfield
If we keep Necas and KK and re-sign Skjei, there's likely no salary cap left for Guentzel.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If we keep Necas and KK and re-sign Skjei, there's likely no salary cap left for Guentzel.
I've said it before. I don't think this front office ever had any intentions on Skjei being anything but essentially a whole-season own-rental, once they signed Orlov.

I am going to be unsurprised when it comes out after he signs elsewhere that we never even talked extension or made an offer.

Likewise, I think the long-term plan has Morrow pairing with Slavin in-time, replacing Burns after he retires.

They just don't view defensemen other than Slavin as integral and irreplaceable.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

"Scott Morrow is one of the most gifted players I have worked with during my time as head coach at UMass," said Carvel.

Sure, but what does that even mean? I doubt Carvel even coached any gifted players, much less defensemen. :sarcasm:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Wanted him in the Pens deal but Jake a rental limited Dubas deal. He did fine BTW. He is what the Pens need to add to the mix as a young RH D man who has skill. Canes are in really good shape but a goalie is a need and jake will be gone as they know 7 years at 9 or 10 million just isn't in the plans.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wanted him in the Pens deal but Jake a rental limited Dubas deal. He did fine BTW. He is what the Pens need to add to the mix as a young RH D man who has skill. Canes are in really good shape but a goalie is a need and jake will be gone as they know 7 years at 9 or 10 million just isn't in the plans.
We have Kochetkov as our goalie of the near future and he’s playing perfectly fine in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad