Captain Poll Run Off Dubinsky Vs Foligno

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Funny thing is, before this season, I doubt anyone would have said Foligno and Dubi would have run away with the fan vote on this board. Dubi did nothing to lose his status, as far as I'm concerned. Foligno had a hell of a year and really "came out of his shell" to embrace the community and everything. Slap a permanent "A" on Foligno, he is the type of player that you absolutely want as a second banana type, but Dubi is your captain.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
OK. Foligno was a captain of the NHL all-stars team and it looked like he was well respected by his teammates. He was the one who spoke for the team after the last home game. And Foligno was an alternate captain.
He hits, he fights, he can score goals, he's a good leader and also he can can talk to the refs with respect and say "Calm down. Just relax" when it needed. And he can talk to the youngsters as an all-star.
What else you can ask from your captain?

For whatever reason Foligno has rarely worn the A.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
[puts on MayorBee hat]

reminds me of a recent situation with Spin and I's Tottenham Hotspur team. Harry Kane the up and rising star playing his tail off and impressing, Spurs mgmt gives him the captain's arm band, he stops scoring. They take the band off of him and he scores the meaningful goal in that first game without the captain's band. Let Nick go be Nick and do what he's doing, don't bog him down with added weight of responsibility.

[takes off MayorBee hat]

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
[puts on MayorBee hat]

reminds me of a recent situation with Spin and I's Tottenham Hotspur team. Harry Kane the up and rising star playing his tail off and impressing, Spurs mgmt gives him the captain's arm band, he stops scoring. They take the band off of him and he scores the meaningful goal in that first game without the captain's band. Let Nick go be Nick and do what he's doing, don't bog him down with added weight of responsibility.

[takes off MayorBee hat]

....still owe you a drink, don't I?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Voted Dubi - I value consistency of leadership and effort over the years.

If 2014-15 Foligno becomes permanent fixture, then I understand the leaning in that direction, but there is a part of me that thinks Foligno hasn't yet earned it with the one year of raised play and one year of exemplary leadership (partly due to Dubi's absence w injury). I concede that no one other than the staff and players know what the room is really like - perhaps Foligno has shown more leadership in prior years than I perceive.
But based on what limited information I have - Dubi still the choice.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

If 2014-15 Foligno becomes permanent fixture, then I understand the leaning in that direction, but there is a part of me that thinks Foligno hasn't yet earned it with the one year of raised play and one year of exemplary leadership (partly due to Dubi's absence w injury). I concede that no one other than the staff and players know what the room is really like - perhaps Foligno has shown more leadership in prior years than I perceive.
What if I told you that Nick would have been my choice of captain almost ever since he got here, but that I haven't been pushing the idea because I thought the whole "WE NEED A CAPTAIN OMG" bit was massively overstated, and I'm only bringing it up now because Jarmo has made it clear a captain is inevitable? :)

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hartnell also stated after the season he thinks the team needs a Captain

Respected Veteran who came in and did everything the club expected and more...his statement had to have an impact on their decision

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

This is a great post. None of us know what the room dynamic is. If you read this thread, Dubi is a hot head, and Foligno is cool as a cucumber. Yet Foligno didnt wear an A this year unless other A were injured. Foligno is a fine player, probably a great teammate, and man, have you see the hug he gives Bob. But its one year. Dubi changed the culture of this team, when he came into the organization. He leads by example. The team has a much better record when he plays. I posted above, the jackets were 11-0 when him and Boone both suited up this season. Last year in the playoffs against the Penguins, if not for Dubi taking team on his back and challenging Sidney Crosby, and taking Crosby out of his game, and more or less the series. The jackets probably are an easy series for the Penguins. We all know that wasnt the case. Foligno should definately have an A though in my mind.

Last edited:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Dubinsky. My man-crush on him is well known. I'd follow the guy into a brick wall.

I like Foligno, and he does have great leadership qualities (along with 6-7 other guys), but to me, he's only just now becoming part of this role with this team. For example, this year he wore the A for a few games when the injury situation was worst. Tyutin, Boll also rotated it. JMFJ, Letestu and Dubi were the constants. As far as I know, Dubi has never not worn an A for the CBJ. This gives some insight into what the team thinks, IMO.

Foligno's emergence has put him in the discussion, for sure, but I'm just not sure he has the body of work to have earned it.

I would go with a core of Dubi as C, JMFJ and Foligno as the A's. Next men up would be Letestu, if here, and Tyutin then Jenner.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He's been my pick for captain since he was on the Rangers. That video is just fantastic. I'd follow that guy.

Yep he brought the culture change the Cbj needed desperately. That interview is seared in my memory , that instantly made him one of my favorite players. Absolutely no excuses in that interview. He leads by how he plays, as well as what he says.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Everyone talks about the even keel of Foligno, which I love. That's why he's the good cop to Dubi's fiery bad cop. If Dubi's railing on a teamate for doing something idiotic, you can have Foligno come in after to help build them back up. It's good to have both.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yep he brought the culture change the Cbj needed desperately. That interview is seared in my memory , that instantly made him one of my favorite players. Absolutely no excuses in that interview. He leads by how he plays, as well as what he says.

The culture changed started long before - with Wiz, perhaps Vinny, and JMFJ. It continued with the shipping out of a few players as well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What stood out to me about Foligno was when we first traded for him and he had that interview when he said he wanted to be the guy the coach looked to first for every situation and that he was willing to earn it. And at the point he was nothing but 2nd/3rd line tweener in most people's eyes, but i knew at that moment if given a chance to take a main role on the team he would excel. I think thats what it takes not saying Dubinsky doesnt have it because he obviously does. Its just a really close race for C.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is a great post. None of us know what the room dynamic is. If you read this thread, Dubi is a hot head, and Foligno is cool as a cucumber. Yet Foligno didnt wear an A this year unless other A were injured. Foligno is a fine player, probably a great teammate, and man, have you see the hug he gives Bob. But its one year. Dubi changed the culture of this team, when he came into the organization. He leads by example. The team has a much better record when he plays. I posted above, the jackets were 11-0 when him and Boone both suited up this season. Last year in the playoffs against the Penguins, if not for Dubi taking team on his back and challenging Sidney Crosby, and taking Crosby out of his game, and more or less the series. The jackets probably are an easy series for the Penguins. We all know that wasnt the case. Foligno should definately have an A though in my mind.

You should have stopped with this sentence rather than adding all that conjecture about what Foligno not having an A means, when it probably means nothing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I personally prefer Foligno. However, I think Dubinsky has wanted the C for a long time and he'll be upset if he doesn't get it.

Here's a plausible theory. The club doesn't want to give the C to Dubi, and doesn't want to piss him off and ruin a decent working leadership structure. So it hasn't given it to anybody for years.

(Yes this is all conjecture too;)).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I was really torn until re-watching this video. Dubi it is.

It's interesting how people perceive things differently.

This video reinforces my belief that Dubinsky would become a broken record very quickly. He sounds like a coach. The Jackets already have a coach. Don't have the need for more coachspeak.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
http://www.jacketscannon.com/2015/4/13/8407383/the-case-for-nick-folignos-captaincy

This grisly setting turned out to be Foligno’s proving ground. Given first-line minutes for the first time in his career, largely out of necessity, he began to steadily rack up points. With a void of leadership and a team falling into the despair of its situation, he began to step up in other ways as well. He helped rookie call-ups work on their shots after practice. He went out and played his heart out in games with a roster too patchwork to have a prayer of winning. And perhaps most importantly, he was able to be a bright spot in the room during the worst stretches.

"It’s the way he carries himself. All the tough things we’ve been through, all the dark times, and he’s the same guy every day, always a big smile on his face," Ryan Johansen said after Foligno’s first ever hat trick in an early April game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. He became a point that the team could rally around.

Screams captain to me..

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This video reinforces my belief that Dubinsky would become a broken record very quickly. He sounds like a coach. The Jackets already have a coach. Don't have the need for more coachspeak.

The captain is there to re-inforce the messages the coaches are giving. If your captain isn't doing that, he's actually hurting the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad