Tribute Captain Morgan our number 1 D

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He has been as good as I thought he was. He has always been our best D man and it is funny that the thread last year was embarrassing so many wanted him to be traded. He took a discount twice to be a leaf a decision I had hope would see others follow...but sadly not. I posted last year he would be lights out in the playoffs...he was. Look at his Pims this year...

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
This is the best he's been in his own end his entire career. I don't care if it means his offensive numbers are down (haven't checked, TBH). He'll never intimidate anyone, but, he doesn't get walked or pushed around. He's also much better on the 2 on ones. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a lot of 2 on ones on his watch which is a testament to his good play. I think last years playoffs was a sort of coming of age as a D-man for him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is the best he's been in his own end his entire career. I don't care if it means his offensive numbers are down (haven't checked, TBH). He'll never intimidate anyone, but, he doesn't get walked or pushed around. He's also much better on the 2 on ones. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a lot of 2 on ones on his watch which is a testament to his good play. I think last years playoffs was a sort of coming of age as a D-man for him.

Currently on pace for about 12 goals and 60 points.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Rielly is awesome, and always has been awesome. Some people want him to be something he isn't or can't be. He isn't blessed with the size of a Hedman who can do it all, but he still does the best he can. Is he your prototypical #1 the way we think of such? Maybe not, but he's our #1.

He is offensively gifted, an eloquent skater, and can make a good first pass when needed. He has his warts defensively, and we've seen that the last few games, but for his inability to be a big bruiser, he makes up with solid positioning more often than not. He gets crapped on for some of his plays, but look around at some of the other D in the league just like him (ie. Letang), and they're just the same.

He continues to evolve, and as to one of the poster's point above, the team has no one decent behind him at this point that the spread between him and the rest is widening (since Muzzin is done and Brodie has regressed). Have long awaited the team to find him a stay-at-home bruiser to pair with him so he could be a bit "freer" out there while knowing the back end is covered.

All on top of that, he's the one player who elevates his play come playoff time, and he re-signed for the long-term at a very reasonable deal that will see us take him close to retirement.

Have hoped to see a star player be developed by the Leafs from the time of drafting right through to retirement for a long, long time. Rielly just might be that guy.

He's been my favourite Leaf pretty much from the onset, he was my choice as captain, and I look forward to see him continue being the pillar of this team for many more years to come.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
He's been excellent this year, hard to find a compliant.
Now if he could only get the rest to follow his lead.
Important question. Additionally, is this a group that will ever follow?

Takes a certain kind of consistency that our club seems intrinsically incapable of producing.

And maybe it’s a function of requisite depth. Maybe without identifiable, quality depth, our composition can’t produce a momentum of Will, because there’s a lack in locker room leadership to that end.

Apathy seems in much more supply than determination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad