Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Andrei Svechnikov (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Svech has 140 points through his first 3 seasons. Nylander had 135 points. Marner had 224.

Marner is a dumb comparison for Svech. If you insist on comparing Svech to a Leaf for some reason, clearly Nylander is the apt comparison.
Yes, I'm aware that Marner and Nylander weren't NHLers in their rookie seasons. That's why I compared their ages, when someone said that Svechnikov's contract was bad based on his most recent two years compared to Marner's most recent two years.

Also, Svechnikov's two most recent seasons were cut short, which raw point totals don't reflect.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This has potential to be a ridiculously team friendly contract in a very, very short period of time.

If we are able to offload Gardiner, we'll have over $8m in cap space to go out and get someone like Tarasenko or Eichel even after this extension, meaning we'll still likely be able to fit Necas in the fold as well.

Reactions: cptjeff

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Marner is quite a bit older than Svechnikov. When Marner was Svechnikov's age, his best season was at 69 points in 82 games.
Well i guess its a lock for Svech to put up 90+ points this season!

Player development and performance is clearly a linear trend. Just like how Svech has improved his point totals every season. Oh wait that hasn't happened... You know who has though? Mitch Marner ;)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Nice job by the Canes on this one. He could end up looking like a 10 million dollar player very quickly

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well i guess its a lock for Svech to put up 90+ points this season!

Player development and performance is clearly a linear trend. Just like how Svech has improved his point totals every season. Oh wait that hasn't happened... You know how was though? Mitch Marner ;)
You seem to think I'm arguing something I'm not. I'm saying that paying a 21 year old good money isn't a bad bet when he has produced at ~68 points per 82 games over the past two seasons. I'm not saying that improvements in production is linear.

I can see how that would be confusing.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Don't know much about Sevecholikov as a player but that's a lot for a player that hasn't won much and has only played 3 seasons.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Marner is quite a bit older than Svechnikov. When Marner was Svechnikov's age, his best season was at 69 points in 82 games.

This is silly. I don't love Marner's contract but it's not relevant here at all. It's a year difference and the reality is you sign your contract when you sign your contract. A player that might breakout in his D+4 is not on equal footing with someone who has actually done it.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yes, I'm aware that Marner and Nylander weren't NHLers in their rookie seasons. That's why I compared their ages, when someone said that Svechnikov's contract was bad based on his most recent two years compared to Marner's most recent two years.

Also, Svechnikov's two most recent seasons were cut short, which raw point totals don't reflect.

Marner was a fulltime NHLer in his rookie season. Svechnikov played more games through his first 3 than Nylander - in fact on PPG basis, I believe Nylander was ahead of Svechnikov through first 3.

Marner vs Svech is a very dumb comparison - anyone who makes it is a bit simple-minded. Nylander vs Svech is the comparison for anyone who wants to compare him to a Leaf player.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Marner was a fulltime NHLer in his rookie season. Svechnikov played more games through his first 3 than Nylander - in fact on PPG basis, I believe Nylander was ahead of Svechnikov.

Marner vs Svech is a very dumb comparison - anyone who makes it is a bit simple-minded. Nylander vs Svech is the comparison for anyone who wants to compare him to a Leaf player.
Nylander didn't become a full-time NHLer until his draft+3 season, which makes it even more nonsensical to compare his raw point totals with a player who played his draft+1, 2 and 3 seasons in the NHL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Marner was a fulltime NHLer in his rookie season. Svechnikov played more games through his first 3 than Nylander - in fact on PPG basis, I believe Nylander was ahead of Svechnikov.

Svech after 3 years, 205 games, 140 points. 0.68 PPG 9.51% of the cap
Nylander at time of signing - 185 games, 135 points 0.72 PPG 8.76% of the cap

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This is silly. I don't love Marner's contract but it's not relevant here at all. It's a year difference and the reality is you sign your contract when you sign your contract. A player that might breakout in his D+4 is not on equal footing with someone who has actually done it.
Did you read the post I replied to before deciding that I was saying that Svechnikov was on equal footing with Marner?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And this is why the FO was willing to let Dougie get his big white whale contract elsewhere. Very short-term pain in exchange for very long-term gain (having the requisite space for getting 8 years instead of 2-3 with Svech).
It was still a dick move to tear a limb off our defence.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nylander didn't become a full-time NHLer until his draft+3 season, which makes it even more nonsensical to compare his raw point totals with a player who played his draft+1, 2 and 3 seasons in the NHL.

Marner entered the NHL at 19, same as Nylander. It's stupid to justify the comparison for one but not the other on the basis of age.

Svech also posted a worse season in year 3 than year 2 so maybe stop acting like development is linear and assured.

Reactions: TML1990

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He put up some points against the worst defensive team in the league playing their 3rd best goalie, I guess.
And in their careers, marner still has a slightly better ppg in the playoffs :help:

But its okay, time to move the goal posts somewhere else to shit on the Leafs.

Comparing Svech to Marner is just stupid. Compare him to someone like Kyle Connor, Ehlers, Nylander etc. But everyone has to try and take a shot at the Leafs whenever they can, yet everyone questions why most threads turn into a discussion about the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad