Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Scott Morrow signs ELC with the Hurricanes (3 years, $916.667k AAV)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Awesome news for Canes fans.

I bet the deal involved burning a year off the ole' ELC and having Morrow as a black ace for the playoffs. That's a decent motivator for him. If he doesn't sign at all with the Canes, he has to wait until August 2025 and so his ELC would end 2 years later IIRC.

I doubt he was guaranteed a starting role for next year. Brind'Amour is not the guy who guarantees anyone a spot. Gotta earn it in camp. Looks wide open for Morrow to at least make the top 7 next year given all our expiring contracts at D.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Awesome news for Canes fans.

I bet the deal involved burning a year off the ole' ELC and having Morrow as a black ace for the playoffs. That's a decent motivator for him. If he doesn't sign at all with the Canes, he has to wait until August 2025 and so his ELC would end 2 years later IIRC.

I doubt he was guaranteed a starting role for next year. Brind'Amour is not the guy who guarantees anyone a spot. Gotta earn it in camp. Looks wide open for Morrow to at least make the top 7 next year given all our expiring contracts at D.

Any top NCAA player ELC just burns that first year by default now. It's kinda silly but standard practice.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Any top NCAA player ELC just burns that first year by default now. It's kinda silly but standard practice.
Recent years thr nhl season has lasted after thr frozen 4. Prior years frozen 4 happened thr final weekend of nhl season killing frozen 4 players burning year 1.

Reactions: DaveG

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Nhl season ends after that event. For years teams finished season ethe same weekend as thst event..

Now frozen 4 teams can sign pro contracts and play a game burning year 1.

They (non-teenager) don't necessarily need to play a game to burn a year. Joey Anderson won the 2018 National Title on April 7. The Devils played their final regular season game the same night. Anderson signed his ELC on April 15 and the contract was registered for that season which got burned without him playing. I forget if he physically joined the Devils as they were wrapping up their first round series with Tampa.

In past years, I recall Alex Lyon signing with Philadelphia and he got to burn the first year immediately without officially playing. I vaguely recall that he might have suited up as a backup. I forget if an undrafted guy could sign after the regular season and have his contract be registered that year. I remember Drake Caggiula winning the National title and then taking several weeks to decide where to sign since the Frozen Four coincided with the end of the NHL regular season.

Reactions: DaveG

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Scott Morrow to a three-year, entry-level contract. Morrow will receive $807,500 at the NHL level in 2023-24 and $832,500 at the NHL level in 2024-25 and 2025-26. He will receive $80,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level for all three seasons, and the deal will include a signing bonus of $277,500.

Looks like the contract got registered for the current season so that means Morrow will burn the first year (because of his age, he doesn't need to play in 10+ NHL games). We'll see if Morrow gets in a regular season game, maybe if Carolina is locked into a certain spot down the stretch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad